E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Zone Battery Installed, Huge Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I think the "registration" is simply to mate the car with the new hardware or in this case the battery. Have you ever noticed that anytime you install something new in the electronics such as a module/sensor/head unit you have to have the car "programmed"? I think its just telling the car that this is the new battery... I may have to get the software to do some of this myself! I go to a BMW Tech on the side so it cost me peanuts, but even peanuts are more than doing it myself.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by markrl
To maximise the benefits of the cars advanced electronics you should really register the battery by resetting the IBS, its really very easy to do.

The car wont immediately self implode if you don't but in the long run you may shorten the battery life or get annoying high discharge warnings. If you have a bog standard low spec car with a lead acid battery then it wont matter so much as the batteries are relatively cheap and with no power hungry accessories it will probably be just fine.

If you are fortunate enough to own a top end vehicle fitted with all the bells and whistles and every electrical power accessory known to man with an expensive AGM battery then quite honestly you would be pretty dump not to register the battery. You will then maximise the life of your very expensive AGM battery and benefit from all the advanced power management features of the car.

If you do have a low spec car and a lead acid battery with few gadgets or decide that battery registration is simply just not your cup of tea (so to speak) then you may as well disconnect the IBS as it will be serving absolutely no purpose. You will then have a car with a standard charging system and your IBS need never trouble you again with high discharge warnings or interfere with the charging process with its incorrect charging profile.

BMW need have nothing to do with your battery registration because its so easy to do and you can save your money so that they can fleece you with something that is far more lucrative.
That is quite a post you made without actually telling anyone how to do such an easy task.

My AGM battery cost $210. I'm not sure that is in the very expensive category.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by markrl
To maximise the benefits of the cars advanced electronics you should really register the battery by resetting the IBS, its really very easy to do.

The car wont immediately self implode if you don't but in the long run you may shorten the battery life or get annoying high discharge warnings. If you have a bog standard low spec car with a lead acid battery then it wont matter so much as the batteries are relatively cheap and with no power hungry accessories it will probably be just fine.

If you are fortunate enough to own a top end vehicle fitted with all the bells and whistles and every electrical power accessory known to man with an expensive AGM battery then quite honestly you would be pretty dump not to register the battery. You will then maximise the life of your very expensive AGM battery and benefit from all the advanced power management features of the car.

If you do have a low spec car and a lead acid battery with few gadgets or decide that battery registration is simply just not your cup of tea (so to speak) then you may as well disconnect the IBS as it will be serving absolutely no purpose. You will then have a car with a standard charging system and your IBS need never trouble you again with high discharge warnings or interfere with the charging process with its incorrect charging profile.

BMW need have nothing to do with your battery registration because its so easy to do and you can save your money so that they can fleece you with something that is far more lucrative.
What is your experience with car electronics? Are you just quoting this from some article found online? This still doesn't explain why? Sounds like BMW owner's are just accepting the way it was built without asking why it's necessary, which there should be a much more simple ways of doing things, rather than making it complicated so that most basic owners can not service these cars themselves.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Boost7
What is your experience with car electronics? Are you just quoting this from some article found online? This still doesn't explain why? Sounds like BMW owner's are just accepting the way it was built without asking why it's necessary, which there should be a much more simple ways of doing things, rather than making it complicated so that most basic owners can not service these cars themselves.
I think we all know the auto makers are not interested in you servicing your own car, they put these systems in for a reason, to get you to bring the car to the dealers where they make lots of money off you...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 525i

Originally Posted by Boost7
Well my experience professionally was actually in avionics rather then cars (where I do not make any claim to be an expert) however you might be rather surprised at how much of this so called electronic bull shit stuff started out on military aircraft over 25 years ago. The MOST communications bus, intelligent battery management and quite a bit more all have their roots firmly in aviation (just like BMW I suppose). The motor industry may use different terminology but the basic concepts are the same.

I can remember learning about the concept of some of this stuff for the introduction to the Fleet Air Arm of the Sea Harrier back in 1980 (might be giving my age away a bit here).

If your car has a lot of electronic accessories and an AGM battery then I would say register it. If you own a a basic model with few accessories and a lead acid battery then you will probably be OK without registration but given that it is very easy to do I cant understand why you simply wouldn't do it? I'm talking here about clearing the IBS battery charging data rather then coding in a new type or size of battery. The simplest way I've seen is the US made Bav Tech tool its literally a couple of clicks for IBS data reset provided your particular model/DME is supported (I believe European N53 engined vehicle owners need not apply). There is also a European Carsoft tool that seems very similar. If you still want the full explanation on IBS follow the link below then you can make your own informed decision. If you then still think that its all a load of BS then don't bother with the registration. I completely agree and share your frustration that the cars have been made very complicated with an excessive need for computer coding which greatly benefits the dealers who are doubtless making a great deal of money.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...M_GB_TT_13.pdf

By the way if anyone knows where in the UK I can get a OEM BMW AGM Battery for 210USD (£132) could you please drop me a pm.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 545i loaded, Sport

I just had my battery replaced by an Indy and he replaced it with an OEM Exide battery with the car running. They told me that with the car running you don't get error codes.
It worked.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by 545LV
I just had my battery replaced by an Indy and he replaced it with an OEM Exide battery with the car running. They told me that with the car running you don't get error codes.
It worked.
i only feel safe doing that, if you have another battery temporarily jumpered to the car, while swapping out the main battery. the battery acts like a capacitor, and by removing it, you take a chance of unsteady voltage.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by 545LV
It worked.
I would never do this....ever. These cars are not like any other car, they rely on the battery even while running. But if it worked, it worked, must be a bit more to it like an external power supply. Especially if you have an IBS. Perhaps they didnt tell you all
Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

good to hear you got it fixed. i don't have any battery issues yet, but I think i might just replace the battery since it's been since 10/06 when the car was built and I haven't changed it out since. maybe my car came with a nuclear battery
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by SD5Series
good to hear you got it fixed. i don't have any battery issues yet, but I think i might just replace the battery since it's been since 10/06 when the car was built and I haven't changed it out since. maybe my car came with a nuclear battery
I've had an OE battery last for 9 yrs..anything above 5 is good IMO.

Quick Reply: Auto Zone Battery Installed, Huge Problems!!!