E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Any one else have this problem?
I have been back 5 times because the Auto headlights seem to come on and stay on during daylight even direct sunlight. They have adjusted them many times changing the sensitvity and they even changed the sensor and still the same problem.
I am very upset about this and I am getting no where. The dealer is trying but I think it also out of ideas.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Members

ARE YOU SURE THEIR NOT THE DAYTIME RUNNUNG LIGHTS? THE CIRCLE LIGHTS ARE ALWAYS ON ...
Old 08-31-2004, 04:12 PM
Contributors

Its the lights! The little light next to the switch lights up when the come on.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Tsandas, look at BMWhobos thread below describing the daytime running light option a bit further down the board. Sounds like DRL is set on for you, just make sure your dealer checks this. If this is not the issue, and you've adjusted sensitivity and even replaced the sensor, I'm afraid I don't what to tell you.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Contributors

DRL are set on. How does that effect the auto Headlights?
Thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Members

Tsandes--- Got the same problem. In auto position, once they go on, they stay on, even in bright sunlight.
This began two days ago. At the same time this began, my rear window would not close, went half-way up then reversed and went down. Finally got up by holding switch for 3 or 4 seconds to by-pass auto up feature. Radio also started playing with no key in ignition.That has not re-occured, but the lights no longer work automaticly on light sensor. Waiting for first oil change to bring to dealer. Has nothing to do with my daytime running lights either.
Did any other unusual incidents happen to your car when problem began?
My dealer said on phone its a softwear situation, modual. MOST EVERYTHING IS WITH THESE CARS.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:04 PM
Contributors

The auto headlights have been a problem since day one!
Just came back fronm dealer today after 5th visit! Still not working right!
They changes the sensor and still no good!
I have a better radio problem for you, I turn the radio off and then turn the car off. Come back to the car and start it the radio turns on by itself! This is since version 12 was installed.
Crazy!
Old 08-31-2004, 06:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I have the opposite problem .. in auto mode the headlights rarely if ever come on unless its pitch black outside. Sometimes its foggy or pretty dark and raining, I put it in auto mode and the headlights still don't come on. I have to use manual mode in these situations. I wish they were more sensitive. I always forget to ask the dealer about them.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributors

Same problem as Tsandas here - start the car in the garage, lights go on, don't go back off, even in sunlight. Seeing dealer 1st thing tomorrow - we'll see what happens. I've seen the thread about a sensitivity setting - that's where we're starting.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Members

I think it takes awhile for the lights to turn off once they come on in auto mode. I turned the switch to auto at the start of a long trip yesterday in early morning darkness and fog. Then I forgot about them. When I got home 8 hours later, they turned on again when I pulled into my garage. I don't know when they turned off before getting to my garage. I will try and find out how long they are on in bright daylight before they turn off and let you know.

Quick Reply: Auto Headlights