E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

another transmission slam topic - 38.1 SW update

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

Hi all,

I just got my '08 528i 6speed automatic out of service for many things, one of which was the NIC(neutral idle control) and transmission "slam" issue. I know this topic has been discussed at length, but I just wanted to give everyone a few notes from what I am noticing since getting the car back. The car's software was updated to 38.1, which was supposed to remedy the transmission issue per the October '09 version of service bulletin 24 03 08. I can't find any info. on the net regarding the 38.1 update, but I don't notice anything else different operation/usage-wise on the car, except for the transmission. In manual mode, it shifts unbelievably crisp - far more crisp/smooth than it did before. In auto. mode, the car shifts very well, and smooth, but it seems to be much slower overall to me. What I mean is, the shifts are at much lower RPMs, and overall the car feels just a tad bit slower. In fact, I quote from the tech. at BMW of Dallas: "If customer wants to drive more spiritually(I think he meant spiritedly), customer should use DS mode." But, overall I am pleased at the transmission feel. If only they hadn't forgotten to fix the door seals and really bad rattle, which was also needed. Oh well, at least due to "bad geometry" on the brakes, I got all new pads and sensors all around.

-Brad Cook
Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Actually it was ISTA/P 2.35.1 which first appeared with that fix for E6x models so anything after that also includes that fix hence 2.38.1 also fixes that issue. It completely removes the NIC function.

Thanks for confirming.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2008

I also just received the new update and my initial thoughts are the same as yours. I'll give it a couple more weeks to see how the ECU adjusts and then report back.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Members

I just got back from a 1,000+ mile trip(some mountain driving), and the car drove BEAUTIFULLY! Specifically, the transmission was so smooth, and shifted very well. In the mountains there was a little hunting for gears, which is to be expected for an automatic driving up and down steep inclines. So, I just clicked it over into manual shift mode, and everything was great! It was actually fun to be able to manually shift when needed, as opposed to driving in the city when manual mode is kinda tedious. Big bonus: close to 30MPG, and that is accurate! Now, if they could just fix my stinky AC(been ultrasonic and ozone cleaned), and squeaky door seals! But to tell you the truth, as I was driving through such beautiful terrain, I never noticed a squeak, creak, or rattle!
another transmission slam topic - 38.1 SW update-sawtooth-bmw1.jpg
Old 07-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get some gummi phledge online at bavauto.com and treat your door seals with this-it fixes the squeaks from that issue. It softens and lubricates them
Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rbcook
Hi all,

I just got my '08 528i 6speed automatic out of service for many things, one of which was the NIC(neutral idle control) and transmission "slam" issue. I know this topic has been discussed at length, but I just wanted to give everyone a few notes from what I am noticing since getting the car back. The car's software was updated to 38.1, which was supposed to remedy the transmission issue per the October '09 version of service bulletin 24 03 08. I can't find any info. on the net regarding the 38.1 update, but I don't notice anything else different operation/usage-wise on the car, except for the transmission. In manual mode, it shifts unbelievably crisp - far more crisp/smooth than it did before. In auto. mode, the car shifts very well, and smooth, but it seems to be much slower overall to me. What I mean is, the shifts are at much lower RPMs, and overall the car feels just a tad bit slower. In fact, I quote from the tech. at BMW of Dallas: "If customer wants to drive more spiritually(I think he meant spiritedly), customer should use DS mode." But, overall I am pleased at the transmission feel. If only they hadn't forgotten to fix the door seals and really bad rattle, which was also needed. Oh well, at least due to "bad geometry" on the brakes, I got all new pads and sensors all around.

-Brad Cook
Brad,

I just got my 2006 525i a month ago and I have noticed this slam as well. What did the dealer charge for the software upgrade?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Members

My car is still under warranty, so I didn't pay anything. To be honest, I think it is a major software update/flash to the car's memory. Call around to your local dealers, or some other independent shops to get an estimate on the time. The thing is, I know that labor rates at the BMW dealerships here in Dallas are $100+ per hour. But, even though the actual software upgrade may take several hours, they shouldn't charge you all of that in labor rates, because the car is basically just sitting there hooked to a computer. For whatever its worth, the transmission shifts so nicely now. Hope you get it fixed soon!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by rbcook
My car is still under warranty, so I didn't pay anything. To be honest, I think it is a major software update/flash to the car's memory. Call around to your local dealers, or some other independent shops to get an estimate on the time. The thing is, I know that labor rates at the BMW dealerships here in Dallas are $100+ per hour. But, even though the actual software upgrade may take several hours, they shouldn't charge you all of that in labor rates, because the car is basically just sitting there hooked to a computer. For whatever its worth, the transmission shifts so nicely now. Hope you get it fixed soon!
Mine goes in Monday for the third try at this transmission slam issue. Maybe the third time is the charm.