E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

arggg, got ticket for no front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eegrad' post='372133
Front license plates are so gay. I could never live in a state that requires them.
Lucky for me, they don't even give you a front plate in FL. One plate only.... for rear.
Used to live in TX, did not care about state requirement so no front plate and luckily no tickets either. Moved to GA, One plate only but a lot of people insist on putting something on their front: Plate with "BMW" roundel, plate with "Princess", etc....
Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributors

I never ever heard a person being pulled over JUST for no plate. Most of the time, they just tack it on to a ticket, like if you were speeding.

I still have my dealer tags still on.... its been almost a year.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Having dealer plates on one year after taking delivery of the car is a California phenomenon. I'll do it with my next car!
Old 02-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5 Silverstone/black/alum mods: 20" Vellano wheels, H&R spring, SS x-pipe + SS Race exhaust, hardwired V1 E60 530i - sport package, bluetooth mods: M-tech full kit, OEM M5 side mirrors, Hella smoked tail light, Formula One Classic tint 50% all around

I thought that I'd revive this thread... ha!
Just got pulled over by cop this morning at LAX because of no front license plate, 6:30 AM!!!!!!! they really did their job, didn't they?
I read so many posts here about no front license plate and I did it carefully, especially at LAX. When I parked my car at the parking garage, I leave my front license at dashboard.

But never crossed my mind I'd be pulled over at the when I am about to leave LAX. Sucks so bad. The cop was laughing because I told the excuse of having my bumper redone and haven't got a chance to put the plate on. He laughed and said... "yeah, you guys don't want to put the front plate on your nice car, I knew it...."
Got a fix tic. Argghh. Now I need to learn from EMBCS03 on how to put the front plate without drilling the bumper.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=21233&st=30

closing statement: be careful guys at LAX... really.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2003 530d

I think the Swiss front plates are a quite acceptable compromise.. very subtle:

arggg, got ticket for no front license plate-img_2026.jpg

Greg
Old 02-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

If you want to install it permanently, but don't want to drill into the bumper, there are two Torx bolts on the M Tech bumper under the lip in the "mouth" of the bumbler. They extend vertically up. You could easily have a bracket made to attach there, using the Torx bolts, and "hang" the plate from that bracket down. Problem is the plate would be hanging over the lower opening in the "mouth", blocking some air flow to the radiator. I guess you could attach the bracket at the bottom of the plate, and have the plate sit where the factory bracket goes, but it would be susceptible to being bent back and scratching the bumper.

No good solution excpet move to a no front plate state. Pennsylvania = no front plates here.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by snikt21' post='393056' date='Feb 19 2007, 06:01 AM
I thought that I'd revive this thread... ha!
Just got pulled over by cop this morning at LAX because of no front license plate, 6:30 AM!!!!!!! they really did their job, didn't they?
I read so many posts here about no front license plate and I did it carefully, especially at LAX. When I parked my car at the parking garage, I leave my front license at dashboard.

But never crossed my mind I'd be pulled over at the when I am about to leave LAX. Sucks so bad. The cop was laughing because I told the excuse of having my bumper redone and haven't got a chance to put the plate on. He laughed and said... "yeah, you guys don't want to put the front plate on your nice car, I knew it...."
Got a fix tic. Argghh. Now I need to learn from EMBCS03 on how to put the front plate without drilling the bumper.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=21233&st=30

closing statement: be careful guys at LAX... really.
Why don't you just use double sided foam sticky pads? Many cars in the UK have plates mounted in this way, in fact I have just used them for my wife's car as she has just bought a personalised registration. They are for sale in our main car accessory Halfords (in fact they are more or less the only one I think).

When required you can use a long kitchen knife to cut between the pad and the plate to remove the plate and then any residue comes off easily by cleaning the bumper with white spirit.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

7 years and 4 different cars without front license plate in TX. Got pulled over few weeks ago in my 5 and got a warning. Never did anything about it, I told the cop that never had front license place since i got the car used (the plate is in my trunk).
Old 02-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5 Silverstone/black/alum mods: 20" Vellano wheels, H&R spring, SS x-pipe + SS Race exhaust, hardwired V1 E60 530i - sport package, bluetooth mods: M-tech full kit, OEM M5 side mirrors, Hella smoked tail light, Formula One Classic tint 50% all around

Originally Posted by dawi' post='393169' date='Feb 19 2007, 09:31 AM
Why don't you just use double sided foam sticky pads?
Yeah, looking at EBMCS03 posting, looks like velcro/double sided tape and wax string would do the job. I don't want to drill the bumper for sure...
One more thing that's funny is when the cop asked for my license, of course he meant driver license, but because it's still 6:30 in the morning, had not had my coffee, etc. I gave him my front license plate instead of my driver license, he was cracking up...
Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Greg530' post='393111
[snip]
I gave him my front license plate instead of my driver license, he was cracking up...
So was I!

Quick Reply: arggg, got ticket for no front license plate