E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone actually like the Navi in our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<bitching>

Maybe I am doing it wrong (oh man I wish) but I have not been a fan at all of our navigation system. My car has a very recent navi system in it, so I can't compare it to older ones but I'm not liking it much. I am wondering if others like theirs more or if I am missing something. A few things come to mind off the bat:

1) It frequently routes to places in an inefficient manner. For example.. the place is a straight shot down the highway 10 miles down on the right. I am on the highway and it knows it. It'll keep trying to get me to exit miles earlier and take other ways. Strange.

2) I don't know if it reads GPS signals slowly or what but it seems to have no f'ing clue where it is sometimes. It'll tell me to turn right in 500 feet when the exit/road it wants me to turn on is about 40 feet away (this happens a lot.. in wide open spaces). Also, sometimes it'll have me trying to turn in places that I can't (one-way.. derp derp).

3) The actual picture of the map doesn't seem that great and you have to zoom in really far to get names of some/most side roads. The colors don't stand out very well even when you change them around. The route vs standard road aren't drastically different .. looks weird.

4) You have to specifically select to move around the map from the side menu .. instead of that being the default. You can't just start moving the view/location without doing this. Not how most navigations I've dealt with operate... and not a fan.

5) POI .. seems to lack a ton of locations. Not sure where they are getting their list of places from but they'll have an newer Costco that's 75 miles away in the system and not an older one that's 5 miles away from me.

6) Entering in destinations is a bit of a hassle. I like the scrolling around with the iDrive interface but having to select the city all the time is annoying. Why can't it just take a street name and give recommendations?

7) Why the hell would I want split screen navigation on navigation? The screen isn't that big. I like split screen on for when I am on any other menu like the stereo/radio.. but that imo shouldn't affect the navigation screen itself. I don't need a split screen with two navigation showing up. I can't imagine that ever being useful or handy.. it's too small and to the right for that to be helpful in any way.

---

My wife's Acura TSX is from 2005. I feel its 6 year old navigation system is far superior to the one I have now. It's easier to find things, it's better at it, and it's accuracy and notes about when turns are coming up are great. It seems strange to me that 6 year old technology would perform so much better.

</bitching>

Am I just an annoying complainer here and everyone else loves their navi? I will sometimes use my phone over the car for a better read. It's my understanding we can send Google navigation routes to the system from our phone, but why the hell should I need to do that? What say you all?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Nope, never use the Nav... haha
Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Members

If it can't find the closest COSTCO then it is more to be desired of our Navigation. Split screen? :thumbsdown: Why would you want to see 2 of the same map? One bigger and the other is smaller. Jeez BMW, have Bill Gates Jr. come up with something we could use?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Just remember, it could be WORSE!

I'm working my ass off right now trying to upgrade my current MASK system to our sub-prime nav option.

Anything is better than this low res MASK system. Yuck.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

It's brutal. Period.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

yes i have noticed that it does send you weird ways at times but that's because it's sending you via a supposedly faster route.

also, if you turn on the arrow display instead of the usual map, it shows the street names much much better, imho.

if you don't prefer the split screen, why not turn it off then?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by donpb
yes i have noticed that it does send you weird ways at times but that's because it's sending you via a supposedly faster route.

also, if you turn on the arrow display instead of the usual map, it shows the street names much much better, imho.

if you don't prefer the split screen, why not turn it off then?
I think the problem is not that there are 2 of them, but that you can't use the entire screen to get a large map. It is truly annoying to have a big screen and only be ever able to use 2/3 of it for map display.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our navi sucks, my friends Acura TL navi is 10x better.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

I have never had a car with navi in it and im happy with it, it`s gotten me out of trouble no end of times.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Our navi sucks, my friends Acura TL navi is 10x better.
IYHO, what would make it unsuck?

Quick Reply: Anyone actually like the Navi in our cars?