E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ATTN: 2004 Left over model owners.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davepham671' post='223445
I bought a 2004 demo at Long Beach BMW in August of 2004 and the warranty began when the car was put in service, Dec. of 2003 so I only had 3 years, 4 months of warranty. There was no extra 90 days/5k miles.
davepham671 which dealer did you purchase your car from?
I got it a Nick Alexander BMW in Los Angeles. 3 yrs too huh? Did you know why it was put in service? You bought it as new or demo. Thanks
[/quote]

I knew mine was a demo. The owner of the dealership drove it from Dec. 2003 until I bought it in August. Mine also was about $5k off of MSRP.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

If one buys a demo car, the warranty did start since the car was put into register.
A demo car is a used one, and could be a raped one :thumbsdown:

A brand new car is always a brand new car
You can feel the smell...
Old 01-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

Thank you for your insight. My car was a demo and has not been in the shop one day except for scheduled maintenance.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Dave,

I would guess you got what is referred to in the car industry as a "punched" car. This occurs when the car is registered as sold to a fictitious buyer by a dealer to inflate the number of cars sold in a month or in a quarter or to qualify for some type of incentive money from BMW (end of model year incentives that were about to expire for example). Unofrtunately, it means that the "in service" date or the start of your warranty is the date of the ficititious sale.

Many times, these cars are not used as demos but stay on the lot as new car inventory and may be test driven by someone on occaision (as your car may have been).

It's my opinion that the dealer should have told you that the car had been punched and that the warranty period was reduced. You are in your rights to demand the full four years if it was not properly disclosed to you by the selling dealer. I would even get BMWNA involved if they give you the run around. If I understand correctly, you were sold a new car, not one that had been previously sold even if it was for alterior reasons.

FWIW, my car was a left over 04 with 77 km on the clock that had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 9 months. I was given a full warranty and my car was brought up to spec software wise with the latest release available at the time of purchase and all recall campaigns looked after prior to delivery.

I would be having a chat with my sales rep and his manager if I were in your shoes.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

Now you're beginning to get a more accurate picture. You just need a bit more clarity on your inservice date, and since you now own it (absent any other issues), just make sure when your meter runs. Agree, there should have been more clarity at the delivery.

Ray, good to meet you and we're in a similar boat. Son of a second generation dealer, still hold a license in my state, and practice law around all facets of the car industry.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='223497' date='Jan 12 2006, 07:05 PM
Dave,

I would guess you got what is referred to in the car industry as a "punched" car. This occurs when the car is registered as sold to a fictitious buyer by a dealer to inflate the number of cars sold in a month or in a quarter or to qualify for some type of incentive money from BMW (end of model year incentives that were about to expire for example). Unofrtunately, it means that the "in service" date or the start of your warranty is the date of the ficititious sale.

Many times, these cars are not used as demos but stay on the lot as new car inventory and may be test driven by someone on occaision (as your car may have been).

It's my opinion that the dealer should have told you that the car had been punched and that the warranty period was reduced. You are in your rights to demand the full four years if it was not properly disclosed to you by the selling dealer. I would even get BMWNA involved if they give you the run around. If I understand correctly, you were sold a new car, not one that had been previously sold even if it was for alterior reasons.

FWIW, my car was a left over 04 with 77 km on the clock that had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 9 months. I was given a full warranty and my car was brought up to spec software wise with the latest release available at the time of purchase and all recall campaigns looked after prior to delivery.

I would be having a chat with my sales rep and his manager if I were in your shoes.

I hope this helps.
I think you're right. I remember the service dept mentioning some thing about something about a ficititious sale. They werent sure but thats what service was assuming and couldnt tell me more. As for properly disclosing the warranty salesman told me four years the call will get, just when I'm sitting down signing some papers (I'm in another dept. where you sign documents for registration etc) they asked me if I wanted to purchase the Extended warranty, since I only have 3 yrs left. I looked at the salesman and told him dude you told me 4 years. He shrugs. I say funk it, I really needed a car (desperate, just moved here) so I agreed to it. So yeah seales verbally told me 4 yrs, and on ink it may be 3, have to look for my documents, I just moved so things a mess now.
I just need to get enough facts before I blast their sales manager. I'll try to get in touch with BMWNA too. I wish I got 4yr like you. So yours had 77km? You're in UK?

Thank Ray,allen, son of dealer,long beach dude, and the rest All the replies put together I kinda know whats up with my warranty, sorta......laterz
Old 01-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by davepham671' post='223655
Dave,

I hope this helps.
I think you're right. I remember the service dept mentioning some thing about something about a ficititious sale. They werent sure but thats what service was assuming and couldnt tell me more. As for properly disclosing the warranty salesman told me four years the call will get, just when I'm sitting down signing some papers (I'm in another dept. where you sign documents for registration etc) they asked me if I wanted to purchase the Extended warranty, since I only have 3 yrs left. I looked at the salesman and told him dude you told me 4 years. He shrugs. I say funk it, I really needed a car (desperate, just moved here) so I agreed to it. So yeah seales verbally told me 4 yrs, and on ink it may be 3, have to look for my documents, I just moved so things a mess now.
I just need to get enough facts before I blast their sales manager. I'll try to get in touch with BMWNA too. I wish I got 4yr like you. So yours had 77km? You're in UK?

Thank Ray,allen, son of dealer,long beach dude, and the rest All the replies put together I kinda know whats up with my warranty, sorta......laterz
[/quote]

OK, so now things are getting a bit clearer, I am sure upon examination of your documents you will find that the dealer did them right. It just didn't sound right that they would commit such an indiscretion on such an obvious thing as length of warranty when it would be found out very quickly.

I even got a littlle suckered in when I picked up my car. I have made it a habit, years ago to have the dealers fax me a copy of the sales contract in advance of pick up so that I could read everything in advance of picking up the car. I have found that on day of pick up all you want to do is get out of the dealer and into your brand new car, so one does not exactly have the clearest of heads on pick up date.

When I picked up my car, the salesman went through his whole routine, even delivered the car to me right in the dealers showroom ( A first for me). So of course while he is talking to me, all I am doing is staring at my car. He finishes and I am itching to get out of there when he tells me I have to see their finance guy to settle all the funds owing. Finance guy ( Proper name for him should be THE CLOSER). So now I am in this guys office, far removed from my car in the showroom and this guy is trying to sell me everything under the son, from a Boomerang ( Lo Jack device), to tinting, to window etchings of serial numbers on windows and all major components, so I am thinking yea sure, just take my money and let me get back to my car.
Then, he asks me if I want to take a full maintenance plan, this is when the hair on my back started to rise.
I tell him what are you talking about the salesman told me maintenance is covered for 4 years 50k, that is the first time I found out that here in Canada it is only sheduled maintenance which does not cover brakes, wipers etc... so the point being, these dealers only care about $$$, there are nice ones, their are crooked ones , no matter, in the end it comes down to the fact that they do what's good for them and are very slick at protecting themselves and only scratching the surface.