E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone regret getting alpine white 5 series

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first option color was white but could not find one on the dealer's lot with the options I wanted so I got my second color Silver Grey. I like white out here in the desert it can look clean for two weeks because we dont have mud or rain to screw up the color. Silver is the second easiest color then silver grey to maintain.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='235413' date='Feb 5 2006, 11:25 PM
No Regrets with White (had black cars for the last 10 years - this is my first white one).
Now this looks sharp. This is the first set of pics that I have seen with the modified bumpers on an Alpine White.

Back to the subject, I don't regret getting an Alpine White...quite to the contrary, E60s look their best in this color, IMO. I religiously hand wash the car every couple of weeks, rain, snow or shine. Also Rejex the baby every quarter.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

You just need to use some compound. It will get out any blemish on white, except for scratches that go down to the bare metal.

White is nearly indestructible. Of all the car colors, white is the most durable. It doesn't matter what you do to it, compound will fix anything. You can key a white car, and buff out the scratches in 2 seconds. Try that with black or blue sometime.

Another product you may want to try is detailing clay. Clay is excellent at removing tar and other bonded contaminants.

So.... here's what you do if you want your White to look 100% exactly like it did out of the showroom:

1. Wash & Dry the car.

2. Use detailing clay (pay special attention to the areas with tar spots)

3. Use a light or medium cut polishing compound (preferrably with an orbital polisher, and foam pad)
This will remove a fine layer of clear coat, a process called "cleaning the paint"

4. Wax (by hand) with a good quality, carnauba paste wax. Don't use the liquid types... paste in a can is best.

I prefer using real carnauba wax over the synthetic alternatives. Carnauba gives better results, but does not last as long. However, carnauba is very good at letting you know when to re-apply... since you can go by watching how the water beads on the paint. Over time, the beading will diminish... and you know it's time to wax again.

I promise you.... follow those steps, and you will be astonished at the results.

Oh.... and here is a pic of the M5 I drove at the BMW performance center. it was white, and looked wicked.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Members

As other have already stated, white is MUCH easier to keep clean than black or other dark colors.

I have an alpine white e60 and rarely wash it. Compared the nightmare of cleaning my previous car, a black 745Li, this one is a snap! No swirlies to worry about, and dust and dirt don't appear as obvious.

I remember when I used to think that white would be the hardest color to keep clean. Funny how in reality, the truth is so counter-intuitive.

btw- i love white e60s! starting to see more and more them around these days. appears to be getting popular.

Cheers!

MMAfia
Old 02-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='235413' date='Feb 5 2006, 08:25 PM
No Regrets with White (had black cars for the last 10 years - this is my first white one).
Your car is sweet!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with other members here that white color is very easy to maintain and it does not collect dust or swirl mark as easy as dark colored car. I had green car before it it quite pain to keep it shine. After washing the car, water spot can be easily seen on dark color car. Even with gray. Not with Alpine White.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='235647' date='Feb 6 2006, 11:06 AM
You just need to use some compound. It will get out any blemish on white, except for scratches that go down to the bare metal.

White is nearly indestructible. Of all the car colors, white is the most durable. It doesn't matter what you do to it, compound will fix anything. You can key a white car, and buff out the scratches in 2 seconds. Try that with black or blue sometime.

Another product you may want to try is detailing clay. Clay is excellent at removing tar and other bonded contaminants.

So.... here's what you do if you want your White to look 100% exactly like it did out of the showroom:

1. Wash & Dry the car.

2. Use detailing clay (pay special attention to the areas with tar spots)

3. Use a light or medium cut polishing compound (preferrably with an orbital polisher, and foam pad)
This will remove a fine layer of clear coat, a process called "cleaning the paint"

4. Wax (by hand) with a good quality, carnauba paste wax. Don't use the liquid types... paste in a can is best.

I prefer using real carnauba wax over the synthetic alternatives. Carnauba gives better results, but does not last as long. However, carnauba is very good at letting you know when to re-apply... since you can go by watching how the water beads on the paint. Over time, the beading will diminish... and you know it's time to wax again.

I promise you.... follow those steps, and you will be astonished at the results.

Oh.... and here is a pic of the M5 I drove at the BMW performance center. it was white, and looked wicked.

that white m5 is so nice!!!

btw, no regret on whites.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Members

Thanks everyone for inputs.

Will buy some clay and compound and try it next time.

I agree that alpine white looks more sporty and can hide dust and scratches, but when you get close, those small black dots are everywhere!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Just a note.....

Compound is an abrasive. It works by removing a layer of clear coat. There are many different types of compound, and they vary by the degree of abrasiveness. Some compounds are very fine, others are coarse. The type you need depends on how deep the scratches/swirl marks are that you are trying to remove.

Since your car is new, you should start with a very light cut compound. I suggest something in the range of 2000 grit sandpaper. Try "Hi-Temp's - Light Power Cut Leveler"
It is a an excellent product (it's what I use on my TiGray E60). I use it 2 times per year.

You MUST follow with a wax.... since any wax protection will be removed by the compound.

Again.... I suggest a true carnauba paste wax. I use "Top of the Line's - Trade Secret"
It's an awesome wax, buffs out easily with little effort, and dries clear. (So you don't get white residue in the cracks everywhere)

I buy all my detailing supplies at www.topoftheline.com

They sell the Light Cut & Detailing Clay, too. There is also a bottle of detail clay lubricant they sell, which is a must for clay. (Since clay requires constant moisture to work properly)
Old 02-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

I saw a White E60 yesterday here in the UK in a car park, a 530d Sport with 19" rims, it really looked cool now Im wishing Id bought that colour instead of Mystic Blue. The Blue looks really good clean except even though its only six weeks old it shows up slight swirls on the paintwork. One way to minimise getting swirls Ive learnt is NEVER use a leather to dry off the paintwork after washing. Use old bathroom towels and make sure you glide over the paintwork do not push hard & always start with them slightly damp.

Ive had two cars in the past white and both were the easier cars to keep clean, pity here in the UK white cars are frowned on.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret getting alpine white 5 series