E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

auto tilt steering stopped working?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Hey guys

yesterday morning I got out of my car at work and the steering wheel tilted up and that was the last time it worked. I can still use the toggle and move the steering myself but it doesn't auto tilt anymore. It has done this before but would always start working again but not this time still wasn't wokring this morning, any ideas as to why?
Old 11-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by cleung' post='732736' date='Nov 27 2008, 09:22 AM
Hey guys

yesterday morning I got out of my car at work and the steering wheel tilted up and that was the last time it worked. I can still use the toggle and move the steering myself but it doesn't auto tilt anymore. It has done this before but would always start working again but not this time still wasn't wokring this morning, any ideas as to why?
Seems to be a quirky little thing, doesn't it? This is how I get mine to work whenever it forgets how to work. I notice that it kinda loses its memory after my wife drives the car with her key.

Anyway, this is what I do: Lower the wheel all the way down, then go up all the way up, and then all the way down again. Shut off the engine, remove key, and you should see the steering wheel move up. Open the door, close it again and lock it with your fob.

Unlock the door, open it, close it again, insert key, start engine. Steering wheel should lower all the way down. Now bring it to your desired level. Shut off the engine, remove key and observe correct operation. If it works, hit your memory button on your seat and select either 1 or 2. Done.

If it doesn't work, start from beginning until it works. My dealer can make it work it all the time and they are not consdering replacing anything.

Good luck, I hope this works. Please post your results.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And you do the boogy woogy and you turn around, and thats wht its all about . just j/k

On a serious note, your telling me you have to do this everytime it doesnt work? Did you try going to another dealer to see wht he has to say. You have a luxury car, and things like that should be handled by the dealer. You paid you hard earned money to get a comfort luxury car, you should not go through this. Maybe a reprograming can be done? A CIP update? if not, why not a hardware change?

Did u try contacting BMWNA and telling them about this problem?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='733580' date='Nov 28 2008, 01:17 PM
And you do the boogy woogy and you turn around, and thats wht its all about . just j/k

On a serious note, your telling me you have to do this everytime it doesnt work? Did you try going to another dealer to see wht he has to say. You have a luxury car, and things like that should be handled by the dealer. You paid you hard earned money to get a comfort luxury car, you should not go through this. Maybe a reprograming can be done? A CIP update? if not, why not a hardware change?

Did u try contacting BMWNA and telling them about this problem?
I know, I should probably fight a little harder, but I am exhausted. I have been busy having them take care of major problems (all resolved) and it seems that I'm running out of gas, especially that they get it to work every single time. It seems that whenever my wife uses her key, there's something that makes my key forget the steering setting, but only the steering. The dealer said to go back to them if it happens again, but since they've alreay looked at it twice and they show me that it works everytime (after playing with it for a little while), I'm probably just going to wait until close to warranty expiration and see if it gets worse. The procedure is not as bad as it sounds. I actually figured it out a couple of days ago. I'll see if I can make it happen in one shot, now that I think I know the procedure, but maybe again, going all the way down and all the wayup might just reset the system and I'll never see this happen again, sorta like the folks who have a problem with Active steering and get it to work by rotating the steering wheel all the way left and then all the way right.

I have the lastest software update (31.02). Thanks for your advice. I might try going to another dealer route or maybe I'll just forbid the wife from ever driving again. Ouch!! Sorry honey I was just joking and please stop reading over my shoulder. Ouch! Put that rolling pin down honey, please..
Old 11-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='733701' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:14 PM
I have the lastest software update (31.02). Thanks for your advice. I might try going to another dealer route or maybe I'll just forbid the wife from ever driving again. Ouch!! Sorry honey I was just joking and please stop reading over my shoulder. Ouch! Put that rolling pin down honey, please..

HAHAHA

Since it seems that its only happening with another key, why dont u ask the dealer to reset both keys and reprogram them together, that way, both keys will be identical(not sure if it can be done, just a thought).

Or it might be happening due to the fact the memory is changing, thus has something to do with reprograming(also, just a thought).
Good luck. Hope everything gets sorted it out soon.

PS: dont wait till you get near the end of ur warrantee, they ll give you a very hard time plus push you away with some excuse, that way you ll have to come back few month later AND PAY
Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

got car back from dealer and of course the damn thing worked for them and is working again for now.