E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Appears that dealer overtightened the front plate holder.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pradden
It worked great, headliner looks like new. Doesn't take much either
Just dilute it with water and use a toothbrush to apply? Any sort of rinse or vacuum to remove what was applied?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
Just dilute it with water and use a toothbrush to apply? Any sort of rinse or vacuum to remove what was applied?
I used a small 5qt tub, poured in a good amount of Woolite(about a cap full), then combined it with a small amount of hot water. Mixed it well.

Use a microfiber towel to dip in the cleaning solution and then scrub the headliner with a corner of that now damp towel. Next, use a dry wash cloth or terry cloth towel to dry and absorb the stain.

I didn't use a hair dryer, but you can use one to help the drying.

Good Luck
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Members

Appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

It's possible you can improve the deformation on your front bumper with a polished hammer and a heat gun. You have to be careful with the heat gun though, it could get too hot for the paint. Basically, you would slowly heat the area up with the heat gun and once heated well take the hammer and VERY gently and softly tap the area. You MUST go slow and take your time. If you get in a hurry its very easy to cause the material to go negative. The heat will soften the PP material and after you move it around a little and it cools it should stay. Again, you need to go very slow because the heat needs to saturate the material and not just be isolated to the surface. The heat gun should have a temp control on it and I would start with medium and max air. This is only another option for you. I would personally do this before you do any deburring.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Members

Not sure I'm able to go that far.

Can I bother you with another question? When I look under the front bumper I see a black gasket that runs between the bumper and the the under carriage that's bent a bit. When I go to real OEM dot com I can't seem to find the part. It looks like it could be 3 on this photo, but there's no information on the site to explain that part.

Link to the page.

Is that actually the part I need and do you know what that's referred to as?

Photo of part:

ETA: Looks like I could just buy part number 15 and install that?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how long are the screws? does the plastic stick out even with the screw removed?

try heating up the area with a hair dryer, and pushing in a bit.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Members

I tried adding a larger image of the original I posted to my Gallery, but it appears about the same size. You can see that the driver side screw sticks out a bit more than the passenger one, but I think when I deburr the hole I will get them to sit flush. The hair drier trick and some convincing may do the trick. I definitely don't want to mess it up any worse though.

ETA: I don't want to clutter up the board, do you have an opinion on what part I need to replace the lower bumper gasket I referenced? Seems like none of the parts show 09 528i on their compatibility. For $25 I may just buy the part number 15 pictured before and see if it goes on.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

Talk to your parts department about 15. I think that is the correct piece. As to the plates, I would get the bumper plugs, the screws look silly. I had the same problem, and took a knife to it to deburr it. I have jet black, so it was not that big a deal to take the knife to it. I went with black push plugs from home depot, they where cheaper, and way easier to get.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

Talk to the Sales Manager and the Service Manager where you purchased the car from and inform them of the issues that should have been addressed when they did their CPO checklist tobring the car up to par. They should agree to have YOUR local BMW address/fix some of the issues and then have them invoice them back. I was able to do this for mine.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GoRavens
issues that should have been addressed when they did their CPO checklist
I have a copy of the checklist that states the headliner meets BMW Guidelines & Standards. I doubt they would do anything about the plate holder issues since they leased the car new and put it on there. Me removing the holder is what exposed the deformation of the bumper. I just ordered #15 part off of that list and will just install it myself.

I'll try the Woolite tomorrow.

I may try to primer and touch up paint some push plugs for the bumper, I need some touch up paint anyway.

Quick Reply: Appears that dealer overtightened the front plate holder.