E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Annoying seat belt reminder

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='363195' date='Dec 3 2006, 09:37 PM
Begging for sympathy? Yeah, that's what I need. Especially from someone as clueless as you. A puppet in our society. Listen moron, it's not about wearing your seatbelt (since you seem to be so hung up on that). I'm sure you've never exceeded the speed limit either. How many times do we need to pound this into your head? I guess we'll all just continue "on our journey". What a joke.
OK...

ENOUGH!

Name:  gelb.gif
Views: 19
Size:  1.2 KB

This topic should die right now and here.

No more replies please!

Thank you!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:42 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I'll throw in one more reply because, well, I can.

First, the seat belt chime definitely turns off. The only reason it would have stayed on for the person who said it didn't go off for 20 minutes is because the dog was probably moving around and/or shifting weight such that the warning timeout was getting retriggered.

Everyone can come up with some ridiculous examples about when and why the warning is triggered. If it really bothers you that much, fasten the passenger seat belt next time the dog is along, for example. BMW will never disable this chime, so there's really no use in talking about it from that perspective.

Also, the "I paid X amount of money for the car" argument is actually not valid, because that's like saying "I paid X amount of money for the car, and it should come in purple and the navigation voice should speak in tongues." Except for the fact that you chose to buy the car the way it is. Chime and all. Some things you can change, some you can't. The "I paid X" argument makes utterly no sense, and I still fail to understand why people continue to complain about the chime. Just as the dealer and/or BMWNA won't disable other safety features of the vehicle if someone "demands" it, they won't disable the chime.

What's worse, everyone who complains about it claims that they "always wear their seat belt" and that it's "just the principle of the thing." If you always wear your seat belt, then you shouldn't hear the chime. And if you do hear it occasionally because you don't like to put your seat belt on until you've backed out of the driveway or take it off to get out your wallet when you go into the parking ramp, get over it. All of the other obscure examples people can come up with can be easily worked around, and are soundly overshadowed by the warning value of the chime.

In sum, I don't get the vehement complaints about something as meaningless as a chime, especially when the solution is so simple (and desirable). And let's all try to be cordial and friendly to one another here. No use in insulting each other; I don't really care who started it in this instance. Let's just not continue it!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by jaki' post='363167' date='Dec 4 2006, 03:09 AM
If Youre begging sympathy, you don't receive any.
It is totally stupid and dangerous to let a dog be free in the front seat. no mater it's race, it is still only an animal.
Idon't care about Your life a shit, but it might be happen that your dog for some reason jumps etc suddently and that cause You to drive to unwanted direction to kill innocent people like me.
Yes, we are not perfect anybody, but at least we should do everything what is possible to make our journey a bit safer.
Propably we are not living in same country, so possibility fo crash is minimal, not still zero...
The link which showed how to ignore seat belt warining is incredible. If there is any intelligence in this forum, it should be deleted immidiatelly. So stupid.
no don`t deleted it you got to let every 1 in the world know
Old 12-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

First of all, I apologize for the name calling. I unfortunately acted my age (24). I just get really fired up when people try to tell me what to do in an instance like this. Although I strongly disagree with 99% of the e60 members on this board regarding seatbelts I realize I'm fighting a losing battle. All I can hope is that your opinions reagrding this matter aren't indicative of your everyday lifestyle and how you're so willing to "put up with things" without a fight.

/rant
Old 12-04-2006, 07:57 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='363321' date='Dec 4 2006, 03:51 AM
and how you're so willing to "put up with things" without a fight.

/rant

Hell no, I love a fight..........................but I'm 50 and have learnt not to pick one I can't win.

Good discussion, no hard feelings, life would be boring if we all held the same opinions.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by KAF' post='363472' date='Dec 5 2006, 12:57 AM
Hell no, I love a fight..........................but I'm 50 and have learnt not to pick one I can't win.

Good discussion, no hard feelings, life would be boring if we all held the same opinions.

I`m not 50 yet be I agree with you it would be very boring in the world if we do not fight againest other opnions.
My and my wife always fight that way we get together much better and our marrage last much longer.
I have seen marrage split up cos they don`t fight that much and have the same opinions. Its not good.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

just a little touch up on the subject of seat belts. wanted to post this somewhere and i found this thread. guys, everyone, just wear a seat belt and be safe. one of my friends that i have known since kindergarten was involved in an accident over the weekend with her boyfriend. the boyfriend was speeding, and she wasnt wearing her seat belt. he lost control of the car without knowing it, and because my friend wasnt wearing a seat belt, she was thrown out of the car. she was put on life support in the hospital. she wasnt going to make it, and they decided to pull the plug. its sad.. you never know what could happen. in many instances in accidents seat belts have saved lives. ive heard from friends before telling me "they said if i wasnt wearing my seat belt i couldve been dead." if my friend was wearing hers, she might have been saved. be safe out there.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

Going back to several posts which commented that the dealer can turn off the chime if paperwork is signed, that is not possible in the U.S.

It may be possible in other markets but YMMV.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

Huh. Though fairly new to the forum, this is one of the first times I have seen folks "gang up" on a guy for his beliefs. 24 or 50, it's his choice. I can understand that our friend in MN does not want to "conform" to society just because "society" tells him to do something.

His particular society has stated the following....

Seat Belt Law
MN Stat. 169.686

Applies to all front-seat occupants and all children under the age of 11 years regardless of position
Children over three and under 11 must be in a safety seat or seat belt (driver is responsible)
Belts must be used properly (lap belt snug over lap, not abdomen; strap across shoulder, not under arm)
Belts must be present as produced by manufacturer
Driver or passengers 15 years or older are subject to a $25 fine and may be cited separately
Driver must be stopped or detained for a moving violation before a citation can be issued.
Driver may not be ticketed for a violation by a front-seat passenger over 11 and under 15 if the passenger is not the driver?s child

Exceptions:

Persons driving in a vehicle in reverse
Person riding in a vehicle in which all seating positions equipped with safety belts are occupied by other people
Person who has in their possession a written certificate from a licensed physician stating that for medical reasons, wearing a safety belt is inadvisable
Person actually engaged in work that requires frequent alighting and reentering and who, while engaged in the work, travels in the vehicle at speeds no more than 25 m.p.h.
Person driving or riding in a vehicle made before 1/1/65
A rural mail carrier of the U.S. Postal Service while in the performance of duties
Person riding in a pickup truck (carrying capacity of 3/4 ton or less) engaged in normal farming work or activity

I think I know what our friend originally tried to impart to us, though: his complaint is that he is being "told" what to do. Maybe because I am a Marine, I am used to giving and receiving orders, but I have no problem being reminded to be responsible.

This has been my 2 cents and wearing a seat belt is what I do; It's habit.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fmai' post='362592' date='Dec 1 2006, 07:25 PM
I live in Taiwan and yes, seat belt usage is madatory. I just don't like to have an annoying reminder.
So belt up.

ABC

Quick Reply: Annoying seat belt reminder