E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

August '04 5 Series Sales Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This month I am introducing a new format for the sales reports. You can now see four years of sales instantly and if you want to see the 5th year of sales you can use the Adobe ?Bookmarks? feature to go back to the report for August 2003.

I really believe that putting all the monthly sales figures together and placing the YTD sales in another section make the reports much easier to read and understand. Any ideas you may have for further improvement will be greatly appreciated.

August 5 Series sales of 3,300 units was down 22.4% from the 4,252 sold last August. YTD sales of 29,043 5ers is down some 11.4% from the 32,775 sold during the first 8 months of 2003.

For those of you who have any interest, sales of the Mercedes-Benz E Class totaled 4,594 units in August. This was a 13.5% increase from the 4,047 sold last August. YTD sales for the MB E Class were 36,787 which was a 6.9% increase from the 34,414 sold during the first 8 months of last year.

Please note that I am reporting only United States sales data.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
5_Series_Sales.pdf (99.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 09-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Strange thing is that in holland the opposite is happening. Mercedes dealers are giving hughe discounts on new E-Classes because they don't sell well and the 5 series is now outselling the e-class by 15% more..

Since the US is probably one of the biggest markets for mercedes and BMW this is very interesting info and I wonder what they will do to change it.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 1 2004, 02:31 PM
Strange thing is that in holland the opposite is happening. Mercedes dealers are giving hughe discounts on new E-Classes because they don't sell well and the 5 series is now outselling the e-class by 15% more..
What has the press coverage/reaction been like over there?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

I'm sure the new I6 engines ( 2.5 & 3.0 ) will help the sales of the E60 in USA. Also the M sport package should give a healthy boost to sales.

Let's hope that BMW bring those engines for 2006.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

If you look at month to month sales of the E60, August was significantly higher than July, which was pretty much the low-water mark for E60 sales since the vehicle has been available in all variants and trim configurations.

Not to sound like some apologist, but I would suspect that last August saw HUGE incentives to get rid of all the E39's in preparation for the E60; resulting in the great disparity between last year and this year.

I also don't buy the whole "pent-up-demand" theory, either. We are a very minute sampling of the BMW 5er market. Joe 5 Series buyer probably has no idea that a new model is coming out; he just knows that he wants a 5 Series and gets whatever is the 5 Series that's on display at the dealer.

-MrB
Old 09-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Tim C' date='Sep 1 2004, 02:39 PM
[quote name='530E60NL' date='Sep 1 2004, 02:31 PM'] Strange thing is that in holland the opposite is happening. Mercedes dealers are giving hughe discounts on new E-Classes because they don't sell well and the 5 series is now outselling the e-class by 15% more..
What has the press coverage/reaction been like over there? [/quote]
Nothing much over here.. Everybody knows you can better drive a BMW then a Mercedes
Old 09-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Not much different in Germany. Allthough MB is selling more cars, but there are a lot of commercial ones, like cabs, and they give discounts. BMW doesn't need to do anything like it. Ppl know BMW's are waaaaaay better...
Old 09-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Sep 1 2004, 03:08 PM
I also don't buy the whole "pent-up-demand" theory, either. We are a very minute sampling of the BMW 5er market. Joe 5 Series buyer probably has no idea that a new model is coming out; he just knows that he wants a 5 Series and gets whatever is the 5 Series that's on display at the dealer.

-MrB
This isn't true in my case. I researched my vehicle before I purchased. I was going to buy in 2002, then I stated seeing litttle sniplets of the New 5 and then I kept on researching and I was sold. That is how I was able to pay cash for it since I was able to save up an addl 2 years. The new 5 is a vast improvement. Many new options as well as larger and better looking (i know, thats debatable but my car is based on my tastes).