E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anyone else on here apart from me who does NOT use the auto-headlights? I just dont like auto headlights or DRL, maybe i'm just old fashioned and like to switch them on myself

my only gripe is that the adaptive headlight system only works in auto mode apparently and not in manual, which seemed odd to me when the dealer explained it. I would have thought that once the xenons were on full (not main beam) then the adaptive system should kick in regardless of if you've got auto or manual headlight operation engaged. oh well......
Old 09-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Senior Members

the auto lights came on / stayed on too early - then, after sw upgrade and sensitivity adjust they are working,well, perfect
Old 09-01-2004, 03:25 AM
Members

Same problem as Tsandas in my 3 month old 530d. Dealer doesn't have a clue. Upgraded the software but it's still the same. What I found is that if I'm entering a tunnel from bright sunlight, the lights will go on and then off when I exit the tunnel. However, if I start my car in a dark garage, they will stay on even if there is bright sunshine when I leave the garage.

In general, the software is full of bugs. BMW must have outsourced it to Microsoft.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:42 AM
Members

What I found is that if I'm entering a tunnel from bright sunlight, the lights will go on and then off when I exit the tunnel. However, if I start my car in a dark garage, they will stay on even if there is bright sunshine when I leave the garage.
Mine also behaves in this way.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

Originally Posted by Tsandas' date='Aug 31 2004, 06:01 PM
Auto headlights seem to come on and stay on during daylight even direct sunlight.
I have had my car for just two weeks (500 miles), and I noticed this same thing the first couple of days, but now the lights seem to be working okay. Knock wood.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Members

I just noticed a similar problem last week that they were on in the middle of the day while it was bright and sunny. The problem only lasted a day though and everything worked "correctly" the next day. My lights do come on in the garage but once I back out they go off right away.
Good luck getting a software fix.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Talking

So what is the solution to have the xeneon on ?

For some reason, when I got my car, I thought my xeneon (blueish) lights we were going to be used all the time. I dont get blueish all the time most of the time, I get some goldish lights.

Oh well..
Old 09-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I typically drive with my hedlights on even during the day. I leave the switch in the automatic position. When I start the car I press the fog light button and the lights (Xenon) come on (and stay on) until I turn off the car. This way I can't forget to turn them off. Active headlights must work in this position as well (but with no benefit of course - just more wear, but that's what the warranty (and a 3 year lease) is for).
Old 09-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Contributors

amigo - the outer lights are the xenons, used for headlights on and high beams on. The inner lights are halogens, used low power for daytime running lights and higher power for flash-to-pass. when the headlights are turned on, either automatically or manually, the DRLs turn off and the xenons turn on.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Spoke to the dealer today, After I gave them a very hard time, He called BMW and are sending a Tech to see my car about the stupid light probelm!
Will advise next week, but I am not holding my breath!

Quick Reply: Auto Headlights