E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone replace these rubber trims?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone replace any of these rubber window trims before on there E60 because mine are starting to crack.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock for now

Mine are looking pretty bad too. I tried to order the rear one on line and they wanted to charge me $55 (because they said it came in a 4' wide box) just to ship it so watch out where you get it from. I called the dealer and they wanted $66.00 for the rear one and it was in stock but I still have not picked it up yet. On line they range from $39 and up plus shipping. Looks pretty easy to install with a plastic spatula for the rear one. You may have to use a little soapy water to get it to slide into place.

Here is a link to an on-line store that wants $39 plus $18 to ship to northern ca. You may want to call them first to make sure on the shipping cost.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E60-545...nt_Glass_Seal/
Old 08-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Starting to crack?

lucky you.

Every e60 I saw when I was looking for a car had the problem. The dealer said that the glass must be removed to replace but I read a diy somewhere while researching and found you can dig yours out and install the new piece.

$50?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: Stock for now

I knew I read this somewhere here when I was looking. This should answer all your questions on how to replace the seals.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/818..._1#entry950946
Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JD94534
Mine are looking pretty bad too. I tried to order the rear one on line and they wanted to charge me $55 (because they said it came in a 4' wide box) just to ship it so watch out where you get it from. I called the dealer and they wanted $66.00 for the rear one and it was in stock but I still have not picked it up yet. On line they range from $39 and up plus shipping. Looks pretty easy to install with a plastic spatula for the rear one. You may have to use a little soapy water to get it to slide into place.

Here is a link to an on-line store that wants $39 plus $18 to ship to northern ca. You may want to call them first to make sure on the shipping cost.

Did you try Garry of newport BMW that might get a better deal.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Members

I recently changed the rear glass seal on my car. It was not very difficult to do but the old seal had become so dried and cracked that it turned into a million bits that were a real pain to clean up. I made the mistake of stepping on a pile of them and they basically turned into TAR on the soles of my shoes. Be very careful with the glass as it can break very easy. I watched the glass shop replace my front windshield and it cracked just about the second they put leverage on it to remove the top seal. Around the rear glass, I used a wooden golf tee and some plastic edge tools I had for window tinting instead of a metal screw driver that might "shock" the glass and chip it.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

yes i did, mine was damaged in a minor offside collison with a tree and screen cracked and new rubber plus strpped for respray
Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned

Probably too late now but when you replace use gummie phledge found at bavauto.com-used to be carried by BMW OEM as a product to condition the rubber seals, especially around the doors and windows and back/front glass windows. It keep the rubber fresh, black and soft as new. You can also use it on all the engine hoses to keep them moist and not dry/cracking.

I use it 4 times a year and after 4 years, a lot of that in 120 degrees arizona weather the rubber and seals are all like new. Gummie phledge is not a name brand but means rubber conditioner or something but u can find it at bavauto.com
Old 08-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

I also ordered mine from ECS and it took me about 30mins to replace it.

Originally Posted by JD94534

Old 08-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Members

I recently replaced mine myself after speaking with an auto glass installer who also said the glass would have to be removed to replace the rubber trim. One day I got tired of looking at the hideousness and took the old ones out. I had already ordered new ones so I put them in. No glass removal necessary.

Quick Reply: Anyone replace these rubber trims?