E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

> Aquaplaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport, Silver-grey, Black Dakota, Media, Visibility, HUD, Foldy mirrors, Hot seats.

Hi all

I was driving at about 75-80mph last week and came into a very heavy storm. Lots of water on the carriageway. The car felt quite funny and almost as if it was aquaplaning, didn't like it so sloed right down. Never had a problem with previous cars at similar speeds. Wondered if it was the runflats. I have goodyear eagles on my car. Should I get another brand when they need changing?

Anyone else had any bad wet weather experiences?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I spun out on the Dunlops.

I live in Florida, and so I got the Sport Package on my 545i when I bought it.
We don't have winter down here, so I didn't worry about all-season tires.
My car came with the Dunlops, which I hated.... but I decided to let them wear out and then I would change to something new.

I ended up having to spend a few months up in Washington DC last year. So I took my car up there.
There was 1 snow storm, but I was able to leave the car in a garage during that.

When I was returning home to Florida, I made a stop in Charleston SC where my parents live.
I decided to get my car oil changed, and did that in Charleston. This was a few days after Christmas.
The dealer told me when I picked the car up that I needed tires badly. The cords were showing on the Dunlops.

I asked if they had Michelins to fit my car, and they didn't. They would have to order them. I was returning to Florida in a day or two, so I decided to just drive home and order the tires in Florida.

Of course, on the day I drive home it was pouring rain all day.

I was driving on I-95 South just before Jacksonville. It was nighttime. I was in the left lane, driving maybe 75 mph. I was slowly passing a car on my right. As I was approaching this car, it began to hydroplane. I said to myself "Oh Shit", and then tried to give this person some extra room by moving to the left side of my lane. As I did so, my car began to hydroplane. I let go of the gas pedal and tried to correct the skid, but my car was turned 90 degrees sideways before I could do anything. At that point, I knew there would be no recovering, and I stepped on the brake as hard as I could. My car spun out and left the road to the left-hand side. I skidded and spun across the grass median.

While I was skidding, I continued to stand on the brake as hard as possible. I knew that I was going to skid for a while before stopping, and that it was possible I could end up on the other side of the Interstate, with oncoming traffic.

While spinning, I managed to keep VERY clear headed. I remember telling myself:

"OK.... you are spinning, and you are going to end up on the oncoming traffic side of the Interstate. You are going to have to act fast if you want to survive this. When you stop, you need to figure out which way you are facing, and GET OFF THE ROAD ASAP. This might mean going forward, or in reverse... depending on which way I am facing."

So, while I was still spinning I put the SMG into Neutral. I wanted to be ready to go into D or R on a moments notice.

When the car stopped, I quickly looked around to determine which way I was facing. I saw that I was in the fast lane of I-95 North, sideways facing towards the center median. So I put the car into D, and pulled forward quickly into the grass median.

About 2 seconds later, the oncoming traffic flew by.

Needless to say, it was a close call. I probably should be dead. Had I spun out on a section of road with trees, or if I had not acted as quickly to get out of the oncoming traffic... I'd have been splattered.

Remarkably, there was no damage to the car. Not a single scratch on the paint. Only a lot of grass and mud in the wheels.

When I got home, I had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires installed.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Blondie' post='340904' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:34 AM
Hi all

I was driving at about 75-80mph last week and came into a very heavy storm. Lots of water on the carriageway. The car felt quite funny and almost as if it was aquaplaning, didn't like it so sloed right down. Never had a problem with previous cars at similar speeds. Wondered if it was the runflats. I have goodyear eagles on my car. Should I get another brand when they need changing?

I would not think the run-flats would affect this - it is more of tread design and how the tread channels water. You can ask a tire dealer how the goodyears are versus other brands, but most of these have good water channeling.

Also, wider tires will be more prone to this.

80mph in a heavy storm with lots of water - I would think any tire would have this problem. There is a finite point where there is too much water for a tire to channel it properly.

My gut feel - the tires are fine - but slow down in a very heavy storm and live longer or save on body damage.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='340918' date='Oct 2 2006, 02:14 PM
I spun out on the Dunlops.
I live in Florida, and so I got the Sport Package on my 545i when I bought it.
We don't have winter down here, so I didn't worry about all-season tires.
My car came with the Dunlops, which I hated.... but I decided to let them wear out and then I would change to something new.
I ended up having to spend a few months up in Washington DC last year. So I took my car up there.
There was 1 snow storm, but I was able to leave the car in a garage during that.

When I was returning home to Florida, I made a stop in Charleston SC where my parents live.
I decided to get my car oil changed, and did that in Charleston. This was a few days after Christmas.
The dealer told me when I picked the car up that I needed tires badly. The cords were showing on the Dunlops.

I asked if they had Michelins to fit my car, and they didn't. They would have to order them. I was returning to Florida in a day or two, so I decided to just drive home and order the tires in Florida.
Of course, on the day I drive home it was pouring rain all day.

I was driving on I-95 South just before Jacksonville. It was nighttime. I was in the left lane, driving maybe 75 mph. I was slowly passing a car on my right. As I was approaching this car, it began to hydroplane. I said to myself "Oh Shit", and then tried to give this person some extra room by moving to the left side of my lane. As I did so, my car began to hydroplane. I let go of the gas pedal and tried to correct the skid, but my car was turned 90 degrees sideways before I could do anything. At that point, I knew there would be no recovering, and I stepped on the brake as hard as I could. My car spun out and left the road to the left-hand side. I skidded and spun across the grass median.

While I was skidding, I continued to stand on the brake as hard as possible. I knew that I was going to skid for a while before stopping, and that it was possible I could end up on the other side of the Interstate, with oncoming traffic.

While spinning, I managed to keep VERY clear headed. I remember telling myself:

"OK.... you are spinning, and you are going to end up on the oncoming traffic side of the Interstate. You are going to have to act fast if you want to survive this. When you stop, you need to figure out which way you are facing, and GET OFF THE ROAD ASAP. This might mean going forward, or in reverse... depending on which way I am facing."

So, while I was still spinning I put the SMG into Neutral. I wanted to be ready to go into D or R on a moments notice.

When the car stopped, I quickly looked around to determine which way I was facing. I saw that I was in the fast lane of I-95 North, sideways facing towards the center median. So I put the car into D, and pulled forward quickly into the grass median.

About 2 seconds later, the oncoming traffic flew by.
Needless to say, it was a close call. I probably should be dead. Had I spun out on a section of road with trees, or if I had not acted as quickly to get out of the oncoming traffic... I'd have been splattered.
Remarkably, there was no damage to the car. Not a single scratch on the paint. Only a lot of grass and mud in the wheels.
When I got home, I had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires installed.
Holy crap Subterfuse... that's some scary stuff right there. You definitely saved yourself with your quick thinking. On that note, how are the Michelin's performing?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by octee' post='340979' date='Oct 2 2006, 06:44 PM
Holy crap Subterfuse... that's some scary stuff right there. You definitely saved yourself with your quick thinking. On that note, how are the Michelin's performing?

Michelins.

I have only 2 words to describe Michelins.

F%*K YEAH!!!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport, Silver-grey, Black Dakota, Media, Visibility, HUD, Foldy mirrors, Hot seats.

Originally Posted by jsal' post='340950' date='Oct 2 2006, 09:59 PM
I would not think the run-flats would affect this - it is more of tread design and how the tread channels water. You can ask a tire dealer how the goodyears are versus other brands, but most of these have good water channeling.

Also, wider tires will be more prone to this.

80mph in a heavy storm with lots of water - I would think any tire would have this problem. There is a finite point where there is too much water for a tire to channel it properly.

My gut feel - the tires are fine - but slow down in a very heavy storm and live longer or save on body damage.
Scary story. Guess I'll just have to slow down a bit. I don't really think I was driving too aggressively though.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Blondie' post='340904' date='Oct 3 2006, 01:34 AM
Hi all

I used to have goodyear eagles on my E46 18" and I did not like them at all. In the wet they do not grip that good so dont drive to fast in the rain. In the dry they are not that good too. The only thing that is good about these tyre is the price which are quite cheep.

Now I have got the BF goodrich 19" 1s on my e60 and they are very very good
I can do over a ton in the wet and it just grips BUT there is a downsite for these tyre and they do ware fast if you push them hard.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributors

I can make everyone's tire buying decisions REALLY simple...

Michelin = Good

Anything else = generic crap :thumbsdown:

Personally, if I want to drink a soda.... I'll drink the real thing. Coke.
I don't drink Publix brand Cola so I can save a nickel.

I don't put generic tires on my car, either.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Plenty of people who prefer Pepsi... or Bridgestone
Old 10-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

Interesting about the Michelin's. On our truck, we had Michelin's (obviously whole different set up there) but they were awful when it came to gripping the road.

Quick Reply: > Aquaplaning