E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Attention ALL 545iA Owners, can you please confirm the following idlin

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by remuse' post='281875' date='May 13 2006, 10:00 AM
Hi All 545iA owners!

Can you guys please help and confirm whether your 545iA shakes/jitters (idles rough) when the car is sitting there idling in Park or Drive?

I have an '04 545iA with 21,489 miles (built date 09/03) that shakes/jitters (idles rough) when the car is idling in Park or Drive. The problem occurs either when the car is cold or hot.

My car has been in and out of the dealer for about 4-5 times now. Thus far, my dealer has opened a PUMA case with BMW of North America and has performed the following:
1. Updated my car to the most recent software (CIP 220)
2. Had the BMW Field Service Engineer look at my car
3. Replaced all the intermediate levers and eccentric shafts
4. Submitted all my car data to BMW Engineers after the replacement of the intermediate levers and eccentric shafts
5. Performed a vacuum test, determined there is a vacuum leak, and replaced the vacuum hoses that leaked.

However, my car still shakes/jitters when it idles in Park. I did see a slight improvement when the car idles in Drive. It does not shake or jitter as much.

My dealer is now claiming that the shake/jitter when the car is idling in park is "normal". They are saying the 545i and 645i are like this. I told them to show me (5) 545i and (5) 645i that has this problem and we will talk but until then I stand firm and insist the problem be fixed immediately or else I am requesting a buyback. My car has been at the dealer for almost 4 weeks now. Prior to this visit my car was in and out of the dealer for about 3-4 weeks.

I have communicated to my Service Manager, BMW North America, and Director of Service if the Field Service Engineer can't fix it or come up with anymore solutions to fix this problem in a timely manner, I want a buyback. All of them seem to agree with great reluctance.

My Service Manager said their next course of action is to have another Field Service Engineer look at my car on Monday, May 15.

I know there have been numerous post on this issue and I have already brought it to their attention; however, it will be a big help for my case. So please help and post your response ASAP so I can prove them wrong by showing the response that it is NOT "NORMAL" that the 545i shakes/jitters (idles rough) when it idles in Park. A simple line that states your 545i does not shake/jitter when it idles in Park or Drive will help my case! Thank you in advance!

I will definitely keep you all posted and thank you for those that have replied thus far!
Mine is a 09/03 build, 41,000 miles on her and not a shimmy or shake. Well not after I got rid of the runflats....
Old 05-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Members

Took delivery on my 05 545i last August. One of my first complaints was the rough idle. But the rough idle only happens when the idle speed is around 700 rpm when the AC is on. My other complaint is the tapping noise under light load. Never got satisfaction from dealer. I've learned to live with it and move on when my lease is up in 2 years.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Southpaw80' post='283082' date='May 16 2006, 06:17 AM
Took delivery on my 05 545i last August. One of my first complaints was the rough idle. But the rough idle only happens when the idle speed is around 700 rpm when the AC is on. My other complaint is the tapping noise under light load. Never got satisfaction from dealer. I've learned to live with it and move on when my lease is up in 2 years.
Mine has that tapping noise too. They replaced my Cam Chain Tensioner and it went away for 3 months. Now, the tapping is back, but not as bad as before. So I learned to live with it.

Regarding the idling issue, mine is very smooth. Almost imperceptible. If AC was on, then the RPM will blip every 30-40 seconds or so to work the compressor.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

545i - 4/04 9200 miles, smooth idling.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

My RPMs wander a little + - 100 to 200 RPMs during idle and crusing... and very very soft tapping noise under acceleration during cold... i'll monitor it and see how it goes.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

Not sure if this is off topic or not, but while driving my vehicle "shakes." This only happens around 1500RPM's and does not depend on the gear. I have always thought it happened to be my tires, but it only happens around that RPM range.. BTW, it feels like an unbalance, but have had my tires replaced a few thousand miles ago, same issue before then. Anyway, just thought I would add my two pennies.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - Steptronic - Logic 7 - Sirius Satellite - CD Changer - Cold Weather Pkg.- Fold Down Rear Seats - Comfort Seats Mods: Dinan CAI - RPI dual intake scoops - Euro AHL Bi-Xenons - LED Angels,
Model Year: 2004

My '04 545 is smooth at idle. build date Oct 2003, Occasional miss but rare. No complaints --very happy with car so far, where is the wood to knock on!!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Members

Hello, I just signed up on this forum when I found this thread. I too have the same problem in my 05 545i Steptronic. The car has 9200 miles on it and was delivered in May 05. The idle problem makes the car "bounce" when the AC is on. I took my car to the dealer yesterday and they looked at the problem. They diagnosed it and adjusted the valvetronic. This was ironic because the very same dealer sat in the car last summer and told me that the car was normal. On the drive home it felt like the idle had actually gotten WORSE! I am beginning to think that this is a software problem since it only happens when load is placed on the engine at idle. If anyone comes up with a solution, let me know. I am going to take my car back to the dealer again next week and complain.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: e60 545i, build date july '04, saphire metallic black, auburn interior, sports package.

I drive a June '04 build date 545i and have no such problems. It runs very smoothly when I start it whether cold or warmed up. I have at times checked the tachometer to be sure the engine is running.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by darkshark' post='297623' date='Jun 14 2006, 08:25 PM
I drive a June '04 build date 545i and have no such problems. It runs very smoothly when I start it whether cold or warmed up. I have at times checked the tachometer to be sure the engine is running.

I have also noticed some rough idle and vibration when the car is in P and N. I didnt pay it much mind, I though V8's did that b/c of an older '64 hemi cuda i borrowed from my boss....wow what an animal(850hp).....which vibrated I though it was within the realm of normal for V8's. Will definetely pay more attention now....might even take it for service

Quick Reply: Attention ALL 545iA Owners, can you please confirm the following idlin