E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Headlights: Got confused when fogs were used

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.
Thumbs up

Has anybody ever had their Auto headlights get confused after using their fogs? After using my fogs, my Auto function hasn't been working for 2 days (no LED either). This afternoon, I tested them and discovered that the green LED and the headlights lights would come on only when I engaged the Fog Lamp switch.

Manual headlights worked fine, but in my search, here, I discovered that Manual doesn't include the Marty Feldman Eyes routine, so I wanted to get them going again.

After reading the manual a couple of times I tried engaging Auto, with the key in position 2, but nothing. Then, just now, driving off with them in Auto position, I noticed that they were on, without the fogs. It seems as if they were confused, but have now set themselves right.

Further, while checking lighting settings in iDrive, I bumped delayed shutoff to 60 seconds, from 40. But, I still don't have that feature (never have had it). Is that something that is disengaged with Auto?

I think this car will drive me nutz before long.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 12-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='207095' date='Dec 4 2005, 03:51 PM
Has anybody ever had their Auto headlights get confused after using their fogs? After using my fogs, my Auto function hasn't been working for 2 days (no LED either). This afternoon, I tested them and discovered that the green LED and the headlights lights would come on only when I engaged the Fog Lamp switch.

Manual headlights worked fine, but in my search, here, I discovered that Manual doesn't include the Marty Feldman Eyes routine, so I wanted to get them going again.

After reading the manual a couple of times I tried engaging Auto, with the key in position 2, but nothing. Then, just now, driving off with them in Auto position, I noticed that they were on, without the fogs. It seems as if they were confused, but have now set themselves right.

Further, while checking lighting settings in iDrive, I bumped delayed shutoff to 60 seconds, from 40. But, I still don't have that feature (never have had it). Is that something that is disengaged with Auto?

I think this car will drive me nutz before long.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
On the delayed shutoff...I don't think bimmers stay on after turning off the car. With the car turned off flick the headlight stalk back toward you and your headlights will turn on for the 60 seconds you selected. In other words, you have to activate them with the stalk in order for them to come on for the designated time.