E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Zone Battery Installed, Huge Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by or_550i
I second that. The whole 'registration' thing is a complete scam. It's a low voltage symptom.
Hey I'm the first person to believe registering your battery is a waste of time, the only thing that is putting this topic up for debate is the fact that i found a source with someone who had the same issues and how they resolved it. I would love for it to be low voltage instead of registering because obviously I'd save some cash, but do you have any evidence or sources proving so? Otherwise it seems more opinion based than fact.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

do you have another battery from a different car that you could throw in there to see if the problem goes away?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turboawd
do you have another battery from a different car that you could throw in there to see if the problem goes away?
I tested the voltage with a multimeter and it checks out ok, 12.6 volts disconnected from vehicle.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Hey I'm the first person to believe registering your battery is a waste of time, the only thing that is putting this topic up for debate is the fact that i found a source with someone who had the same issues and how they resolved it. I would love for it to be low voltage instead of registering because obviously I'd save some cash, but do you have any evidence or sources proving so? Otherwise it seems more opinion based than fact.
I've written about it in the past. The information in the Bentley manual plus the WDS state that the IBS senses the current draw and charge rate on the battery every 40ms and change the SOC accordingly... The 'registration' simply clears the charge rate. The fact that someone else has a similar issue is a coincidence.

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I tested the voltage with a multimeter and it checks out ok, 12.6 volts disconnected from vehicle.
Ok. That's perfect but with no load. When there is load what's the drop? If the drop is more than 1.2V there's probably a bad cell in the battery.

It's interesting that disconnecting the battery like Acute said didn't clear all the modules... Does the car crank and run otherwise? Did you take it out for a drive greater than 30 minutes?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

If you do end up registering the battery with programming etc, why not go to an indy? I just replaced my battery and they did the proper programming and everything works great! I paid a little over $200 for everything.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Originally Posted by or_550i
I've written about it in the past. The information in the Bentley manual plus the WDS state that the IBS senses the current draw and charge rate on the battery every 40ms and change the SOC accordingly... The 'registration' simply clears the charge rate. The fact that someone else has a similar issue is a coincidence.

Ok. That's perfect but with no load. When there is load what's the drop? If the drop is more than 1.2V there's probably a bad cell in the battery.

It's interesting that disconnecting the battery like Acute said didn't clear all the modules... Does the car crank and run otherwise? Did you take it out for a drive greater than 30 minutes?
Oh my, you still quote my post as your signature!! ha ha ha
Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

How long have you have this battery in your car? I'm interested because I also have the Autozone battery gold with exact ah and cca since five months and have not had a problem. I think I registered it through inpa but it was had to tell if it actually occurred since i did not get a confirmation. Anyway, I am sure the Stealership will not register a Autozone battery for you. If you are going to get it registered maybe start at the indy shops and go from there.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

sounds like a bad battery to me.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Members

Hi,
Start the car and put Aircon, blower, full head lights on all and at max.
Check the voltage and current from the battery at that stage, the altanator should be provding 13.8v or so when the car is running.

If the voltage is dropping while you enable lights, aircon etc... it would indicate a bad battery (failed/cracked cell).

Also ensure that it is the same rating as the original battery and get INPA to reset the IBS.

Mark
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

I had the almost same problem like yours. The message of low battery discharge was on since I drive few miles per day, and it's almost a 6 year old battery. Finally it died last month when I went to get smog check, the guy at the shop helped recharge the battery for me. After many attempts with different generators, it worked. They sent me to one of the shop and a new battery put in by the mechanic. It's fine now, maybe it wasn't put in correctly. Since a new battery should fix the problem, unless it's not the battery issue.

Quick Reply: Auto Zone Battery Installed, Huge Problems!!!