E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel Light Malfunction !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 550i
Exclamation Angel Light Malfunction !!

Hi Everyone,
I recently opened up the black cap of my headlight to install the white angel lights and to my surprise, the insulation of the wires were beaking off. I went ahead and replaced the angels. I dod not had any problems with that and angels works and look fine.
few days later, the message saying "Left parking light malfunction!" appears. I, then thought that the angel bulb gets loose. I opened up the thing again, it wasn't loose. also I replaced the bulb with the right one and it still wasn't working but it works fine in the right headlight.
I know there might a problem with the wiring. but how can I troubleshoot/fix myself ?
Any easy/medium level fixes?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Members

The insulation of the wires were breaking off? Strange, usually that's the sign on overheating the wire. Are the wires on both sides (left/right) were breaking off the same? Did you try putting stock angel eyes back?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Members

Yes, they were breaking off almosy equally. This is a common problem with E60s. I however put insulation tape on where it was breaking up.
I did put back OEM angels. Both bulbs works in right headlight but neither works in left.
There is a wiring issue for sure with left headlight but how do I fix it?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Members

I would suggest removing the entire headlight assembly and inspect it closely for any breakages. There is a DIY how to take your headlight out. I was able to do it without taking off my bumper. Good luck: https://5series.net/showthread.php?t=133279
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Join the club. This has nothing to do with overheating the wires, and everything to do with poor insulating material Hella used when making these headlights. Some have been able to use a liquid electrical tape product to spray on the affected wires. Most of us end up replacing the headlight housings. If you have this problem on one side, the other headlight is likely doing the same thing. You can call BMW and NHTSA if you want. I won't be surprised if there is a class action lawsuit on this down the road.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i

This happened to me as well. The wires were peeling so I just put electrical tape and played with the with it until my angel eyes came on. It's not an manufacture defect I called BMW snd its no covered under warranty (CPO) good luck
Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

This is a mfg defect and it should be covered under warranty, but I don't know of anyone who has gone to have it looked at before the 50K and what BMW's response was. I know after 50K, NOT! As for poor quality of wire being used, kinda sorta... Or rather a better quality could be used for this particular application. There is additional heat etc generated from this particular situation. The wires used are no different than any other wires in your car and all have to meet certain requirements. Recycled material is not used and it has nothing with the Green party in Germany. It's merely the application and the situation. You will not find any other situation like this on the car. Well, wait, some have had some problems at the rear brake connector as well but not exactly the same. I look at a couple times a year just to see if they are ok.

In the meantime, use a piece a electrical tape or the spray. Do you think the bare wire could have touched or grounded somewhere? If so, this might be your problem.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
In the meantime, use a piece a electrical tape or the spray. Do you think the bare wire could have touched or grounded somewhere? If so, this might be your problem.
What are my options if bare wires touched? What possible damage that might have caused? How do I confirm?