E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another problem added to the list..

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm getting fed up with the BMW, it could just be my luck, but every 2 months something breaks down..

07 550i sport 82k SMG transmission!

Today while driving to work the gear jumped to N on a stop and go traffic, i was able to quick get it back on the gears and continue, this has happen once before over 6 months ago, and never happened again.. So as soon as i got into the city the gear went in neutral again and I got stuck there. With my bad luck it was one lane street and i was right on the front exit of a firehouse Thanks to these great guys at FDNY they helped me push the car to the side.
I couldn't start the car eventhough the stick was on N, but on the electronic console was showing the 1st gear.. After the car was off for 10 mins. or so it seemed to come back, but then it worked for like few minutes and the same thing happen.. I was getting " Transmitting failure only gear 1,2,3 and reverse working" or something similar didn't have the nerves to write it down..

Finally, I got the car towed to the dealer Manhattan and the guy there basically told me that i'm fk'ed. He told me that whatever they find out it wont be an easy fix and will cost lots of $$$ to get it fixed.. They wont be able to see the car 'till Monday and they wont have a loaner either. Great !!!
After owning this car for less than a year and paying about $4k or more in repairs so far I think i made a bad bad decision getting a used BMW without the warranty, not ever sure If i want to keep up with this BS anymore. I'm afraid this would become the car from hell..

Other than this I love everything this car has to offer, driving it is a pleasure, I never get enough of it, but can't keep putting crazy money on repairs either.

Right now I'm at the mercy of the dealer, and hopping that isn't nothing major. It sucks!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

i know this doesn't help but my indy dealer forewarned me to not get a 7-series because he said they have tons of problems.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

I think OP owns a 5 series. I read about the smg problem with the M5, especially pre-LCI which scared me away from smg tranny when I bought my car. Was looking for the manual but the wife was nagging because she can't drive a stick.

Good luck OP
Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

That's exactly why I bought the SMG, it seemed like a good compromise between a manual and auto, which wifey can drive it once in a while.. Seems like a big mistake..

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
I think OP owns a 5 series. I read about the smg problem with the M5, especially pre-LCI which scared me away from smg tranny when I bought my car. Was looking for the manual but the wife was nagging because she can't drive a stick.

Good luck OP
Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

try not to be so hard on yourself. life is a learning experience.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i | sliver grey metallic | SMG trans | sports package | premium | cold weather | HUD | navi | PDC | sunshades | logic 7 | Ipod | MODS - (Mtech v2 angels )(8000k headlights and fogs)( Full Xenon kit) (///M shifter) (LCI u.s spec tails) (285/30/20 & 255/30/20 beyern baroque 3pc rims) 03 FX45 AWD | silver| sports package| premium package| (WIFE) (sold)06 330i | cherry red | sports package| premium | cold weather | logic 7 | Ipod | ( WIFE )

I recommend you ttake your car to a BMW Indy shop... Way cheaper then the dealer same mechanics.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

I guess you;re right, its just I'm kind of disappointing to see it failing so often.. I still love the ride its awesome!

Originally Posted by donpb
try not to be so hard on yourself. life is a learning experience.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

I guess I would have to dealer just called me and told me it will cost $6600 to get it fixed, the SMG pump went bad and the clutch is gone, I asked how come the clutch is gone, and he tells me that every time you step on the gas when the pump failed it damaged the clutch, I didn't step on the gas, I couldn't even get the car to start as it was stuck on the 1st gear most of the time.. I don't know, but $6600 damn sure will set me back for some time..

Originally Posted by SmG-Deuce
I recommend you ttake your car to a BMW Indy shop... Way cheaper then the dealer same mechanics.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by tnycman
I guess I would have to dealer just called me and told me it will cost $6600 to get it fixed, the SMG pump went bad and the clutch is gone, I asked how come the clutch is gone, and he tells me that every time you step on the gas when the pump failed it damaged the clutch, I didn't step on the gas, I couldn't even get the car to start as it was stuck on the 1st gear most of the time.. I don't know, but $6600 damn sure will set me back for some time..
isnt the smg pump an easy thing to change? some have revived a bad pump also. but since you're at the dealer, you wont get out without spending a ton.

personally i'd find a local bmw mechanic if possible.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tnycman

wow, $ 6600 to "fix" the smg and clutch. I'm sure at more than half will go to the labor. I think you should contact some reputable local indy shop to get a quote and possibly tow it out. Notice you live in NJ, I'm sure some members here can recommend you to some good shops.

Quick Reply: Another problem added to the list..