E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel eye bulb replacement question... Pre LCi E60

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

If you're looking to go bright get the Xenons. If you're looking to spend only about $35 get the White LED. I got some on ebay plug and play, no errors and we will not need the socket adapter included.

There's a DIY here to take out your lamps. It's a simple process and removing the stock bulb is very simple. Have no fear. You really can't ruin anything except for the headlight housing brackets which are replaceable...but just have patience you'll do fine. All those DIY's can be found here.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
If you're looking to go bright get the Xenons. If you're looking to spend only about $35 get the White LED. I got some on ebay plug and play, no errors and we will not need the socket adapter included.

There's a DIY here to take out your lamps. It's a simple process and removing the stock bulb is very simple. Have no fear. You really can't ruin anything except for the headlight housing brackets which are replaceable...but just have patience you'll do fine. All those DIY's can be found here.

Sorry guy, I know you're trying to help, but you seem to be confused to what you're talking about. The only thing close to being Xenon AE is HID AE, which is not available for Pre-LCI.

Alsom many members will attest that most eBay ones are knock offs of Mtech, RDash, etc. and starts to yellow and fade after a while.

For Pre-LCI, the simplest solution is Mtec v2. But many members will say that it's not as bright as they thought it would be. It looks good at night, but during the day, it's not readily visible.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Sorry guy, I know you're trying to help, but you seem to be confused to what you're talking about. The only thing close to being Xenon AE is HID AE, which is not available for Pre-LCI.

Alsom many members will attest that most eBay ones are knock offs of Mtech, RDash, etc. and starts to yellow and fade after a while.

For Pre-LCI, the simplest solution is Mtec v2. But many members will say that it's not as bright as they thought it would be. It looks good at night, but during the day, it's not readily visible.
I was talking about the Xenon HID. Now it being available for the pre-LCI or not I have no idea. I'm sure if I broke out the soldering gun and manuals I could make it work. In addition, I assumed it would work since I was solicited by other members on this subject but it's nothing I strive to be knowledgable about, it's a bulb. I'm using an LED which is actually white. Having an LED fade?.......Never seen that happen during my usage over the years. As far as Mtec V2, like you said:

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
It looks good at night, but during the day, it's not readily visible.
So just go with the LED because it's the same. Knockoff? Everything is Chinese these days....Make a sound judgement on quality by using references. Just my $.02. So let me re-phrase my previous post "You can spend more or less and you'll get the same effect, so just spend less. It's a bulb! Now if it was engine/tranny related I have a different perspective"
Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by nevrev73
Ive got big hands so it would be easier to take headlight out. I had problems doing my old VW golf headlights and they were easy to get to!

I heard that the MTEC bulbs come up with "check light" error message on some i-drives so not sure about those.... anyone got any personal experience with them?
The MTEC V2's do not give error lights and contact brabusw209amg for the mtech v2's. The MTEC V2's are the brightest one's out with NO ERROR codes

If you want SUPER bright AE's then go with the Orions, but for the Orions you do have to open your headlights.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I was talking about the Xenon HID. Now it being available for the pre-LCI or not I have no idea. I'm sure if I broke out the soldering gun and manuals I could make it work. In addition, I assumed it would work since I was solicited by other members on this subject but it's nothing I strive to be knowledgable about, it's a bulb. I'm using an LED which is actually white. Having an LED fade?.......Never seen that happen during my usage over the years. As far as Mtec V2, like you said:

So just go with the LED because it's the same. Knockoff? Everything is Chinese these days....Make a sound judgement on quality by using references. Just my $.02. So let me re-phrase my previous post "You can spend more or less and you'll get the same effect, so just spend less. It's a bulb! Now if it was engine/tranny related I have a different perspective"
Okay, since we're going to be that way...

Theoretically, HID AE's is possible on Pre-LCI's if we are going to start modding the hell out of the headlights, which would include a custom job on the holder and the metal contacts. Is it a worthwhile endeavor? Hard to say, as this has never been tackled. I am sure that given the parts and time, my buddy and I can make it work. But it would be far from PnP.

Until someone can come up with a magical solution, HID AE is NOT available on Pre-LCI (hence you don't know what you're talking about). And good luck busting out the soldering gun (what the hell are you going to solder?) and manual (for what?!), not exactly sure why you think that's the wonderful combination.

As for the LED fade, like I stated, that is a piece of information that other members have shared on the board. I have the Orions, so I have no personal experience.

And just because "everything" is made in China nowadays doesn't mean that the quality is all the same. If you truly believe that... well, I can't say anything else besides LOL. Not trying to be a dick, but you really came in here and provided confusing information. The title asked about "Pre LCI E60", and you go and talk about Xenon (HID) AE's. It's been said over and over that it's LCI only.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

The V3 ICE is the brightest product for the direct swap and go out there. it's fractionally brighter than the Mtec V2.1 but not significantly so unless you are standing right next to each of them.

The Orion V2 is the best kit available if you are willing to cut your lights open (though some have success with other methods in opening the lights).

Tex_phil has a good video showing the quality of the Orion V2:
Originally Posted by tex_phil