E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

anyone retrofitted a auto dimming rearmirror?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 and F10

hello

does anyone have retrofitted an automatic dimming rearmirror, so not the sidemirrors but the mirror inside the car to look behind.

how much is is it for the mirror at BMW at is it difficult to install (self or at the dealer)

thx and greetz
Old 04-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Retrofit is not a problem. It's a 10 min. job. Don't know the price but you can get mirrors with garagedoor openers or a compass aftermarket at your dealer wich have the dimming feature...
Old 04-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

Originally Posted by M3 SMGII' date='Apr 21 2005, 06:45 AM
hello

does anyone have retrofitted an automatic dimming rearmirror, so not the sidemirrors but the mirror inside the car to look behind.

how much is is it for the mirror at BMW at is it difficult to install (self or at the dealer)

thx and greetz
[snapback]117936[/snapback]

my experience of several cars with both in- and outside automatic dimming mirrors is that I do like them inside but not outside. reason is very simple as it is very difficult to see an determine any policecar (contour) driving in the rear.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by M3 SMGII' date='Apr 21 2005, 12:45 AM
hello

thx and greetz
If you are only concerned about the auto dimming feature and not the homelink, I would suggest tinting your windows instead which would provide you with the same net result as auto dimming mirror plus the nice look of tinted windows.

Note: If you have tinted windows, the auto dimming feature does not work.
If you also want the homelink then of course you have to retro.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by mhoutman' date='Apr 21 2005, 01:07 AM
reason is very simple as it is very difficult to see an determine any policecar (contour) driving in the rear.
[snapback]117952[/snapback]

I had that trouble too but I found a solution. I never drive more then 15 km/h over the speedlimit.. So no need to be scared for our friendly highway patrol..
Old 04-21-2005, 04:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Originally Posted by M3 SMGII' date='Apr 21 2005, 05:45 AM
hello

thx and greetz
It's in the accessories brochure for ?200 (approx 295 Euro), with digital compass; or ?250 (approx 367 Euro) with universal remote control.

Fitting - don't know how much.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:24 AM
Members

I had the autodimming interior mirror with garage door opener retrofitted. My car had the standard non-dimming mirror initially.
It is not just a matter of swapping the mirrors over (which is dead easy) but there is a wiring loom that is needed to power the autodimming function and opener.
It is a very simple loom with only 3 wires but it connects down in the footwell trim (not sure which side - probably depends on left or right hand drive).
My dealer did this for an initial quote of 1 hours labour and this is all they charged me even though it took them nearly 3 hours!!! Apparently the instructions on their TIS were only for an E39 as it is the same mirror but the wiring was different when they dismantled everything!!
Still a worthwile mod though.
Hope this helps
Old 04-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 and F10

Originally Posted by db545' date='Apr 21 2005, 03:24 PM
I had the autodimming interior mirror with garage door opener retrofitted. My car had the standard non-dimming mirror initially.
It is not just a matter of swapping the mirrors over (which is dead easy) but there is a wiring loom that is needed to power the autodimming function and opener.
It is a very simple loom with only 3 wires but it connects down in the footwell trim (not sure which side - probably depends on left or right hand drive).
My dealer did this for an initial quote of 1 hours labour and this is all they charged me even though it took them nearly 3 hours!!! Apparently the instructions on their TIS were only for an E39 as it is the same mirror but the wiring was different when they dismantled everything!!
Still a worthwile mod though.
Hope this helps
[snapback]118043[/snapback]
yes thank you

and could you also tell me how much it was in pounds or euros
thx
Old 04-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Members

Mirror was about ?250, Fitting about ?80
Old 04-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by db545' date='Apr 21 2005, 09:42 AM
Mirror was about ?250, Fitting about ?80
[snapback]118069[/snapback]
After reading you post, I shall keep squinting or drive during the day!

Quick Reply: anyone retrofitted a auto dimming rearmirror?