E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which auto headlight sensitivity setting do you have?
normal
42.86%
sensitive
28.57%
very sensitive
28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Which auto headlight setting do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked my dealer to adjust the sensitivity, they come on during the day. Guess what! When I picked up car they wrote on the paperwork "could not duplicate problem" and did not adjust anything.

My service advisor is a very nice guy, but has absolutely no clue, I told him that I needed the automatic headlights adjusted because they were coming on during the day, and he wrote on service order "Customer states headlights turn on during day". And the even smarter mechanics could not duplicate the problem.

In a way I do not blame the guy, he receives 3,5,6,7,X3,X5,Z3,Z4 etc. I suggested they should have these guys organized by model so they can focus and get to learn the issues for their assigned model.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Casper' date='Feb 3 2005, 07:22 PM
I asked my dealer to adjust the sensitivity, they come on during the day. Guess what! When I picked up car they wrote on the paperwork "could not duplicate problem" and did not adjust anything.

My service advisor is a very nice guy, but has absolutely no clue, I told him that I needed the automatic headlights adjusted because they were coming on during the day, and he wrote on service order "Customer states headlights turn on during day". And the even smarter mechanics could not duplicate the problem.

In a way I do not blame the guy, he receives 3,5,6,7,X3,X5,Z3,Z4 etc. I suggested they should have these guys organized by model so they can focus and get to learn the issues for their assigned model.
[snapback]86632[/snapback]
Hahaha typical answer... Ya you really do need a SA that KNOWs the car...
Old 02-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Had mine adjusted today to "Very Sensitive" today - drove from the dealers at 3pm (UK winter time) with my lights off. This is a first ! My sodding lights have been on since september!

I'll have to see how it goes but this is already so much better than whatever the crappy default was.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

If you have headlights set to come on automatically, do you also have to have daytime running lights activated? Are these features married?

Also, one of the previous posts indicated that auto headlights have to be activated for adaptive xenons to work. Are you referring to the swiveling of the headlight in a turn or is there another adaptive feature?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Auto headlights and DRLs are independent. When the headlights are on, whether they were turned on automatically or not, the DRLs are off.

In order for the headlights to swivel with the turns (adaptive headlights), the light switch must be in the automatic postition. Again, you can manually turn the lights to the auto position if you don't want to use the automatic illumination feature...
Old 02-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 5 2005, 10:44 AM
Auto headlights and DRLs are independent.? When the headlights are on, whether they were turned on automatically or not, the DRLs are off.

In order for the headlights to swivel with the turns (adaptive headlights), the light switch must be in the automatic postition.? Again, you can manually turn the lights to the auto position if you don't want to use the automatic illumination feature...
[snapback]87033[/snapback]
Thanks for the response Rudy. I am not sure if I made myself clear on the daytime running lights. I am aware that they go off when the headlights are on. I do not like them and I have them deactivated on my 540. On your E60, if you have the headlights set to come on automatically and it is daytime, will the daytime running lights come on? Or is it as you have apparently stated, that each is an independent feature that allows you to use the automatic headlight feature without having to use the daytime running light feature?
Old 02-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Feb 5 2005, 08:56 AM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Feb 5 2005, 10:44 AM']Auto headlights and DRLs are independent.? When the headlights are on, whether they were turned on automatically or not, the DRLs are off.

In order for the headlights to swivel with the turns (adaptive headlights), the light switch must be in the automatic postition.? Again, you can manually turn the lights to the auto position if you don't want to use the automatic illumination feature...
Thanks for the response Rudy. I am not sure if I made myself clear on the daytime running lights. I am aware that they go off when the headlights are on. I do not like them and I have them deactivated on my 540. On your E60, if you have the headlights set to come on automatically and it is daytime, will the daytime running lights come on? Or is it as you have apparently stated, that each is an independent feature that allows you to use the automatic headlight feature without having to use the daytime running light feature?
[snapback]87038[/snapback]
[/quote]

Daytime running lights are independent of the headlights and Autoheadlight switch... they are programmed by the dealer and they just work one way. Headlight on = Daytime running lights off. Headlights off = Daytime runing lights on. No matter where you have the headlight switch switched to. I dont like them but they were programmed on from the dealer and I still havent decided if i want to leave them on or turn them off... I'm leaning to leaving them on. It is easier to for others to see me during dusk and dawn so its a bit safer...
Old 02-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Feb 5 2005, 11:53 AM
[quote name='markt540i' date='Feb 5 2005, 08:56 AM'][quote name='Rudy' date='Feb 5 2005, 10:44 AM']Auto headlights and DRLs are independent.? When the headlights are on, whether they were turned on automatically or not, the DRLs are off.

[snapback]87038[/snapback]
[/quote]

Daytime running lights are independent of the headlights and Autoheadlight switch... they are programmed by the dealer and they just work one way. Headlight on = Daytime running lights off. Headlights off = Daytime runing lights on. No matter where you have the headlight switch switched to. I dont like them but they were programmed on from the dealer and I still havent decided if i want to leave them on or turn them off... I'm leaning to leaving them on. It is easier to for others to see me during dusk and dawn so its a bit safer...
[snapback]87046[/snapback]
[/quote]

Can you use i-drive to disable the daytime running lights or does the dealer have to do it?
Old 02-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Feb 6 2005, 12:45 AM
Can you use i-drive to disable the daytime running lights or does the dealer have to do it?
[snapback]87107[/snapback]
Dealer only!
Old 02-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Feb 5 2005, 03:45 PM
[snapback]87107[/snapback]

I wish it can be done via iDrive... but no... its dealer only... and depending if they love you or not then they will charge you 30 min labor or not.

Quick Reply: Which auto headlight setting do you have?