E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashtray Replacement for coin holder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Sport

Anyone know if there is a way to replace the ashtray on a 2006 550i with some sort of coin holder that is rubberized so the coins won't rattle around? I was thinking maybe this was possible since my car has the "Smoker's Package" so perhaps there is something that goes in the place of the ashtray with the non smoker's package.

Thanks for any advice...
Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I use the ashtray as a parking meter coin holder as well.

I do not have any rattle problems (usually loaded), but if you do, just do it yourself
with some foam or something.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 AM
Contributors

I'm sure I had the "remove smoker package" on my last E60. You still got the ash tray, but instead of a cigarette lighter in the 12V socket which you could push in so it heated up to light cigarettes, you just got a plastic cover which said "12V" or something. There were still ash trays in the car, front, back, and doors.

In the LCI, I don't remember selecting non smoker package, but there are no ashtrays or lighters anywhere.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by rickyf' post='489977' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:03 AM
Anyone know if there is a way to replace the ashtray on a 2006 550i with some sort of coin holder that is rubberized so the coins won't rattle around? I was thinking maybe this was possible since my car has the "Smoker's Package" so perhaps there is something that goes in the place of the ashtray with the non smoker's package.

Thanks for any advice...
I use the lined storage compartment to the right of the steering wheel in the lower dash. For you stateside or the rest of Europe it will be to the lower left of the steering wheel. This is kind of felt lined and has a hinged lid, ideal for masses of coins which would otherwise wear a hole in the trouser (pants) pocket.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='490711' date='Nov 6 2007, 02:57 PM
I'm sure I had the "remove smoker package" on my last E60. You still got the ash tray, but instead of a cigarette lighter in the 12V socket which you could push in so it heated up to light cigarettes, you just got a plastic cover which said "12V" or something. There were still ash trays in the car, front, back, and doors.
In the LCI, I don't remember selecting non smoker package, but there are no ashtrays or lighters anywhere.
So in UK the car comes as a non-smoker as OEM.

My new one will come as a smoker's one. It don't cost anything, but was a discussing when I ordered the car.

The ashtrays (in the back seat doors) are OK for children's gums etc. items that I don't want to see in the seats...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='490711' date='Nov 6 2007, 12:57 PM

Russ, there was a "Delete Smokers Pack" option when I ordered my 535d in the UK. However, when I spoke with the dealer they said that it actually removed the cigarette lighter in the front alltogether, so I stuck with it... I'll never use it to light a fag anyway?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='490787' date='Nov 6 2007, 09:29 AM
I use the lined storage compartment to the right of the steering wheel in the lower dash. For you stateside or the rest of Europe it will be to the lower left of the steering wheel. This is kind of felt lined and has a hinged lid, ideal for masses of coins which would otherwise wear a hole in the trouser (pants) pocket.
I don't have that compartment on my 06 550i.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Members

Sorry to beat a dead horse but anyone know of a replacement to the ashtray for coins?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by rickyf' post='490834' date='Nov 6 2007, 07:56 PM
Sorry to beat a dead horse but anyone know of a replacement to the ashtray for coins?
Actually I'll be delighted to know My car isn't equipped with the smoker pack but the tray looks like ashtray except it holds a sign "do not use for cigarettes".
Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by rickyf' post='489977' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:03 AM

Thanks for any advice...
Hi Rickyf, I have the delete smokers package on my LCI. This swaps the ashtray for a rubber lined storage tray. BUT, as I found out after the order had been placed, the power socket up front is deleted as well. Still I use one of the sockets in the rear to charge anything I need in the car.

You might be able to buy one of the new trays, but as it removes the power socket I am not sure if it would directly fit into your car.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Ashtray Replacement for coin holder?