E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used a bottle jack to lift their E60

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I need to invest in a jack of some description, which is light and compact. This is only for changing the spare wheel in emergencies. A trolley jack does not fit the bill.
An OEM BMW one will be ideal, but BMW will charge me ??$$ for one. Now.........I can pick up a 2 ton bottle jack for about ?10 ($20).

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=16150

My only concern is that I have never used one of these.

Also the one that I have seen is listed as requiring a minimum height of 181mm. I don't believe the clearance on the E60 allows this much space to physically get the jack underneath the jacking point.

All comments welcome.
Thanks guys.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Try out this site that I came across about using a floor jack with an attachment when I had an X5.
http://www.x5world.com/articles/x5/wheels/...-points-x5.html
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it will be to tall.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM
JPJ
Contributors

I don't know standard lumber sizes in the UK, but I keep a couple of 2 foot long pieces of "2 x 10" (which is actually like 1 3/4 inches thick by about 9" wide). Just drive the car up on them and the jack will fit under just fine with the extra height.

Rather than a bottle jack for quick lifts like this I use a pair of small scissor jacks (can lift one side with a pair which is faster for wheel/tire swaps). Got these from when I had may E46 and they have always been great. Mine were from a Wal Mart store and only $20-25 each. Here's what mine look like -- even have a safety pin.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='654170' date='Aug 26 2008, 01:49 AM
I don't know standard lumber sizes in the UK, but I keep a couple of 2 foot long pieces of "2 x 10" (which is actually like 1 3/4 inches thick by about 9" wide). Just drive the car up on them and the jack will fit under just fine with the extra height.

Rather than a bottle jack for quick lifts like this I use a pair of small scissor jacks (can lift one side with a pair which is faster for wheel/tire swaps). Got these from when I had may E46 and they have always been great. Mine were from a Wal Mart store and only $20-25 each. Here's what mine look like -- even have a safety pin.
Thanks for this......A scissor jack would be much more convenient, but the only ones I can find have a lift capacity of 1.5Tonnes..........But E60's weigh closer to 2 tonnes. So would this not be unsafe ? What is the lift capacity on yours ? Or do you always lift with the 2 jacks at once ???
I'm really confused by this - surely the BMW scissor jack is similar to aftermarket ones, but then does it too only have a lift capacity of 1.5 tonnes ???
Old 08-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

How about a jack cheaper than a tenner??

Oh yes.

Go to your local scrappers and get a jack from a late model Vauxhall Carlton, or Omega and I think that the Cavalier/Vectra ones will be man enough too, but check the SWL - it will be printed on the jack. They come with a plastic top to nestle into the Vauxhall sill - take 2 minutes cutting the end lips off the plastic and it is a perfect fit for the BMW receptacle!

Remember that although your E60 weighs a lot, you won't be lifting its entire weight - probably only 65% of it, as for changing a wheel, you'll have two definitely on the ground, and the other mainly on the ground whilst you do it.

I've used my ex-Vauxhall jack with no problems, although I've never had a puncture on this car with non-RFT's on it. It's significantly smaller and lighter than a bottle jack too.

Cheapskate Mike
Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

this will not fit under our cars.
too high.
go to the scrap yard and get a 2nd jack most will fit.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

If you are going to be hauling it around and space is an issue, a bottle jack may do the trick. It's probably OK if just for emergencies and if it will fit under the car (which will be extra low with a flat). I just find them a bit dodgy and unstable for my taste, but a scissor jack isn't that great either. I use a three ton floor jack in my garage and would just call AAA Roadside Assistance (not sure what the UK version is, but you get the idea) if I had a flat as they get paid to take that risk. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the help guys. Some good ideas here.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='654533' date='Aug 26 2008, 02:18 PM
How about a jack cheaper than a tenner??

Oh yes.

Go to your local scrappers and get a jack from a late model Vauxhall Carlton, or Omega and I think that the Cavalier/Vectra ones will be man enough too, but check the SWL - it will be printed on the jack. They come with a plastic top to nestle into the Vauxhall sill - take 2 minutes cutting the end lips off the plastic and it is a perfect fit for the BMW receptacle!

Remember that although your E60 weighs a lot, you won't be lifting its entire weight - probably only 65% of it, as for changing a wheel, you'll have two definitely on the ground, and the other mainly on the ground whilst you do it.

I've used my ex-Vauxhall jack with no problems, although I've never had a puncture on this car with non-RFT's on it. It's significantly smaller and lighter than a bottle jack too.

Cheapskate Mike
Mike - Does it look like any of these ?? (Seen this on ebay)

A)
Anyone used a bottle jack to lift their E60-2a6c_1.jpg

Anyone used a bottle jack to lift their E60-f3d3_1.jpg

C)
Anyone used a bottle jack to lift their E60-d718_1.jpg

Quick Reply: Anyone used a bottle jack to lift their E60