E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another I-Drive Screen Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xiT

My screen looks like this after first appearing normal for about 20 minutes....voice commands still work. I have to wait 3 weeks for a software reprogramming. I suspect that it is a hardware problem and the software upgrade won't fix it.

Another I-Drive Screen Problem-idrive.jpg
Old 04-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by rhnorb' post='418634' date='Apr 27 2007, 12:13 PM
My screen looks like this after first appearing normal for about 20 minutes....voice commands still work. I have to wait 3 weeks for a software reprogramming. I suspect that it is a hardware problem and the software upgrade won't fix it.
Yes, that does not look like what I had. For me, the display went blank and flashed occasionally. One time I got the BMW logo and but it had interspersed missing lines, it would then go blank, then repaint and repeat. Your problem does look like it is hardware related.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='417430' date='Apr 24 2007, 08:35 PM
My 545 was in for service today to get V25 and I also reported this problem. My SA said they found a fault code and applied a patch from BMW that fixes this problem. I pick up the car in the a.m.
I have not been able to reproduce the problem since the update. One more week and I'll be convicned its been fixed. Overall, V25, at least the version I got, is a major improvement in a lot of areas.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Members

Talking

Originally Posted by pete540' post='416809' date='Apr 23 2007, 08:49 AM
Upgraded software two weeks ago to correct rough running and other issues. Solved all problems and car is running much better and shifts much smoother, no issues with voice recognition BUT Just got the blank screen, yesterday! Shut off car for about 10 minutes, restarted and completely dark, shut off and started to no avail, drove with no audio, navigation. Stopped to gas up and upon restart everything returned to normal. 2006 550. Has anybody gotten a resolution from their dealer yet, no point in bringing in if a software glich that will be solved in a future release.

Pete
The exact same thing happened to my '25 SE on a trip to Scotland 2 months ago. Very cold but bright Sunday morning and all set to head back South.... No screen, completely blank so I headed to nearest dealer Edingburgh BMW. Of course when I got someone to have a look, it was back to normal.

I did use the hand hoover that morning so it might have something to do with it..... DON'T USE THE HAND HOOVER!

Hasn't happened since though. :-)
Old 05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 650i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Logic7 sound system, ARS, PDC

Originally Posted by cheeks' post='414005' date='Apr 15 2007, 03:40 PM
Mine happened yesterday, i ran to the store real quick and when i came out i just had the gray screen, nothing worked, no music and i-drive knob was spinning freely. Sadly, i drove home and let the car sit for a while and started it again and now it works, i am really weary because i am heavily dependent on my navigation and this would be horrible if it happened to me during a long distance trip. FYI: I just had the V25 update and went in again yesterday for the MP3 reprogram, could this be the cause?

Just as i feared, i took a long distance trip over the weekend (400 miles away) and when i was ready to leave the i-drive went blank, no paper maps, no mapquest print-outs. Went to nearest gas station to buy map, when i came back to car it was back on. I am so tired of going to the dealership. BMW NA customer relations, please can you look into this issue? i guess i will live with it until there is a real resolution.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 650i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Logic7 sound system, ARS, PDC

Originally Posted by cheeks' post='419956' date='May 1 2007, 06:00 PM
Just as i feared, i took a long distance trip over the weekend (400 miles away) and when i was ready to leave the i-drive went blank, no paper maps, no mapquest print-outs. Went to nearest gas station to buy map, when i came back to car it was back on. I am so tired of going to the dealership. BMW NA customer relations, please can you look into this issue? i guess i will live with it until there is a real resolution.

So at last the i-drive on my car has finally failed, i have a wedding to attend in some town in the next two hours and i have to pick a few friends and i do not know how to get to these places. If i run off to the dealership, i know they will want to keep the car for a while and they have no loaners with nav, i am just reallly, really sad as i just want to use my car this weekend. The nav on my simple but ever reliable E39 never ever went down but i have just been struggling with this since my software upgrade. I guess i will just print 12 pages out of mapquest, use the car and drop off this monday, is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

BMW NA customer relations are you reading this? any help?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Marco' post='418604' date='Apr 27 2007, 05:29 PM
I had the same problem twice on my 530d touring: screen was off (changing from totally off to grey), no music, no CD/DVD eject, i-drive knob spinning freely. First time BMW service man disconnected the battery and everything was ok again, second time I parked the car overnight and in the morning it was ok.
I just had prog. 25 update.
My dealer said maybe an hardware problem, but it never happened before the new prog.
I am now waiting it happen again...in the meantime a new i-drive hardware has been ordered under garanty.
IMO it is a software problem: maybe solved in the next update...

Since April 24, when it happened twice in one day, this problem did not happaened again...and I had no modifications done yet, neither hardware or software...I am thinking if really necessary to replace the hardware in guarantee now or wait until (and IF...) it will happen again!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='419455' date='Apr 30 2007, 11:58 AM
I have not been able to reproduce the problem since the update. One more week and I'll be convicned its been fixed. Overall, V25, at least the version I got, is a major improvement in a lot of areas.
It still has not recurred for me since my V25.X update. I'd have to call it fixed at this point.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 530xiT

Originally Posted by rhnorb' post='413661' date='Apr 14 2007, 11:44 AM
I've searched the forum and haven't found my particular problem described. While on a trip to Arizona from Seattle, my screen faded to white/gray. After letting the car sit for a half hour and restarting, the screen would appear normal for perhaps an hour, then fade to white/gray again. On my return to Seattle, I drove for 10 hours without the screen, then it suddenly appeared normal. During the last part of the trip the screen would appear normal then slowly fade out and then come back. All the functions continue to work while the screen is blank (e.g. voice commands, radio, etc). Of course, when I left it at the dealer the screen was working. The car has been there for two days so far there is no solution. Any ideas?
I finally got the fix yesterday. The first attempt was to upgrade the software to v 25.02, but that didn't solved the problem. The "CID" (control information display?) was then replaced which provided the fix. Overall, I had a good service experience dealing with Seattle BMW regarding this issue.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Members

Just got vehicle back from dealership, the CID was finally replaced after approval from BMW NA. No failures so far.