E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any valve guide problem free higher mileage v8 e60s out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013 | 06:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 550i 6MT, M sport, Navigation, Space Grey

For those of you who do have the smoking problem. How often did you change your oil? In the beginning did you do the recommended BMW oil service changes and then switched to half the recommended interval, or have you always changed your oil at 7,500 miles, or do you all still just change the oil at 15,000 miles. I'm wondering if there is some relation to oil change intervals?

In the past I had a 2002 540i and never had the problem albeit it was a different engine, I changed the oil every 5,000 miles. With my 2010 550i 63,000 miles, I have been changing the oil every 7,000 to 7,500 miles and so far no issues. A little scared however because my indy but a new brand of oil not used in the U.S. before this last oil change. He says though his own tests and research this new brand of oil doesn't break down as fast. In fact he ran a BMW with this new oil and then did an oil change after 2,000 miles and it was not totally black like the oil BMW uses. It's a big gamble for me but we will see. I'm changing the oil at about 5,000 miles this time around.
Old 08-08-2013 | 06:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2003 540iA M Sport

I have 81k+on my 2005 545i and it has no smoking issues at all. I've owned the car since 78k miles and in that time it hasn't used any oil either. When I bought the car it had been given a fresh synthetic oil change by the dealer on the day I picked it up and I usually check the oil every 2-3 gas fill ups. It was right at the fill line on purchase and right now it's juuust a hair below.
Old 08-08-2013 | 06:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

If properly maintained and not "abused" you should not have to do a valve job until well past 100k or even close to 200k miles. The big question though for any pre-owned vehicle as we all know is whether it was properly treated and maintained by the previous owner. If you're looking at valve guide replacement at under 100k miles I suspect that one of the aforementioned is the reason.
Old 08-08-2013 | 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

140k+ miles, no smoke, and not losing oil. Oil change every 5 to 7k miles with Mobile One 0W-40 Euro formula or Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Euro formula plus Lucas oil.
Old 08-08-2013 | 11:19 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Rizbel
140k+ miles, no smoke, and not losing oil. Oil change every 5 to 7k miles with Mobile One 0W-40 Euro formula or Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Euro formula plus Lucas oil.
Same exact two oils I use! Whichever is on sale at pepboys / autozone. Just picked up 10 quarts of german castrol syntec 0w30 with two fram filters (which i throw on my beater) for 72bucks.

I dont trust oil additives, lot of Oil analysis advise against using them.. to be safe I just change my oil super early.

Glad to see a lot of you guys are running past 100k with no smoking issues..! I personally have seen a few sub 100k N62TU V8 motors smoke under 100k.. X5s, 750i, and 550i.

I change my oil every 4-5k though - Might be overkill but to me the cost of oil vs valve guides / seals are not even debatable.
Old 08-08-2013 | 11:39 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by UMDriver
For those of you who do have the smoking problem. How often did you change your oil? In the beginning did you do the recommended BMW oil service changes and then switched to half the recommended interval, or have you always changed your oil at 7,500 miles, or do you all still just change the oil at 15,000 miles. I'm wondering if there is some relation to oil change intervals?

In the past I had a 2002 540i and never had the problem albeit it was a different engine, I changed the oil every 5,000 miles. With my 2010 550i 63,000 miles, I have been changing the oil every 7,000 to 7,500 miles and so far no issues. A little scared however because my indy but a new brand of oil not used in the U.S. before this last oil change. He says though his own tests and research this new brand of oil doesn't break down as fast. In fact he ran a BMW with this new oil and then did an oil change after 2,000 miles and it was not totally black like the oil BMW uses. It's a big gamble for me but we will see. I'm changing the oil at about 5,000 miles this time around.
Becareful about what your mechanic is saying. Color of oil is not always indicative of quality of oil - in fact, you want your oil to be dark as that means it's picking up contaminants - I'd be unhappy with a clear oil after 5k of use. How does he know that this oil doesn't break down as fast? Is he sending the oil in? I wouldn't trust those mechanics. I don't know how many countless times I've been into autozone and asked for castrol 0w30 just to get into a 20 minute debate about how I shouldn't be using GC 0w30 because my car calls for 5w30. However, used oil analysis shows GC 0W30 is superior to Castrol 5w30, just like how Mobil 1 0W40 is superior to M1 5W30...

Just this last weekend I got into a debate because the pepboys employee kept insisting the API SN rating on Castrol 5w30 makes it better than the GC 0W30 rating with the API SL rating. Yes, SN is stricter than SL, however that doesn't ultimately conclude it is a better oil - you need to have an used oil analysis to have conclusive answers.

to each his own though...
Old 08-08-2013 | 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Up to 50k, I was using CBS guidelines - every 10-15k changes with 5w-30 M1. M1 came out with the extended formula (15k), so Ive been paying a lil extra and using it. Keeping to 7-10k changes though, irrespective of what the car says. I started smoking around 150k or so. Im at 201,500 miles now.
Old 08-08-2013 | 06:52 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Up to 50k, I was using CBS guidelines - every 10-15k changes with 5w-30 M1. M1 came out with the extended formula (15k), so Ive been paying a lil extra and using it. Keeping to 7-10k changes though, irrespective of what the car says. I started smoking around 150k or so. Im at 201,500 miles now.
201k!
Care to list what issues you had to take care of? I hope my car will last that long - I mean I know it can last that long, only matter of if I'll get sick of funding it to last that long
Old 08-09-2013 | 04:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by jameshuang86
201k!
Care to list what issues you had to take care of? I hope my car will last that long - I mean I know it can last that long, only matter of if I'll get sick of funding it to last that long
I don't think I have enough brain memory cells to remember lol. The fun ones are:

Blown MPM (nice thread on that one) - dealer caused
Valve stem seal leaks
Valve cover leaks
Oil quality sensor malfunctions
Catalytic converter failure
Water pump failure
Oil pressure switch leaks
Alternator failure
Control arm bushing failure
Transmission main seal leaks
Transmission pan leaks
E-box fan failure
Thermostat failure
Various hose leaks
Secondary Air system faults
Valley pan seal leaks (surprisingly, transfer pipe is good).
Timing chain cover gasket deterioration
Ongoing random engine temperature warnings (dealer stumped...and so am I. 3 years of false warnings, possible dme fault)
Wonderful peeling of interior parts (took it out. Now parts are glossy black instead of matte)
Transmission 2-1 shift error (reprogrammed years ago)
Airbag Warnings (explosive pill, seatbelt tensioner, and pillar bag below specs)
Faulty IBS (unfortunately didnt fix airbag issue. Cable resistance fine)

But....im still driving this damned thing and cant seem to rid myself of her.
Old 08-09-2013 | 02:21 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
I don't think I have enough brain memory cells to remember lol. The fun ones are:

Blown MPM (nice thread on that one) - dealer caused
Valve stem seal leaks
Valve cover leaks
Oil quality sensor malfunctions
Catalytic converter failure
Water pump failure
Oil pressure switch leaks
Alternator failure
Control arm bushing failure
Transmission main seal leaks
Transmission pan leaks
E-box fan failure
Thermostat failure
Various hose leaks
Secondary Air system faults
Valley pan seal leaks (surprisingly, transfer pipe is good).
Timing chain cover gasket deterioration
Ongoing random engine temperature warnings (dealer stumped...and so am I. 3 years of false warnings, possible dme fault)
Wonderful peeling of interior parts (took it out. Now parts are glossy black instead of matte)
Transmission 2-1 shift error (reprogrammed years ago)
Airbag Warnings (explosive pill, seatbelt tensioner, and pillar bag below specs)
Faulty IBS (unfortunately didnt fix airbag issue. Cable resistance fine)

But....im still driving this damned thing and cant seem to rid myself of her.
I applaud you for your patience and bank account.

Quick Reply: Any valve guide problem free higher mileage v8 e60s out there?