E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another Brake Question

Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004
Question Another Brake Question

i recently replaced my pads cause my car ate though the first set of pads fairly quickly due to not bedding them correctly or really at all the first time around. While I had the wheels off I decided the paint the calipers and the plate that the wheel bolts too,wit everything back together i took a few drives in the country to bed them. things were fine for the first few days but it's been about 2 an a half maybe 3 weeks an I have probably put 300 miles max on the pads when I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the drivers rear tire but not while I was stopping only while I was going a certain speed, an if I turned the wheel a lil, lightly pressed the brake pedal, or slowed down some that the noise would go away. I checked all I could tell things looked fine I just pressed the anti rattle clip in a lil more than it was an the sound went away. A short time later the front drivers side began making the same noise while driving never while braking, I tried to push the clip in farther like what worked for the rear time it didn't seem to work on the front. the noise only happens around 35-50mph an when it starts if I lightly press the brakes it stops until I let off them or slow down more, also it will sometimes stop if I make a sharp turn one way or the other, those things will sometimes stop it for a decent amount of time but it will eventually start to do it again. I know it is not the pads already and when I measured the rotors they were well over the recommended thickness so im thinking the clips may hav gotten bent an I should replace them? or could it be the paint causing it somehow? any ideas would be greatly apprciated.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I would take the wheel off to turn the rotor. Then you can tell if it's the clip or not and adjust it. Also did you grease the guide pins? You should grease them every time.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:06 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I would take the wheel off to turn the rotor. Then you can tell if it's the clip or not and adjust it. Also did you grease the guide pins? You should grease them every time.
I've never once greased guide pins on any BMW I've done since my E30, and never once had issues with squeaks or uneven pad wear. Good to know for next time, I guess.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:58 AM
New Members

I did grease the guide pins but I know on one wheel I wasn't able to use as much as I would have liked or even as much as normal because I had ran out an couldn't drive to the store to get anymore lol. do you think it could have anything to do with me painting around that area? I even painted the ainti rattle clips? I let everything dry as much as possible before putting it back together but I really just want to figure out what is causing the noise so I can get rid of it lol I had also used a different kinda of grease on the metal backs of the pads, it's made by Permatex an is in a spray paint type of can an comes out exactly the same, it has a blueish color an has to dry before putting on, has anyone heard of this stuff?
Old 02-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by audiophool
I've never once greased guide pins on any BMW I've done since my E30, and never once had issues with squeaks or uneven pad wear. Good to know for next time, I guess.
Greasing your guide pins having nothing to do with squealing. It has everything to do with your calipers sticking. One one of my cars I did not grease them at all since new. Around 90k they stuck and ruined the calipers having me to buy a new one. Always grease the guide pins because you never know when they will fail.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Greasing your guide pins having nothing to do with squealing. It has everything to do with your calipers sticking. One one of my cars I did not grease them at all since new. Around 90k they stuck and ruined the calipers having me to buy a new one. Always grease the guide pins because you never know when they will fail.
Good point.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 PM
New Members

so its probably clip bent or caliper stick in, but either way I should take tire off an find problem lol
Old 02-12-2019, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the way you are describing it it will be the clip that is rubbing against your rotor. You should be able to look at the rotor and find the spot. Remember there are 2 sides to the rotor. Lol
Old 02-13-2019, 11:42 AM
New Members

ok thanks, I was told it could also be the tires not torqued on correctly? in any case I got both front clips and the rear drivers side clip off a BMW at the local pick an pull so as soon as its not raining in going to swap them with the ones I have on the car now, I also got a packet of grease so while I have tire off im going to re-grease the pins just in case.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:16 AM
New Members

Make sure the grease you use is compatible for brakes. The pins sit in rubber mounts and certain greases can degrade rubber.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Brake Question