E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another active steering and alternator issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Hopefully yes. Since replacing the alternator and fixing the broken wire on the Active Steering electric lock, no more random warnings and like said before, idle is perfect...no more fluctuating idle.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broken wire active steering lock? What wire is that part # or picture? & wea was this fixed wea u located? Thanks ive had the same issue your had since i purchased the car a few years back.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

The AS electric lock wire connector is located on top of the steering gear box and is a two wire connector. Located directly aft of the left motor mount partially under a heat sheild. A stored fault code will tell you if the electric lock is the problem or not.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks bro.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys, it is a bit old thread, but I think I might be experiencing the same problem.

@DavidF, can we tell from the link below, that the faulty connector is hooked up to the sensor marked with number 8? If not, can you try to point the whereabouts of the connector according to the graphic below.

Hydro steering box-Active steering (AFS) BMW 5' E60, 530d (M57N)
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having constant issues with my active steering. It keeps throwing the warming up that it has malfunctioned. It had been cold here, warmest 30* coldest -17* so maybe that has something to do with it. I can turn the wheel left/right a few times then shut it down, fire the car back up and usually it will go out. Sometimes the wheel will get stuck off center too. I have no other issues or lights. I guess I need to get some diagnostic stuff asap. My voltage is around 13.5-13.7 I believe.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

"electric lock" wire connector is located at top of steering gear assembly mostly hidden by cover #4 on parts diagram.

I would try topping of power steering fluid with Pentosin 11S before I did anythign else in an attempt to clear the re-occuring faults during cold weather.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
New Members

I topped it, but I still get the error, and now the wheel is off center. The only connector i see is the one I mentioned, and its wires are okay. I am not sure if the sam connector is covered by #4. Would it be a problem if you point on a real steering gear where should it be.

I'm attaching a real picture.

Last edited by bobbyggx; 01-14-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

I honestly can't remember by looking at the pictures. It seems the picture shows the active steering planetary getset motor and the servotronic valve. There should be another electrical connection for the lock-out solenoid. Maybe on the bottom of the unit as pictured. I do remember finding a picture of the steering lock in WDS (wiring diagram system). You click on the connector reference in the wiring diagram and it shows the location via a photo.

Edit: I looked it up on WDS. It is the small round solenoid looking device in your pictures (the one I surmised was servotronic). That is the "electric lock". Again, INPA will give a specific fault for the electric lock if the wiring is faulty.

Last edited by DavidF; 01-14-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 AM
New Members

Thank you for your time, I appreciate you help very much!

I've marked the area of the electric lock. You are talking for the same connector, right?

P.S. DavidF, could you please, if it is not a problem for you, attach the WDS diagram, because I don't have access to WDS.

This connector is reachable from the top side of the engine, when I open the hood but the wires, near the connector are OK. I read threads where you say there must be a resistanse between the pins, but no one knows what must be the exact value of it.

I do have an error in INPA for the ELECTRIC LOCK, and few days ago I also got another error.
My INPA errors are:
613D electrical Locking error
6141 Engine dynamism monitor

I'm thinking if the wires are ok, it might be a fault in the electric lock device and it looks like(from the pictures) it can be removed and switched with a working one. The strange thing is that some times the AFS works fine, but it seems like it doesn't like the cold weather.

Other though is that the motor of the AFS might be faulty or its wires can be damaged, but in that case the error should be different thant the Locking device.

I've watched the video below, where in the first 50 seconds it explains the work of the active steering and the locking device. In my case if the locking device is the problem most probably the whole system is shutted down and that is why I'm getting the malfunction on to iDrive.

Other though, may the AFS module located under the passangers' seat broken?

Here is the video:
Attached Thumbnails Another active steering and alternator issue-electric-lock.jpg  

Last edited by bobbyggx; 01-15-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Another active steering and alternator issue