E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Zone Battery Installed, Huge Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE: ISSUE RESOLVED

Went to local Indy shop down the street, they tested the battery and alternator and everything checked out okay.

They then tried doing an ECU reading with their scanner the vehicle would not recognize the scanner, so he recommended checking all fuses in the vehicle.

All fuses in trunk were checked and turned out okay, then all fuses in dash were checked and found that one 5 amp fuse was blown out. After replacing the 5 amp fuse we restarted the vehicle and no error or warning messages appeared. We were then able to read the ECU and no issues were detected with their scanner. The guy said to just give him 10 bucks, so paid him and I was on my way.

Crazy how one little 5 amp fuse in the dash created all these errors and caused almost half of my electrical components to not operate properly, needless to say I'm greatful it was such a minor fix and didn't cost an arm and leg. Hopefully this will provide some insight in case anyone experiences similar symptoms when replacing their battery.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

Moral of the story: Non-registered Duralast wins over OEM again at a fraction of the price!

I'be been running mine for 2+ weeks with absolutely 0 issues. Oh, and when/if it does fail in the next 3 years, I get a free replacement and pro-rated for an additional 5 years!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Went to lo cal Indy shop down the street, they tested the battery and alternator and everything checked out okay.
They then tried doing an ECU reading with their scanner the vehicle would not recognize the scanner, so he recommended checking all fuses in the vehicle.
All fuses in trunk were checked and turned out okay, then all fuses in dash were checked and found that one 5 amp fuse was blown out. After replacing the 5 amp fuse we restarted the vehicle and no error or warning messages appeared. We were then able to read the ECU and no issues were detected with their scanner. The guy said to just give him 10 bucks, so paid him and I was on my way.
Crazy how one little 5 amp fuse in the dash created all these errors and caused almost half of my electrical components to not operate properly, needless to say I'm greatful it was such a minor fix anddidn't cost an arm and leg. Hopefully this will provide some insight in case anyone experiences similar symptoms when replacing their battery.
The devil is in the details - $10 !!! I hope you bought that INDY lunch!! Sounds like a mechanic you want to keep in your speed-dial!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Which 5 amp fuse is it for?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by luigi524td
The devil is in the details - $10 !!! I hope you bought that INDY lunch!! Sounds like a mechanic you want to keep in your speed-dial!
I second that, if not for the indy you could be chasing your tail for another month and still not find the problem!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Persian_535i

Went to local Indy shop down the street ... found that one 5 amp fuse was blown.
AWESOME! Glad it was an easy fix! Thanks for posting the solution. Do you know which fuse it was?

Originally Posted by Small Tomato
Oh my, you still quote my post as your signature!! ha ha ha
Dude, it's perfect! How can I not use it!?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by balbs
Which 5 amp fuse is it for?

+1. I want to how a fuse could cause these weird symptoms to happen at once!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

OP.. did the indy say if the fresh battery blew the fuse or was it just a coincidence?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoRavens
OP.. did the indy say if the fresh battery blew the fuse or was it just a coincidence?
No idea to be honest, I'd guess that the fuse was blown sometime during the removal of old battery/installation of new battery since there were no error or electrical issues while the old battery was in. I'll try to find out what the fuse is for sometime today.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

The symptoms described sound like what happens when canbus network has bad data (just like a bad network card on your computer network at the office). Perhaps the fuse wasn't completely blown, causing a very low voltage/current to a module or 2 and they in turn created bad network packets ???

Quick Reply: Auto Zone Battery Installed, Huge Problems!!!