E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arm rest creaking sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I just bought a used 2010 550i with a very nice interior... except for one thing: The center arm rest, where I place my right elbow as a I drive, has a very annoying creaking sound.

I'm referring specifically to the left-most slab that can slide forward. I leave it in its regular position and as I rest by elbow on it, I get the sound as if I'm stepping on an old wooden floor. It's awful and really detracts from an otherwise exceptional interior.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you fix it? I took it to the dealer and they said that there's technically nothing wrong with it, which is BS. That noise is unnacceptable for this type of car.

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

I have a 2008 550i, with the exact same noise. But in mine, the noise is coming from the red seatbelt arm to the right of the seat. When the seatbelt latches into it, the arm is pulled against the seat and rubs on the leather. Very annoying noise while driving. I've found by pulling the arm away from the seat the noise is eliminated. Now I need to wrap the seatbelt arm in something...
Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 PM
jgt
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I don't know what it is but this whole platform creaks. :thumbsdown:
My guess is its just the combination and type of plastics, vinyl and foam they used on the E60. No real solution/fix that I know of... I've learned to just crank up the tunes and ignore it.
I did rail the dealer on those little survey's they send out after you service the car under "What can BMW do to improve future designs?".
I said something to the effect of "How about a better fit and finish than a 15 year old Kia? This whole car sounds like a creaking old ship."
Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by dingolfing
I have a 2008 550i, with the exact same noise. But in mine, the noise is coming from the red seatbelt arm to the right of the seat. When the seatbelt latches into it, the arm is pulled against the seat and rubs on the leather. Very annoying noise while driving. I've found by pulling the arm away from the seat the noise is eliminated. Now I need to wrap the seatbelt arm in something...
Get a piece of black felt with adhesive on it and attach it to the lower portion of the buckle and it will fix this. You can't see it either. It just takes a small piece
Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by jgt
I don't know what it is but this whole platform creaks. :thumbsdown:
My guess is its just the combination and type of plastics, vinyl and foam they used on the E60. No real solution/fix that I know of... I've learned to just crank up the tunes and ignore it.
I did rail the dealer on those little survey's they send out after you service the car under "What can BMW do to improve future designs?".
I said something to the effect of "How about a better fit and finish than a 15 year old Kia? This whole car sounds like a creaking old ship."
Squeaks are pretty common in a lot of cars. Most of them come from the leather. They make a anti squeak you can apply to the area that should eliminate it. The problem may getting to it. This stuff is normally transparent and you can locate it on the web. Try searching for leather anti squeak. http://www.ikvlubricants.com/aerosol...-squeak-fluids this is just one. Sad thing is you might have to take the armrest off to really get t i the area you need.