E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any more thoughts on the steering clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I am taking my car in for a laundy list of stuff monday and going to try replicate this steerin clunk heard at low speeds when turning the wheel lock to lock or turning the wheel quite a bit. High speed nothing. Standing still-nothing.

I dont know despite trying to read about the intricies of rack and pinion steering what would be causing this and with the parameter of it only happening at very precise timse I would have to think that tells you what is wrong-if you were an expert, which sadly bmw mechs often suck.

So if anyone can put their thinking cap to figure out what is special about low speeds while turning.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Dinan 545i

Sounds similar to my issue before - the control arms had to be tightened.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 E60 520iA.Bilstein B12 who lowers 35-25mm.M-tech full body kit.M6 replikka 19*8,5 and 9,5.Michelin sport tiers 245 and 275.Vr6+LCI ligths.M5 facelift steering wheel with heating.New full paint.M5 mirrors.

Originally Posted by olskooldj' post='992657' date='Aug 29 2009, 08:57 PM
Sounds similar to my issue before - the control arms had to be tightened.
Can you please explane ?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='992594' date='Aug 29 2009, 06:26 PM
So I am taking my car in for a laundy list of stuff monday and going to try replicate this steerin clunk heard at low speeds when turning the wheel lock to lock or turning the wheel quite a bit. High speed nothing. Standing still-nothing.

I dont know despite trying to read about the intricies of rack and pinion steering what would be causing this and with the parameter of it only happening at very precise timse I would have to think that tells you what is wrong-if you were an expert, which sadly bmw mechs often suck.

So if anyone can put their thinking cap to figure out what is special about low speeds while turning.
I had a problem that felt like it only happened when turning left, mostly at lower speeds, and particularly when both decelerating and turning left. I have active steering on my car, and figured there was something wrong with the AS gearbox or something.

They ended up swapping my steering shaft out, and it turned out not to be an issue with the AS mechanics. Once you can get the SA to feel it, they should take care of it, as the steering should NOT have a clunk in it.

The one thing about slower speeds is that you are more likely to turn the wheels at more of an angle. At higher speeds you're usually barely moving the wheel. It's very possible there's an issue with the steering rack well off center, or perhaps there's something going on like I had.

It's also possible that it's a suspension issue of course, with front end parts shifting around at higher steering angles like the earlier post.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jm545i' post='992929' date='Aug 30 2009, 06:37 AM
I had a problem that felt like it only happened when turning left, mostly at lower speeds, and particularly when both decelerating and turning left. I have active steering on my car, and figured there was something wrong with the AS gearbox or something.

They ended up swapping my steering shaft out, and it turned out not to be an issue with the AS mechanics. Once you can get the SA to feel it, they should take care of it, as the steering should NOT have a clunk in it.

The one thing about slower speeds is that you are more likely to turn the wheels at more of an angle. At higher speeds you're usually barely moving the wheel. It's very possible there's an issue with the steering rack well off center, or perhaps there's something going on like I had.

It's also possible that it's a suspension issue of course, with front end parts shifting around at higher steering angles like the earlier post.
Ok I am a smart guy, have an MD degree, and usually am a problem solver-but DUHHHHHHH. What a ridiculous question for me to ask "what is the difference between high and low speed wheel turning" hahaha I am dumb so dumb-thanks for stating what should have been the obvious!

Problem mine is not obvious.

I had my steering column replaced last year for it not movin up down/tilting etc-so maybe they replaced it improperly. its so not reproducable
Old 08-30-2009, 05:33 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Have them also check the ball joint on the steering linkage & the lower control arm.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Originally Posted by budda' post='992899' date='Aug 30 2009, 12:42 AM
Can you please explane ?
Nothing really to explain. I had a 'clunking' sound whenever I turned left or right at slow speeds, or turned into a parking stall, sometimes even just accelerating, it made the clunking sound. Brought it to the dealer, they test-drove it with me to reproduce the sound and they determined the control arms were loose.
After tightening (almost a year ago) I've not had the sound return - not saying it's the same issue as yours, but it's a starting point...

BTW, it cost about $200.00 to fix at SC BMW.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by olskooldj' post='993295' date='Aug 30 2009, 06:51 PM
Nothing really to explain. I had a 'clunking' sound whenever I turned left or right at slow speeds, or turned into a parking stall, sometimes even just accelerating, it made the clunking sound. Brought it to the dealer, they test-drove it with me to reproduce the sound and they determined the control arms were loose.
After tightening (almost a year ago) I've not had the sound return - not saying it's the same issue as yours, but it's a starting point...

BTW, it cost about $200.00 to fix at SC BMW.
it could be your upper strut mounts....like previously stated when driving at lower speeds your are more likely to turn in a greater radias....when turning hard left it transfers your vehicles body weight to the right....if the upper strut mount is starting to wear then when the vehicle's body weight is transfered over to that side it will make a clunking noise...this goes the same towards the other side....get your suspension checked..it could also be a loose ball joint or front end component....most likely it could be the upper strut mounts...in this case you will have to replace both the strut alone and the mount/bearing located on the top of the strut assembly....if you have factory suspension... then your struts and mounts should be replaced every 80,000 kms... hopefully this helps you...
Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

I had the clunk for 2 years.. The dealer disregarded it after multiple complaints.. finally they flushed the steering system and I don't really know what else but it fixed it.