E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone replaced an AC compressor bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Manual
Default Anyone replaced an AC compressor bearing?

I'm stumped. I've got a rattle at low RPMs that occurs all the time no matter what the engine temp is. I've got a manual so it's whenever I let out the clutch. It goes away when I turn on the AC or remove the AC belt so I've narrowed it down to the AC compressor. I can duplicate the sound by tapping on the pulley and there is some play between the pulley and the inner plate.

Net, net I'm thinking its the pulley bearing. As anyone ever replaced? Has anyone ever taken a compressor apart? I can't get the pulley off. I loosened the bolt (reverse thread) and it just gets tight again after disappearing in the pulley. I know it's clutch less so is the bearing even replaceable?

Would like to try and replace the bearing before resorting to replacing the entire compressor.

I appreciate any thoughts.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Manual

Update: I got the pulley off! There is about a 3" diameter metal ring holding the center hub in. Pry it out with a screw driver and then unscrew the center hub. Then pull the c-clip off the center shaft and remove the pulley. I needed an AC compressor pulley puller (rent at your local Autozone) to get the pulley off the shaft but it didn't require a lot of work.

Side note the 7mm bolt in the center of the hub/pulley is really the compressor shaft. So the reason it seamed like a reverse thread in because when I loosened it I was actually loosening the pulley. The pulley is just threaded on the shaft.

Now it is time to figure out what I need to repair. Hopefully it is just the bearing that needs replacement but it could be the pulley/hub as well. The rattle may be coming from the center hub vibrating against the pulley. There are 5-6 little rubber pieces between the hub and pulley that may be worn down allowing the hub to rattle against the pulley.

I'll post more as I learn more. If I need a pulley finding it may prove difficult.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

See if there is an auto electrical rebuild shop in your area. They do rebuilds of alternators and similar auto parts rebuilds. Those shops usually will have all kinds of bearings. They may be able to rebuild it for you or find appropriate parts for you.