E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

another software bug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Does the max ac turn off automaticly at a certin temp or should it stay on until you turn it off. since 17.1 mine when i turn it on will stay on for a min or two and then go off to regular ac. Then if i reset it it will stay on for a little longer then switch itself off again until the point that it will not engage at all before the update i dont remember this happening max ac would stay on as long as i wanted it to?
Old 07-10-2005, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

No answers? I guess ill have to reley on the dealers lame excuse that it is suppose to work like that answer.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've never had that problem but I don't use Max AC much at all. I'm guessing that it should stay on Max until you switch it off. (I just checked the manual and it says nothing about it automatically going off.)
Old 07-10-2005, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I never tried it, but I bet the BMW engineers programed it this way, so you don't catch a cold... I dunno...
Old 07-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

I used Max AC yesterday for a long period of time and it stayed on. I had to manually switch it off - after 30 mins.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Here in tropical singapore where it gets pretty darn hot at midday - i usually use the max aircon when driving off after parking out in the sun - the setting stays on until i turn it off.

i believe i've got 16.2
Old 07-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

During the summers here, it gets hot enough that I use max air a lot. I have 17.0, and max air stays on until I turn the ignition off. Then, when I restart the car, max air is no longer engaged. I don't buy the explanation that it's "normal" for the max air to go off at some point automatically. Max air is intended to over ride the auto air settings for just that reason....so you can have the most amount of cool air coming in to the cabin. Interesting, though, that you are having trouble with it and no one else seems to? Take it back to dealer, and tell them it's NOT normal.....and you know this for a fact because you read it on E60.net!!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

My brand new 545i stays on Max air until I turn it off.

Keep in mind that all Max air does is turn the fan to high and set the recirculate to inside cycling (no outside air is drawn in). So it's actually counterproductive to use Max air when you first get into a hot car that has been parked in the sun since the inside air is hotter than the outside air. Wait 1 minute or so until the inside air is cooler and then hit max air in that case.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

Thanks guys i did not think i was crazy i do remember it staying on till i said damn it cold in here. Just out of coinsadence today its about 90 so i used it but this time i turned it down from the full max fan speed and it did not shut off. I went into home depot for about 30 min and had to switch it back on.. as it was off when i came back (like it is supposed to do) I then went into the auto parts store 2 to 5 min and came back started the car and the max ac came back on when i started the car ( i think it is supposed to do this) i did not try the full fan position today as it got so cold in the car i had to open the windows, defenatley got to be software thanks again guys.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Not sure what CIP version I've got. It's a July '04 build and I've yet to have it updated, but here's how mine works:

I usually drive with the fan on just to keep air circulating. Sometimes at speed 1 or speed 2.
When I hit "MAX" the A/C kicks in and brings the fan speed to the highest setting. This will stay on until I manually press "MAX" again to shut it off.
However, the fan speed will come back down to where I had it last (either speed 1 or 2) but keeps the A/C on.

This is very convenient because I typically use MAX to get the cockpit cooled quickly then bring the fan speed down once it's cool enough inside but still have the A/C on to maintain that cooler temperature.

Quick Reply: another software bug?