E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ATTN: 2004 Left over model owners.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

I was reading a few days back and saw someone mention they had purchased a 04 leftover as I did too. Hey if you or anyone is reading this message me or reply. I was wondering if you got your 4 year warranty. As for me I only got 3yrs. I just assumed because since a year has gone by so did the warranty. I read the brochures on BMWNA it says you get 4 yrs when new. Now I think my car was new when I bought it (49mi) on odometer. It had the sticker price still on the car. I didn't ask if it was a demo, cuz I'm sure the salesdude would've said sumthin.
A few months ago I talked to service dept to shedule an appt. for my car, and they asked me if I was John Doe. Told him nope and blah blah got my appt. Last week I called again for some info about my car and again asked my if I was John Doe? I was like WTF?? Dude you guys asked me that the last time I called was my car used or sumthin and he says he does know, and I asked home was my car registered to John Doe or sumpin? He say nope. So why is that name there? He didn't know and I couldnt get an answer.

So yeah 04 leftys lemme know what you have.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by davepham671' post='221877' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:05 PM
I was reading a few days back and saw someone mention they had purchased a 04 leftover as I did too. Hey if you or anyone is reading this message me or reply. I was wondering if you got your 4 year warranty. As for me I only got 3yrs. I just assumed because since a year has gone by so did the warranty. I read the brochures on BMWNA it says you get 4 yrs when new. Now I think my car was new when I bought it (49mi) on odometer. It had the sticker price still on the car. I didn't ask if it was a demo, cuz I'm sure the salesdude would've said sumthin.
A few months ago I talked to service dept to shedule an appt. for my car, and they asked me if I was John Doe. Told him nope and blah blah got my appt. Last week I called again for some info about my car and again asked my if I was John Doe? I was like WTF?? Dude you guys asked me that the last time I called was my car used or sumthin and he says he does know, and I asked home was my car registered to John Doe or sumpin? He say nope. So why is that name there? He didn't know and I couldnt get an answer.

Warranty should start when you bought the car (49miles). Keep your paperwork. As for the name stuff, I'm not sure on that.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by davepham671' post='221877' date='Jan 9 2006, 11:05 PM

According to BMW, the car's in-service date is when the warranty clock starts: Either when you buy it new or, in the case of a demonstrator, the date the dealer put it in demo service. However, Demos get an added 6 mos or 5000 miles of warranty, no matter how many miles were put on it around the dealership.

As for John Doe, this sounds very peculiar. Did you get, and review your Mfr's Statement of Origin (MSO; looks like a title from BMW) at delivery? Was it clean on the back? You may want to call BMWNA customer service and ask who John Doe is. Mileage notwithstanding, was the car labeled New, Demo or Used?

Mine was an 04 demo with less than 1K miles. What state are you in? DMV laws cover the MSO/Title issuance.

Ray Hull
Old 01-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sapphire Black, Tiptronic, Sport, NAV, Cold Weather, Logic 7, 2004 Porsche GT3 2000 Porsche GT3 RSR 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago. I bought a car from the dealer with about 75 miles on it. Turns out it was what is refered to as a "roll back". The car was purchased by someone and the dealer had let him drive it home. Something happened to the financing and he had to return the car the next day. After about a month the dealer was unable to finance the guy and put the car back on the lot. I noticed that the DMV work did not reflect a new car. The dealer had not disclosed this to me which turns out to be against the law in California and I think most other states. When I challenged the dealer on it he tried to bullsh*t his way out of it. He ended up having to pay me $10,000 on a $40,000 car. You should look carefully at your DMV paperwork and the original "in service" date according to BMW. This may tell you a lot.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

I believe it's 90 days of warranty extension, not 6 mos, and correct, the warranty starts when it's put in service, not when you take possesion. Sounds like the dealer put it in anonymous demo use, and whenever it was "punched", that's when the meter began to run. Whatever the case, you shouldn't have any big issues, but I would call NA to find out exactly what I had. Tell them you don't think you're getting all the facts, and you want them. Courteously.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='222096

According to BMW, the car's in-service date is when the warranty clock starts: Either when you buy it new or, in the case of a demonstrator, the date the dealer put it in demo service. However, Demos get an added 6 mos or 5000 miles of warranty, no matter how many miles were put on it around the dealership.

As for John Doe, this sounds very peculiar. Did you get, and review your Mfr's Statement of Origin (MSO; looks like a title from BMW) at delivery? Was it clean on the back? You may want to call BMWNA customer service and ask who John Doe is. Mileage notwithstanding, was the car labeled New, Demo or Used?

Mine was an 04 demo with less than 1K miles. What state are you in? DMV laws cover the MSO/Title issuance.

Ray Hull
[/quote]

Yeah I'm aware of the in service date, and wonder why it needed service. My dealer never told me jack about 6mos or 5000 mi warranty. sales man even told me i'd get 4 yrs! when it got down to signing papers and was ready to cut a check they then said it's going to be 3 years. I was pissed, and desperate for a car cuz I just moved here(in L.A. Cali) I shopped various Dealerships and unfortunately this dealer had it. As for John Doe My I asked if John Doe was registered to DMV he said no. I have to double check my title. I checked out my car on Vehix.com and so far it says I'm the only owner.

Is the "MSO" like the sticker price of car, options, etc thats stuck on the window of the car? Not sure bout the delivery part. The car was just there sittin up front. I had called earlier if they had the model i wanted and just went there to check it out.

As for it being labeled New, used, or demo....I woulldnt know They were having it cleaned up before i took a look at the car. All I know is the sticker price for the car (I'm assuming thats MSO) was laying on the back seat. Sales dude used that sticker to show me what options the car had, price (2004)etc. He tried to offer me a used 5series wasnt sure if e60 or not, told him hell no. So yeah thats about it. I'm gonna check out the MSO/title isuance stuff see what it is. thanks
Old 01-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdente' post='222440' date='Jan 10 2006, 09:45 PM
I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago. I bought a car from the dealer with about 75 miles on it. Turns out it was what is refered to as a "roll back". The car was purchased by someone and the dealer had let him drive it home. Something happened to the financing and he had to return the car the next day. After about a month the dealer was unable to finance the guy and put the car back on the lot. I noticed that the DMV work did not reflect a new car. The dealer had not disclosed this to me which turns out to be against the law in California and I think most other states. When I challenged the dealer on it he tried to bullsh*t his way out of it. He ended up having to pay me $10,000 on a $40,000 car. You should look carefully at your DMV paperwork and the original "in service" date according to BMW. This may tell you a lot.
Oh man I love my car, but if it's a "roll back" I just gonna be outta control. How can I tell when I look at my title if I'm the original owner? I live in CA. I'm pretty sure I'm the 1st owner. Car had no plates and registration, etc. So I had to wait a while to recieve them. Sales dude didnt mention to me if it's used, demo. I assumed was new after seeing it had 2004 MSRP sticker and all. That John Doe, is really disturbing me, and i wanna find out why it;s there. I don't wanna ask the salesdude that sold me the car or ask anyone else in that dealership for more info, fearing they may try and cover up or BS their way out of it. Thanks
Old 01-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by allenman' post='222449' date='Jan 10 2006, 09:58 PM
I believe it's 90 days of warranty extension, not 6 mos, and correct, the warranty starts when it's put in service, not when you take possesion. Sounds like the dealer put it in anonymous demo use, and whenever it was "punched", that's when the meter began to run. Whatever the case, you shouldn't have any big issues, but I would call NA to find out exactly what I had. Tell them you don't think you're getting all the facts, and you want them. Courteously.
Well if you're right about 90 days, or what ever it is, sales did'nt inform me. Anonymous demo use? Does that qualify me car as demo? I took a test drive a 2005 model from Beverly Hills BMW and I know I was drivin a spankin new one 8mi. on it. Maybe they did that to mine for about 6 times, anoymously.hehe I floored that car....salesdude had a difficult time hangin on to his paper's, brochures, and calculator movin around from his brief case,as he used it ask his desk> LOL that was entertaining...haha, the I liked the guy but didnt have the car i was lookin for, I wanted white on black, they had auburn...eew. Oh yeah he's n ew guy too and didnt have much knowledge bout the car..LOL I asked him what he drove...Told me a "Glorified Toyota" That cracked me up I woulda got a car from him. Too bad they didnt have it. Ok I'try lookin for their number and call.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

I suggest that you pull out your sales contract and examin it very carefullyl. As far as I know every sales contract must state if the car being purchased is A) New Demo or C) Used , there is a difference for each term.
New is as stated, Demo - When a dealer determines that a particular car will be used as a Demonstrator, they must notify the manufacturer accordingly. As a demo the car must be used as a demo for at least 6 months afterwhich the manufacturer (BMW) provides the dealer with a discount which is usually passed on to the consumer. The in service date for a demo is the date that the dealer informs the manufacturer that the car has been put on the road as a demo and the warranty clock commences on the date the demo is put into use. Some dealers commission a demo for a very short time, usually because they are short of stock and their designated demo has not yet been delivered. These cars usually have very low mileage on them, maybe 80 - 150. The dealer does not advise the mfg that the car is a demo and thus does not receive a rebate. The sales contract will show the actual mileage when the car is sold however on the sales contract the car is noted as " New" and the warranty commences when the car is actually sold to a purchaser.

Used- Usually a different contract altogether which states used, warranty starts on date car was sold to first purchaser or when it was commissioned as a demo if that happened prior to sale.

If your contract does not mention anything, I suggest either of the two following actions.

A) Go to another BMW dealer ask them to punch your vin number into their computer and tell you the date the car was put in service. This information is listed in all their computers as they have to be able to determine if car is under warranty before they commence any service and this date is always shown.

Call BMWNA and ask them.

I do not know where you live, but I am sure that there are consumer laws to protect the consumer against any illicit practices especially in the Auto industry where they have been rampant for years.

Let us know what happens.

P.S. I also leased a 2004 left over, took delivery in Feb 2005, my car had 296 miles on it and I just pulled out my sales contract which is marked as " NEW"

Another thing to check is your service booklet, usually the dealer writes in the date the car was put on the road.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Dave, I think you need to review ALL your paperwork very carefully. First, the MSO is a very fancy, engraved brown and blue certificate from BMW that is computer printed with the port of entry, BMWNA, and the dealership to whom it is sold and language stating that the car was transferred from BMW to the dealer in the normal course of business (read: not ever sold retail or used). On the back of this about 7x9" page are boxes for dealer to dealer transfers and the all important actual sales transfer to a new owner. You may have never seen this if the dealer did all your DMV registration transactions. BUT, your sales contract must match the statement on the MSO (NEW, DEMO, USED) and DMV checks all that at registration. And your Title you receive from the State will too.

As is mentioned above, there are vehicles that "roll back" for one legitimate reason or another, and it's usually the DEALER who takes the financial hit if he can't resell the car as NEW. This "NEW" determination is certified by the manufacturer on the MSO, by the dealer on the sales contract, and the DMV in the law and its review of the documents.

STATE DMV LAWS differ, but I am sure Cal is strict and checks these things very carefully. So, that's where you need to start, and then work backward. If your dealer sold you a technically used car, and recorded it as a "new" sale, he's in trouble. But, I suspect, it's within the bounds of the law and BMW, but you need to have all parties' info to verify your paperwork. I assume your title also reflects whatever was on the MSO, so check it for New/Used/Demo/Salvage, etc.

Bottom line is that BMW still honors the warranty; your question is what is the in-service date, HOW was it put in service, (sold, demo, etc) and who is John Doe. As long as you are with a franchised BMW dealer, he has to be responsible. Were this a used car dealer, there would be no factory recourse, etc .

Good luck.
Ray Hull

PS Oh, and BTW, if you have had the car serviced, check all those boxes on the top of the service order; my dealer's computer enters the in-service date right up there on every service order, along with the VIN, and your info.

Quick Reply: ATTN: 2004 Left over model owners.