E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another Battery Bites the Dust!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyBoy1977
Was the £120 from a BMW dealer and did it include registration of the battery? Which dealer?

If it wasn't from a BMW dealer can you tell me where you got it from?

The indicator on my battery is green i.e. fully charged, however I am getting random error messages when I turn the ignition. Slightly different error messages each time - cruise control error; fuel pump error; active steering error; tranmission error etc. Once the engine starts I don't get any more errors until the following morning when I start her up again. Time for a new battery maybe.

Thanks
i went with 140 genuine from sytner bmw nottingham, 120 was non genuine from a local battery dealer. Dealer didnt mention anything about registration unless they just did that without saying.
The light on my old battery was green but still not holding its charge.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:51 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2006 550i | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport Package | 6-speed MT | Logic7 | NAV | CWP | Tan Dakota Leather | Stock 124s | 35% tint |

4 years, 48K on the clock for my 550. been hobbling the battery as long as possible, but it won't hold a charge now even from my float charger.

dealer wanted $275 for the part - and ~1 hour labor ($125 in CVa, I think)

my general mechanic picked me up one for $150 with a 75 month warranty. I'm having a BMW tech install and register after hours for $50.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 545iA ZSP, ZCW, HUD, Silvergrau

Another Battery problem sufferer here; (not totally surprised considering she's been asleep for most of the winter). I have a battery charger but after just a few days charge is almost gone. I'm considering an AGM battery as a replacement if the OEM unit gets pricey. Any AGM recommendations and helpful advise (including suitable replacement size) would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530i/2007 328i Coupe

"Keep in mind you have to register a new battery using a BMW scan tool.

If not the new battery can be: over or under charged."

I was told a new battery in my 2007 328i didn't need registration, but the battery in my 2008 528i did need the registration.
Does anyone know which models require registration??
Old 04-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Been getting high battery discharge warning the last couple weeks and getting the dealers to check it out tomorrow. My SA already told me it's going to run around $600. Wondering if I should just buy one from Sears or Kragens. Just feels a little funny to throw in a "cheap" aftermarket battery on my car though but seems also stupid to pay that much if it's just a battery. Hmm...

Go to Battery+ on Stevens Creek. I got my battery replaced there and they swapped it out for me for <$200 after tax. I don't know how much I buy into the "program battery with dealership" thing. My car hasn't been running any different since I replaced the battery 9 months ago and I have put somewhere between 12-15k miles on the car.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8
Go to Battery+ on Stevens Creek. I got my battery replaced there and they swapped it out for me for <$200 after tax. I don't know how much I buy into the "program battery with dealership" thing. My car hasn't been running any different since I replaced the battery 9 months ago and I have put somewhere between 12-15k miles on the car.
Got my car back from the dealer and they said they checked everything and everything looks fine. The battery is still good at about 90% and the couldn't find any drains from any sources. They did find a small spike a while back but they said it was very minimal. The only thing they can think of is either my Eurospec headlights or the retrofit cable for the LCI taillights. I've had these headlights for about 3 years now so I can't imagine they're the cause and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with Bruce's retrofit cable.

Guess I'll see the next few days if the warning light comes back on.

And thanks for the suggestion on Battery+ Kristine.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Contributors

As a follow up to my last post. I took the car back on Apr 26th and the dealer spent about 4 days on it and finally said it was the CAS module. The replaced it and I got it back on Thu May 6th and guess what....very next day, got the high battery discharge warning again and been getting it every morning since. Bringing it back in soon but no clue what they're going to look for next.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
As a follow up to my last post. I took the car back on Apr 26th and the dealer spent about 4 days on it and finally said it was the CAS module. The replaced it and I got it back on Thu May 6th and guess what....very next day, got the high battery discharge warning again and been getting it every morning since. Bringing it back in soon but no clue what they're going to look for next.
Is your battery oem? If it is then it's almost, if not 5 yrs old based on your MY. If you ask me it's time for a replacement. It is nearing it's usefull life. Either replace it or keep putting up with the dealers. As stated before, pick up a battery from Batteries Plus. I did last summer and have had no problems since, and with no registration at all. Good luck
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Is your battery oem? If it is then it's almost, if not 5 yrs old based on your MY. If you ask me it's time for a replacement. It is nearing it's usefull life. Either replace it or keep putting up with the dealers. As stated before, pick up a battery from Batteries Plus. I did last summer and have had no problems since, and with no registration at all. Good luck
Yep it's the original battery and that was the first thing I thought was the problem yet they tested it and said it was fine. I'm going to ask them to hook a new battery up and keep the car there over night to see what happens the next day. Or should I just buy a battery from Battery+ and test it out myself?

The CAS module costed over $1400 to fix and luckily it was covered under my Easy Care warranty but I was still responsible for the $500 deductable, yet that still hasn't fixed the issue. Let's say it's a bad battery after all, wonder if they would let me apply that $500 to a new battery. hahaha Hmm...maybe that's not a such a crazy idea since I paid for a repair that didn't solve my problem so they should give me that as a credit right?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Damn straight I'd have them credit the $500 for the new battery! Afterall the onus is on them for not diagnosting the correct problems, if it happens to be just the battery, which I think it is. Hope your situation gets resolved quickly.

Quick Reply: Another Battery Bites the Dust!