E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel Eye Overload

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

It really isn't that complicated. There are a good deal of vendors out there, that's for sure. But for the most part, there is an agreed consensus to the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Like theXman said, it's more or less that.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can chime on on what I've done with 2004 through 2007 BMW E60 Models.

1) First I purchased R-Dash brand 7000k LED angel eyes. They cost me about $50.

Results: I was very happy at first and had them for about 1 year. At dusk and night they were great but produced a somewhat blue tint because of the high kelvin temp 7k. I also noticed that over a while they weren't as bright as they once were, but not by much.

2) Mtec V2 brand. I purchased these from Brabus09AMG here on this site. These are amazing. They are the brightest pre-LCI upgrade available and not invasive or cost-prohibitive like the Orions (which force you to cut open your light etc). The color temp is 6000k which is a pure white. I've had these for 6 months or so and I'm very happy with them!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I can chime on on what I've done with 2004 through 2007 BMW E60 Models.

1) First I purchased R-Dash brand 7000k LED angel eyes. They cost me about $50.

Results: I was very happy at first and had them for about 1 year. At dusk and night they were great but produced a somewhat blue tint because of the high kelvin temp 7k. I also noticed that over a while they weren't as bright as they once were, but not by much.

2) Mtec V2 brand. I purchased these from Brabus09AMG here on this site. These are amazing. They are the brightest pre-LCI upgrade available and not invasive or cost-prohibitive like the Orions (which force you to cut open your light etc). The color temp is 6000k which is a pure white. I've had these for 6 months or so and I'm very happy with them!
I think if we can collect these kinds of reviews into one thread it would immensely help out the forum. Im gonna work on it tonight.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Space Gray Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navi, Automatic. HID 10000K Angel Eyes, 8000K Low Beam and Fog Lights... Next up: MTech Kit, Sound System and Backup Camera, and maybe some new shoes!!

yes, i agree!! i am researching to upgrade my angle eyes .... but so many brands and brightness..... my god i'm lost .... anyone have a good recommendation???
Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sportzfan76
Has anyone noticed the influx of the various brands and types of angel eyes upgrades lately. Its Crazy !

Man, its almost overwelming. Pre-Lci, LCI, Led, HID...this brand...that brand....How the heck to you keep them all straight... nevermind
which ones are brighter, or last longer or don't give Fm interference or are brighter during the day etc etc etc.

What happened to the good ol days where there were only one or two decent choices....I'm totally suffereing from Angel Eye OVERLOAD !!!! Yikes.
2004-2007 Cars with Xenon
Predatr ICE V2 - no longer offerer = equal brightness to Mtec V2 <-- these are the best plug and play solutions available for a long time, no more.

Predator ICE V3 & Mtech V2.1 - ICE V3 is brighter fractionally but they are the same price and are the best plug and play on the market.
All the others - Weiss, Racedash, China special, etc. are about the same as the original ICE V1 unit we introduced 4+ years ago and are now direct knockoffs of the Mtec V1/V2 units.

Orion V2 = brightest possible application, but requires the cutting or opening of lights by other means. There are no drawbacks to this kit other than the opening of the lights.

2004-2007 Cars without Xenon
Don't have a lot of data here, but Orion v2 will work if you cut the lights open. I believe the only way to upgrade these is with 5W wedge LEDs - sorry, can't offer you much data here.

2008-20010 Cars with Xenon
HID Kits (no error code modules are required) - best *BRIGHT* solution, but the high beam rings are washed out. These are offered by a lot of vendors - from $100 on up to $250. There is no proven long term usage on these - they may be fine, they may be dangerous and burn parts out.

Genesis kit (we sell this) - average output, not the best, but will change the lights to white.

GP Thunder - waste of $30 - basically 35W halogen hyperwhite bulbs that do nothing really.

Weiss, Racedash, and various others, slightly brighter than GP Thunders, usually sell from $60-150.

Orion V2 = brightest possible application, but requires the cutting or opening of lights by other means. There are no drawbacks to this kit other than the opening of the lights.

2008-20010 Cars without Xenon
Don't have a lot of data here to offer you, but I do know the Orion v2 will work on these as long as you can open the lights.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Contributors

brabus....problem solved
Old 08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Umnitza's info is pretty accurate imo.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

in fact, i don't think there is much choice at all..

for pre-LCI xenons:
- Mtec is strobing and causes intereference, don't wan't these two "features" (but I still want the 6000K!)
- All the ebay crap is just... well, crap. Besides - ALL of them are 8000K with blueish tint. Looks cheap and ricey. Don't want that.
- Rdash is 7000K, okayish but not quite, and has reliability problems. Don't want that either.
- AiB, seems the best alternative with 5000-6000K, no strobing, no interference, good reliability, BUT... $300! :thumbsdown:

Well, I don't call this "influx" or "choice".

If we could at least have a few versions in the cheaper end of the market with different colour temps, that would be at least a good start.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Just retrofit Orion angel eyes.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

And now you have another new option:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...0/page__st__25