E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto hi-Beam

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I have a sensor/reflector on the back of my rear view mirror. This was not there on my 545i. Does anyone know what this is for and if it is an auto hi-beam then how do I activate it?
Auto hi-Beam-dsc05187.jpg
Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Members

I have that too on my LCI e60...I would like to know what it is too
Old 07-17-2007, 12:58 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

No, it doesn't looks like it. It looks like a camera and it's placed under the rain sensor.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

Lane deviation?

ABC
Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Auto Hi-beam is activated by pushing the hi-beam stick on your left side and you will see a specific symbol lighting in your dash if I am not mistaken.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think the sensor behind the mirror (as pictured) is the forward-facing light sensor for the automatic dimming mirror. The mirrror has a rearward-facing sensor near the bottom center of the reflective surface. The mirror compares the difference between the forward and rearward sensors to determine if it should be "dimmed".

The one in the picture looks a little different than the pre-LCI cars but if the mirror has the dimming function, then there has to be a sensor located in that area.

I'm not sure if auto-high beam is available in the US. I don't remember seeing it listed as an option when I ordered my car...
Old 07-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='448857' date='Jul 17 2007, 02:00 PM
I think the sensor behind the mirror (as pictured) is the forward-facing light sensor for the automatic dimming mirror.
Interesting idea to have a sensor measuring forward-incident light for that function! Those Germans seem to think of everything.

Now if it were one of the sensors to determine light level for the operation of "automatic headlights" then I could better understand the need to measure ambient light from that orientation.

Now that I've looked at my car, this is the same as on my pre-LCI and I have auto-dim functionality.

ABC
Old 07-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='448877' date='Jul 17 2007, 10:12 AM
Interesting idea to have a sensor measuring forward-incident light for that function! Those Germans seem to think of everything.

Now if it were one of the sensors to determine light level for the operation of "automatic headlights" then I could better understand the need to measure ambient light from that orientation.

Now that I've looked at my car, this is the same as on my pre-LCI and I have auto-dim functionality.

ABC
I don't know if it was the Germans who invented the auto-dimming mirror. All of them have the two sensors. If they didn't, the mirror would darken in the daylight. The forward sensor determines if it's dark outside so that if light hits the rear sensor, the mirror will dim. During the day, light always hits the rear sensor so the only way for the mirror to know if it should dim or not is to see how much light is in front of the car as well.

Try this trick -- in the daytime, just cover the forward-facing sensor with your finger. The mirrors will dim fairly quickly. As soon as you remove your finger, they'll brighten again...
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='448905' date='Jul 17 2007, 08:10 AM
I don't know if it was the Germans who invented the auto-dimming mirror. All of them have the two sensors. If they didn't, the mirror would darken in the daylight. The forward sensor determines if it's dark outside so that if light hits the rear sensor, the mirror will dim. During the day, light always hits the rear sensor so the only way for the mirror to know if it should dim or not is to see how much light is in front of the car as well.

Try this trick -- in the daytime, just cover the forward-facing sensor with your finger. The mirrors will dim fairly quickly. As soon as you remove your finger, they'll brighten again...
Thanks Rudy and all. My remember my Dad's 1977 Continental Mark V had auto dimming headlights. Its a great feature and should be standard. Oh well. I wish I had it.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Gentex, a market leader in electrochromic mirror technology introduced THEIR first inside auto-dimming mirror in 1987.

ABC

Quick Reply: Auto hi-Beam