E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I am a newbie to BMW from HK. Just got the first BMW 2 months. My baby is a 2005 E60 525i. Although second hand but I like her much.

Well, back to my question: When I turned the headlight switch to the "auto" mode, I found that the headlight will NOT turn on and off automatically. It remains switch on even when the outside has beautiful sunshine, no cloud, not cover by any tall building or trees. This is not what I expected; I expect the headlight should turn on automatically when the car entered into some dim/dark area like indoor carpark, driving at night. I also expect it will turn off automatically when I am driving it in daytime, outdoor, in a highway...etc. I asked the garage(not BMW) and the technician said that many E60s' headlight are performing like this and there is no way to fix it.

Is there any friends who can share their experiences and tell me how to fix it?

Many thanks.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Anyone has feedback?

Originally Posted by newbie2
Hi all

I am a newbie to BMW from HK. Just got the first BMW 2 months. My baby is a 2005 E60 525i. Although second hand but I like her much.

Well, back to my question: When I turned the headlight switch to the "auto" mode, I found that the headlight will NOT turn on and off automatically. It remains switch on even when the outside has beautiful sunshine, no cloud, not cover by any tall building or trees. This is not what I expected; I expect the headlight should turn on automatically when the car entered into some dim/dark area like indoor carpark, driving at night. I also expect it will turn off automatically when I am driving it in daytime, outdoor, in a highway...etc. I asked the garage(not BMW) and the technician said that many E60s' headlight are performing like this and there is no way to fix it.

Many thanks.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 545i 2003, going for executive style

mine switch off automaticly straight away only if its really bright outside. It is normal for the auto lights to stay on if there are clouds or rain, if its really bright and clear outside and after 1 or 2 minutes the lights are still on, then u've got a problem, otherwise dont stress over it (show of those angel eyes ))
Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

First off, if they never turn off then you have a problem with a sensor but I wouldn't worry about it.
Mine will come on very late in the day even with full sun on the windshield (makes me visible). In Auto, they ALWAYS come on when I first start the car for maybe 30 seconds++. I have gotten in the habit of turning the headlights to OFF when I leave the car to save the battery. On Auto, my dashlights, parking lights and taillights come on as soon as I open the drivers door in any type of light. With the battery sucking capabilities of these cars I just find that annoying so turn the lights off when I exit. BTW, my car sits for long periods.
However, if you have adaptive lights they only fully function in the auto position.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by newbie2
Hi all

Many thanks.

attach a pic, maybe its the DRL thats turned on and not your low beam. if thats thats the case, thats very normal, either you have the settings to turn it off in your idrive or take it to your dealer so you can have them turn it off for you. DRL are turned on automatically in the morning and the car switches to your low beams when it sense that its dark/dim enough for you to need your headlights.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

We do not have DRL (Daytime Running Lights) option available for or E60 in Hong Kong.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Small Tomato
We do not have DRL (Daytime Running Lights) option available for or E60 in Hong Kong.
Thanks all