E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp/ Sub in the trunk????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys,

I have read all the posts on this forum, regarding sound system upgrade. My conclusion is, modifying/ upgrading the existing system would be way more costly, and time consuming.
I have a Kicker Amp, and a 12 inch sub in tight box, that I took out from my previous E46, along with all the connectors/ wires that were needed for that car.

My question is, anyone tried that before (I bet a number of people would have), and if they did, how did it turn out? I am ok with the over all sound, just need addition bass...

The only hurdle I see is the sealed trunk not allowing sound getting into passenger cabin... ideas?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what I did and it is great. My E60 had a ski port when I bought it so I just pointed my sub directly into the car. If you don't have a ski port you can try to cut one. Some info on that here:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/109...-the-ski-port/

Just by adding the 12" sub, it is a 1000 times better now. I still want to get a better amp and update my speakers in the future, however this is a really great to get things rolling.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 AM
Members

Thanks man.
Do you have DIY on connections you used for the amp (basically, from where did you get them)?
I have everything, that I took out from E46... just need to hook it up
Thanks.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I did a complete audio system upgrade to my E60. Check my signature below for the full equipment list.

I am running a single 12" JL Audio subwoofer in the trunk. The woofer is installed in a pre-fabricated box designed for the E60 by JL Audio. It fits in the left corner of the trunk, behind the wheel well.

I will tell you that if you want powerful bass and your subwoofer is installed in the trunk, you will need to leave your ski port open. I have simply removed the plastic trapdoor which houses the ski sleeve, and I leave the rear armrest in the down position. This means I have an opening into the trunk which lets more bass into the cabin.

In order to add a subwoofer to your E60 you will need the following items, at a minimum:

1. A line output convertor. This is a device which takes the speaker outputs from the BWM amplifier and converts them to Line Level.

2. An amplifier for the woofer.

3. A subwoofer + enclosure of your choice.

The total bill for a basic setup should not cost you a huge amount of money. It just depends on what kind of gear you choose, and how custom you want the install.