E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another problem added to the list..

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, that sucks what you're going through. These car are notorious for being extremely expensive when anything breaks out of warranty. $6,600 is way too much, take your car to a reputable indy. I have the contact information to a indy shop not to far BMW of Manhattan if that's where your car is. The guy used to be a Tech at BMW of Manhattan, but decided to open his own shop. PM me if you want the contact information.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

I was going to send you an PM, but I'm using my Blackberry and for some reason don't see any option to PM.
Please send me his contact info as soon as you can. This service advisor was presuring me to accept it telling me that there only two places in US and he needs to order parts asap. I asked him to change the SMG relay and he kind got upset. I can't believe he thought I would say yeah ok do it for $6600 right of the bet.
Anyway, thank you

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
OP, that sucks what you're going through. These car are notorious for being extremely expensive when anything breaks out of warranty. $6,600 is way too much, take your car to a reputable indy. I have the contact information to a indy shop not to far BMW of Manhattan if that's where your car is. The guy used to be a Tech at BMW of Manhattan, but decided to open his own shop. PM me if you want the contact information.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Members

This really suck, reminded me of my own SMG experience when I had my e46 m3. Transmission was making LOUD ticking noise so I took it to the dealer, SA said they would have to take apart the transmission to find out the problem. Got a call from the SA couple days later and told me the master cylinder got was jam/damage and clutch was wearing unevenly and it would cost $3000 to fix. I said that too much and give me back my car, he said if I choose not to do the repair I would still have to pay for about $1500 labor hours!!!!! I have no choice but to get it fixed at the stealer...Hated that SA, never went to him again. I call some indy shop and they quote me about $1300 for the exact same job..

Lesson Learn: never take your out of warranty cars to dealer
Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tnycman
I was going to send you an PM, but I'm using my Blackberry and for some reason don't see any option to PM.
Please send me his contact info as soon as you can. This service advisor was presuring me to accept it telling me that there only two places in US and he needs to order parts asap. I asked him to change the SMG relay and he kind got upset. I can't believe he thought I would say yeah ok do it for $6600 right of the bet.
Anyway, thank you
PM sent, check your inbox.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

We at Motorcepts can also fix your SMG clutch. We have done countless SMG clutches on 545i, 550i, and M's.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Members
Senior Members

I spoke to him yesterday.. Thanks a lot..

In the mean time I asked the dealer to replace the SMG relay..

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
PM sent, check your inbox.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i

I think I'm getting fed up with the BMW, it could just be my luck, but every 2 months something breaks down..

07 550i sport 82k SMG transmission!

Finally, I got the car towed to the dealer Manhattan and the guy there basically told me that i'm fk'ed. He told me that whatever they find out it wont be an easy fix and will cost lots of $$$ to get it fixed.. They wont be able to see the car 'till Monday and they wont have a loaner either. Great !!!
It sucks!
No loaner?? Isn't bmw a luxury brand?? I already said that and will say again - f..k bmw!
I actually drove same kind of car from Carmax - thankfully I didn't like it - smg is neither good manual nor auto, kinda worst of both. No wonder bmw so quickly discontinued it on 5 series.
$6600 is a complete ripoff - normally expected from a bmw stealer. The smg clutch is just a regular clutch from a manual tranny, should be around $800 to replace including labor.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

When i do the service in Jersey, I always get a loaned even for just oil change, but again i do schedule ahead of time, in this case my car was towed to the dealer, and I was told there a 3 weeks wait time..

$800?? The pump cost a lot more than that, plus the clutch .

Its funny the service adviser just called me again, telling me that the car is drivable again, but it saying the pump is losing pressure, so I might get stuck again.. He keep reassuring me that they're NOT trying to rip me off, eventhough it seems otherwise. I'm still insisting to have the SMG relay replaced..

My first car was a manual and drove manuals for years. SMG could be costly to fix but it is OK isn't to bad to drive it..
BMW are good cars and fun to drive don't say that.

Originally Posted by hooch999
No loaner?? Isn't bmw a luxury brand?? I already said that and will say again - f..k bmw!
I actually drove same kind of car from Carmax - thankfully I didn't like it - smg is neither good manual nor auto, kinda worst of both. No wonder bmw so quickly discontinued it on 5 series.
$6600 is a complete ripoff - normally expected from a bmw stealer. The smg clutch is just a regular clutch from a manual tranny, should be around $800 to replace including labor.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

I think I'm getting fed up with the BMW, it could just be my luck, but every 2 months something breaks down..

07 550i sport 82k SMG transmission!

Today while driving to work the gear jumped to N on a stop and go traffic, i was able to quick get it back on the gears and continue, this has happen once before over 6 months ago, and never happened again.. So as soon as i got into the city the gear went in neutral again and I got stuck there. With my bad luck it was one lane street and i was right on the front exit of a firehouse Thanks to these great guys at FDNY they helped me push the car to the side.
I couldn't start the car eventhough the stick was on N, but on the electronic console was showing the 1st gear.. After the car was off for 10 mins. or so it seemed to come back, but then it worked for like few minutes and the same thing happen.. I was getting " Transmitting failure only gear 1,2,3 and reverse working" or something similar didn't have the nerves to write it down..

Finally, I got the car towed to the dealer Manhattan and the guy there basically told me that i'm fk'ed. He told me that whatever they find out it wont be an easy fix and will cost lots of $$$ to get it fixed.. They wont be able to see the car 'till Monday and they wont have a loaner either. Great !!!
After owning this car for less than a year and paying about $4k or more in repairs so far I think i made a bad bad decision getting a used BMW without the warranty, not ever sure If i want to keep up with this BS anymore. I'm afraid this would become the car from hell..

Other than this I love everything this car has to offer, driving it is a pleasure, I never get enough of it, but can't keep putting crazy money on repairs either.

Right now I'm at the mercy of the dealer, and hopping that isn't nothing major. It sucks!
SMG sucks.. too problematic. Trade it in for a manual or atleast a newer dual clutch SMG
Old 08-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yes I would have to.. I was planing on saving some more $$ and getting an M by next year, but if always goes as you plan life gets boring, so change of plans for me..

Originally Posted by skeematics
SMG sucks.. too problematic. Trade it in for a manual or atleast a newer dual clutch SMG

Quick Reply: Another problem added to the list..