E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto car wash with Xdrive and steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once read that there can be issues with running your car through a car wash with the xdrive. Cant imagine what it could be - put car in 'N' and and go? Somewhere there was mention of bmw preparing a statement on "preparing your xdrive car' for a auto car wash??

Ill assume it is nothing - unless I hear otherwise?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

If yur car has comfort access and the key is not inserted in the ignition after you shift into Neutral, when the car starts getting pulled through the wash, its computer will think the car is free-rolling uncontrollably and will automatically put the tranny in Park.

Other than that, just roll up all windows and turn off all wipers.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTC1
I once read that there can be issues with running your car through a car wash with the xdrive. Cant imagine what it could be - put car in 'N' and and go? Somewhere there was mention of bmw preparing a statement on "preparing your xdrive car' for a auto car wash??

Ill assume it is nothing - unless I hear otherwise?
I experienced some issues with the track car wash on my 530xi. Basically, the control arm grinds on the metal groove for the tire. You can actually feel it in the cabin. Spoke to the manager in the car wash I go to and he pulled out some car wash advisory bulletin from his office for trouble cars using his system, and sure enough it has 2006-2007 530xi as a problem car for their track system because of suspension rubbing. Whether or not its true, i dont know. But I felt the grinding and that was enough for me.

I don't trust track car washes, and will only hand wash it now. The winter is a pain in the ass, but thats the breaks.