E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Head Light Sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005 | 03:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

I have noticed some odd behaviour recently with the automatic head lights.

Depending on the light conditions when I start the car (& the lights are in Auto mode) then I appear to get different behaviour from the automatic light sensor.

There is a particular stretch of road as I return home that has many dense trees and If I drive down it in the early evening on a bright day then this nearly always fools my car into turning the headlights on-off about 3 times in the space of about 200m.

I know the sensor on our cars can be fooled by this type of lighting conditions but I have also notice something peculiar....

If, when I start the car, I am in daylight then the headlights seem more sensitive to light and switch on-and-off as I pass through deep shadows.

HOWEVER... If, when I start the car, I am in the dark (i.e. in the underground carpark at work) then the headlights seem to stay on for my entire journey home.

It is as-if the starting conditions somehow controls the sensitivity of the lights. Has anyone else observed this or am I just going nuts ?
Old 09-27-2005 | 03:48 AM
Senior Members

No, you're right. The auto headlights have some built in hysteresis which stops them from turning on and off too much. So if the ambient light is low enough they will come on and stay on, even though there may be the same fluctuations in light levels on your journey.

By the way, get ready for more false switch ons - when the the sun is starting to get lower in the horizon e.g. winter months, the sensor copes poorly and switches on the lights unneccesarily.
Old 09-27-2005 | 03:51 AM
Members

I would LOVE to make auto just stay on all the time. Driving with the lights on keeps drivers in front of you more alert and if you are like me, you are in the passing lane all the time and they see you coming and move out of the way.

Right now I am manually switching the lights on and off every day. Anyone know how to force the lights on all the time?
Old 09-27-2005 | 03:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Sep 27 2005, 11:48 AM
By the way, get ready for more false switch ons - when the the sun is starting to get lower in the horizon e.g. winter months, the sensor copes poorly and switches on the lights unneccesarily.
[snapback]175669[/snapback]
I did have the sensor adjusted by BMW last year to the most sensitive (to light) setting. This made a marked improvement in the frequency of false switch-ons but I still get some under more extreme light conditions. Low-angled sun certainly does not help !
Old 09-27-2005 | 04:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

When my Idrive was updated to 17 ( then to 19 this week to make amber LED lights work again ! ) I gained an option, daytime running lights, in the light
settings screen. If selected the lights are on whenever the car is in use.
Old 09-27-2005 | 04:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Originally Posted by montrealm3' date='Sep 27 2005, 06:51 AM
I would LOVE to make auto just stay on all the time.? Driving with the lights on keeps drivers in front of you more alert and if you are like me, you are in the passing lane all the time and they see you coming and move out of the way.

Right now I am manually switching the lights on and off every day.? Anyone know how to force the lights on all the time?
[snapback]175672[/snapback]
When my Idrive was updated to 17 ( then to 19 this week to make amber LED lights work again ! ) I gained an option, daytime running lights, in the light
Old 09-27-2005 | 04:24 AM
das
Site Founders

My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by montrealm3' date='Sep 27 2005, 06:51 AM
I would LOVE to make auto just stay on all the time.? Driving with the lights on keeps drivers in front of you more alert and if you are like me, you are in the passing lane all the time and they see you coming and move out of the way.

Right now I am manually switching the lights on and off every day.? Anyone know how to force the lights on all the time?
[snapback]175672[/snapback]
That's what Daytime Running Lamps are for...

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' date='Sep 27 2005, 06:08 AM
[snapback]175680[/snapback]
This is great news: can anyone else with CIP 19.x confirm that you can now control Daylight Running Lamps yourself from iDrive?

Just to clarify, though, these are the inner halogen lamps, not the outer lamps (which are xenon on vehicles equipped with xenon headlamps).
Old 09-27-2005 | 04:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Sep 27 2005, 11:40 AM
Mine have been better since CIP18 (From 13.2) but by no means perfect! The 'tunnel' problem was apparently fixed.
Old 09-27-2005 | 04:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by das' date='Sep 27 2005, 12:24 PM
This is great news: can anyone else with CIP 19.x confirm that you can now control Daylight Running Lamps yourself from iDrive?
CIP18 definitely had the manual option...
Old 09-27-2005 | 05:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Sep 27 2005, 06:40 AM

Depending on the light conditions when I start the car (& the lights are in Auto mode) then I appear to get different behaviour from the automatic light sensor.

There is a particular stretch of road as I return home that has many dense trees and If I drive down it in the early evening on a bright day then this nearly always fools my car into turning the headlights on-off about 3 times in the space of about 200m.

I know the sensor on our cars can be fooled by this type of lighting conditions but I have also notice something peculiar....

If, when I start the car, I am in daylight then the headlights seem more sensitive to light and switch on-and-off as I pass through deep shadows.

HOWEVER... If, when I start the car, I am in the dark (i.e. in the underground carpark at work) then the headlights seem to stay on for my entire journey home.

It is as-if the starting conditions somehow controls the sensitivity of the lights. Has anyone else observed this or am I just going nuts ?
[snapback]175664[/snapback]
No, you are right...it's normal. Mine does it too...although it doesn't bother me

Quick Reply: Auto Head Light Sensitivity