E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Zone Battery Installed, Huge Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a increased battery discharge warning and my car wouldn't start so I went to the dealer and they said my battery was bad. They quoted me around $600 for battery and registering the battery, I opted to instead go to Autozone and install a Duralast battery instead which was around $116 with tax.

After Installing the Autozone battery I started the car and was bombarded with multiple error messages which include...
Electrical system malfunction
Restraint system malfunction
windshield wiper malfunction

On top of these three errors I noticed my windows would not roll down and my car would not lock/unlock, and the alarm would not set also.

Anyone know why all these errors popped up? I'm considering returning the Autozone battery tomorrow and just taking the car in and dishing out the $600, need some advice on what the problem is asap.

Both the BMW OEM battery and the Autozone batter were 850 cold crank amps.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Try disconnecting the battery for 5-10 min and reconnecting.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
that, and i hope the ignition switch was off while you swapped batteries.

also, was the new battery's voltage checked? if it was low, you'd get similar errors.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Thanks for advice, I tried doing it and unfortunately didn't work

Noticed another warning this time also either "Transmission fault", getting some really random warnings. This time when I connected it my car alarm would actually work and unlocked/lock the doors, but only the rear doors and not the front. I'm confused as hell, might try just leaving the battery unplugged over night not sure what else to do.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

Ok so after some snooping around on google I found a post on a different forum with someone having the EXACT same issues and symptoms I'm currently having and according to him, once he got the battery registered at the dealer or indy shop the errors were gone and everything functioned as it was suppose to. Here is that persons post

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1633328

I'll have to call the dealer tomorrow and inquire what they charge to register the battery, maybe I'll dial up a couple of indy shops as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Senior Members

if the new battery's voltage is low, you'll get errors. was it checked?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

How interesting, thanks for sharing the problem. If it is indeed due to the battery not being registered, you have save people the headache in the future by posting
Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
How interesting, thanks for sharing the problem. If it is indeed due to the battery not being registered, you have save people the headache in the future by posting
i can almost guarantee the problems he is having, is not related to battery registration. i've thrown an optima dry cell battery in my car and a buddy's e60 when the batteries died, just to get around....and had no issues.
i'd still say a weak battery....maybe the battery has been sitting on the shelf for a while. possible alternator problem too?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
i can almost guarantee the problems he is having, is not related to battery registration. i've thrown an optima dry cell battery in my car and a buddy's e60 when the batteries died, just to get around....and had no issues.
i'd still say a weak battery....maybe the battery has been sitting on the shelf for a while. possible alternator problem too?
It's not an alternator issue because the OEM battery would jump and remain on without issue.
Weak battery, possibly but it is a shot in the dark.
The only reason I say that it might be a registration issue is because the link from the poster had exact symptoms down to only the back doors unlocking, and the windows not working and his issue was resolved with registration apparently. I'm going to get it registered tomorrow, if it works and the issue is resolved I will make sure to let you all know, if not then you'll know that registration is bullshit. So we'll just wait and find out.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by turboawd
I second that. The whole 'registration' thing is a complete scam. It's a low voltage symptom.

Quick Reply: Auto Zone Battery Installed, Huge Problems!!!