E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ambient Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Sorry to resurrect the dead, but I'm just trying to find some interesting reading. Anyway, are you guys holding the Start/Stop button when you turn off the car or just tapping it? I found that just tapping it doesn't actually turn the car off, it only shuts off the engine. If you hold the button until the BMW logo is displayed (and the steering wheel and seat bolsters start to return to rest), when you get out, everything will be off and the lights will fade away as they normally should. I've done it both ways and holding the button is, IMO, the proper shutdown procedure.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='494276' date='Nov 14 2007, 11:48 AM
Sorry to resurrect the dead, but I'm just trying to find some interesting reading. Anyway, are you guys holding the Start/Stop button when you turn off the car or just tapping it? I found that just tapping it doesn't actually turn the car off, it only shuts off the engine. If you hold the button until the BMW logo is displayed (and the steering wheel and seat bolsters start to return to rest), when you get out, everything will be off and the lights will fade away as they normally should. I've done it both ways and holding the button is, IMO, the proper shutdown procedure.

GT - interesting news...does the OM concur with your diagnosis?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='494276' date='Nov 14 2007, 11:48 AM
GT,

That sounds like a computer power shutdown procedure - push and hold the power botton on a computer to force the shutdown.
My SA told me that there are many "mini computers" on the car and you should let them gracefully shutdown by themselves.
But again, mine is an 04 model and doesn't have the Start/Stop button.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='494276' date='Nov 14 2007, 08:48 PM
I just tap the start/stop button, and this shuts off the engine but leaves a lot of other systems at least primed, if not running. However, the act of unclicking the key fob and removing it from the ignition is what starts the full shut down process. In my opinion, it would be better to let these systems shut themselves down "naturally" rather than forcing them to shut down by holding down that start/stop button. I really do not want my car to start up in "safe mode" one morning