E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Amplifier question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by biz77
The L7 processing occurs inside the OEM L7 amplifier.

The OEM L7 mid/high combo is actively high passed via the amplifier. The mid range drivers are allowed to play full range and roll off naturally. The tweeters utilize a capacitor for a passive high pass filter. The under seat woofers are actively low passed via the amplifier and allowed to play all the way down to their cutoff.

All of the L7 drivers are actually quite decent. JBL built a 3-series a few years back utilizing the JBL MS8 processor, JBL amplifiers, a 12" JBL subwoofer and they retained all of the factory logic 7 speakers and added three OEM L7 tweeters (center and rear doors). That car garnered the highest sound quality score at Spring Break Nationals one year. Being in the biz on the home audio side, I've had a chance to listen to the car. It's incredible, given the fact that it is using the factory head unit and all factory drivers, plus a single 12" sub.

IMO, your best bet is to replace the L7 amp with a MoBridge DA1 (toslink optical output) or Mobridge DA2 (8-channel configurable analog RCA outputs). Either of these units will take the audio from the MOST BUS and either convert it to standard toslink for use by audio processors with a toslink input, such as an Alpine PXA-H800 or to multiple analog RCA outputs converted by a high-quality DAC. Replacing the L7 amp with a MoBridge unit may require some recoding of your car, depending on the options it has from the factory.
I love when chrome get's stuck in calendar. I had to force close chrome to recover but my reply was erased. I dig up the document describing Logic 7 system as well as standard stereo setup.

Top HiFi Components
The Top-HiFi audio system differs from the HiFi audio system by higher grade speakers and
the addition of following components:
• Top-HiFi amplifier
• Front mid-range speaker mounted centrally in instrument panel
• Mid-range speakers in rear left and right doors
Higher grade speakers are used in the Top-HiFi audio system. The midrange speakers are
equipped with aluminum diaphragms, the tweeters with aluminum spherical caps. The
speakers were adapted corresponding to the higher output power of the Top-HiFi amplifier.
Top-HiFi Amplifier
The Top-HiFi amplifier is designed as an analogue 7-channel amplifier (LOGIC7). It features
7 bridge-type output stages with an output power rating of 7x40 W at 2 and a bandwidth
of 200 Hz - 20 kHz. In addition, two bridge-type output stages rated 2x70 W at 4 and a
bandwidth of 20 Hz - 200 Hz are available for the central woofers.
This amplifier is connected via the MOST bus to the M-ASK. All audio signals are transmitted
from the M-ASK via the MOST bus. The Top-HiFi amplifier is equipped with the LOGIC7
function.
LOGIC 7
LOGIC7 is a registered trademark of Lexicon, Inc., a company of the Harman International
Group. It was especially developed for applications in motor vehicles.
LOGIC7 is a sound system that creates a 7-channel surround sound from 2-channel audio
sources (radio, CD, CC). The incoming stereo signals are decoded in the digital sound
processor (DSP), distributed over 7 channels and remixed. The entire transmission width is
used on each channel, thus creating perfect surround sound that gives the listener the
impression of being in the middle of the space.
Mid-Range Speakers
The load rating of the mid-range speakers was increased to 40 W for the Top-HiFi audio
system. The mid-range speakers are equipped with aluminum diaphragms. aluminum
diaphragms are particularly lightweight and feature a higher rigidity. These properties result
in improved inherent dynamics and a clearer sound over the entire frequency range.
The effective frequency range is from 100 Hz to 10000 Hz. The Top-HiFi audio system was
extended by three mid-range speakers. A mid-range speaker was positioned in the center
of the instrument panel in order to realize the surround sound function in the vehicle. Two
further mid-range speakers were integrated in the rear doors.
Tweeters (High-Range Speakers)
The tweeters (high-range speakers) have also been adapted. The load rating was increased
to 40 W. The tweeters are equipped with aluminum spherical caps. They feature sealed
design. The effective frequency range is from 5000 Hz to 20000 Hz.
Central Woofers
Compared to the HiFi audio system, further modified central woofers are used in the Top-
HiFi audio system. The central woofers have a diameter of 200 mm and a load bearing
capacity of 70 W. The transmitted frequency is between 30 Hz and 500 Hz.
They don't talk about filters used to cross, but it looks like amps are bandwidth limited as well as additional filtering in tweeter according to your post (first order crossover - cap on the tweeter). As I expected woofers are crossed really high with midbass, I think this is the main disadvantage of this system ?(4" drivers cannot extend really deep in this acoustical environment, so they had to make a trade off). Naturally I want to drop the bass response by 3 clicks on eq at 100Hz eq setting but then the voices start to loose weight. Alternatively I can use Bass control that covers wider range but I haven't played enough to see if there is a real benefit.

Natural speaker response:
Highs [500; 20000] Hz - amp FR [200; 20000] Hz
Mids [100; 10000] Hz - amp FR [200; 20000] Hz
Woofs [30; 500] Hz - amp FR [20; 200] Hz
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E60Sound.pdf (690.9 KB, 93 views)