E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any experiences of Smart repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)
Question

I tell you something - never rely on you parking sensors to save your bumpers ! I justed reversed quckly out of a spot and hit a small concrete post. The PDC went of just as I hit the post !!! Really not happy but completelt my fault

Damage is not too bad - the bumper is scuffed but not seriously damaged & paint is broken. Nethertheless the damage is obvious and my heart is broken

So, my friends - I now have the dillema. Do I try to use one of these new Smart Repair guys to fix it up or do I get a professional paint shop to do the work ?

Has anyone experience of guys like ChipsAway or Clean-Image ? I have used ChipsAway before for dent-removal and they were excellent but paintwork is another story.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

one tip: back up slowly in the future. PDC needs to take some time before they can detect an object...take care
Old 07-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Jul 2 2005, 03:34 PM
I tell you something - never rely on you parking sensors to save your bumpers ! I justed reversed quckly out of a spot and hit a small concrete post. The PDC went of just as I hit the post !!!? Really not happy but completelt my fault?

Damage is not too bad - the bumper is scuffed but not seriously damaged &? paint is broken. Nethertheless the damage is obvious and my heart is broken

So, my friends - I now have the dillema. Do I try to use one of these new Smart Repair guys to fix it up or do I get a professional paint shop to do the work ?

Has anyone experience of guys like ChipsAway or Clean-Image ? I have used ChipsAway before for dent-removal and they were excellent but paintwork is another story.
[snapback]145313[/snapback]
I opened my boot lid with the key and it hit a low concrete roof leaving deep grooves down to the metal. Then I badly kerbed a wheel - all in the same week!

I was gutted to say the least. Called a guy who works on your drive from a van and he airbrushed both items and believe me you would never tell! The repairs are superb. He only charged me ?55. He said silver and silver grey are really hard colours to match but he did it.

So don't worry just call your local independent mobile repair guy. I'm sure if I'd taken it to my dealer he would have used the same technique or used a similar outside painter.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Jul 2 2005, 10:58 PM
[quote name='marty530d' date='Jul 2 2005, 03:34 PM']I tell you something - never rely on you parking sensors to save your bumpers ! I justed reversed quckly out of a spot and hit a small concrete post. The PDC went of just as I hit the post !!!? Really not happy but completelt my fault?

Damage is not too bad - the bumper is scuffed but not seriously damaged &? paint is broken. Nethertheless the damage is obvious and my heart is broken

I opened my boot lid with the key and it hit a low concrete roof leaving deep grooves down to the metal. Then I badly kerbed a wheel - all in the same week!

I was gutted to say the least. Called a guy who works on your drive from a van and he airbrushed both items and believe me you would never tell! The repairs are superb. He only charged me ?55. He said silver and silver grey are really hard colours to match but he did it.

So don't worry just call your local independent mobile repair guy. I'm sure if I'd taken it to my dealer he would have used the same technique or used a similar outside painter.
[snapback]145379[/snapback]
[/quote]

Merv - THANKS. Did you use any particular company or was it local ?

I also have an alloy to polish, a scratch caused by my daughter and two minor parking dings to get sorted.

Repeat 100000 times - I MUST TAKE MORE CARE OF MY CAR
Old 07-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Jul 2 2005, 06:08 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Jul 2 2005, 10:58 PM'][quote name='marty530d' date='Jul 2 2005, 03:34 PM']I tell you something - never rely on you parking sensors to save your bumpers ! I justed reversed quckly out of a spot and hit a small concrete post. The PDC went of just as I hit the post !!!? Really not happy but completelt my fault?

[snapback]145379[/snapback]
[/quote]

Merv - THANKS. Did you use any particular company or was it local ?

I also have an alloy to polish, a scratch caused by my daughter and two minor parking dings to get sorted.

Repeat 100000 times - I MUST TAKE MORE CARE OF MY CAR
[snapback]145385[/snapback]
[/quote]

The guys company was called PaintTech. He's based in Birmingham. I don't think its a franchise like Chipsaway. I have used Chipsaway before and thought they were quite good but would have to say I don't think the finish is perfect. The only way to fix it properly is to paint the car so I'm told.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ooo ouch!... Do you have the M-Tech kit? Time to get it if not...
Old 07-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jul 3 2005, 01:22 AM
Ooo ouch!... Do you have the M-Tech kit? Time to get it if not...
[snapback]145411[/snapback]
No i dont have it - but my current thinking is that if I need a new bumper then I will take the hit and get the whole Mtech kit.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Jul 3 2005, 09:53 AM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Jul 3 2005, 01:22 AM']Ooo ouch!... Do you have the M-Tech kit? Time to get it if not...
[snapback]145411[/snapback]
No i dont have it - but my current thinking is that if I need a new bumper then I will take the hit and get the whole Mtech kit.
[snapback]145452[/snapback]
[/quote]

At least it was only the bumper.

Excellent excuse to get MSports bumpers now & you will have a new car again!!
Old 07-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

I put a 15cm long gouge in the sill extension on my 535d Sport; it was pretty deep, at least .5 mm, and about 3mm wide.

Called my local ChipsAway, who repaired it and painted it - 100% , I can't see the repair.

I also had a small scuff on one of the alloys, he did that as well!! also 100%

Its a franchise operation, so you should have a local guy.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cerbera' date='Jul 3 2005, 10:07 AM
I put a 15cm long gouge in the sill extension on my 535d Sport; it was pretty deep, at least .5 mm, and about 3mm wide.

Called my local ChipsAway, who repaired it and painted it - 100% , I can't see the repair.

I also had a small scuff on one of the alloys, he did that as well!! also 100%

Its a franchise operation, so you should have a local guy.
[snapback]145472[/snapback]

Many, Many Thanks.. Chips Away do have a local operator. I'll get them to take a look this week.

If they shag it up then I'll bit the bullet and replace the lot with the M-Kit.

Quick Reply: Any experiences of Smart repairs