E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Am I worrying over nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Ok...first of all, I did search the forum for the answer but could find it, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I just noticed over the past few weeks (now that I have started parking my car in the garage due to number of break-ins in the neighbourhood) that when I start or drive the car for short period (usually less than a minute to park the car in the garage from the drive), that it doesn't easily restart again afterwards (have to crank the engine for a long time, the engine misfires, check engine lights up etc), whether it is immediately afterwards or the next day. However, if I let the engine idle for at least 2 minutes after every start/restart, I have no problems.

I don't recall ever having such a problem before in all previous bmws. Is this normal & I am being paranoid or is it time to visit the dealer?

(E60 '05 530i auto)
Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

i have had the same problem but with a 2005 Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero??) it was diagnosed with a fault within the ECU (DME for us) , there could be something else wrong with your car. Please take to the dealer and have them experience the same problem. My Pajero was brand new purchase in 2005 and the dealer wont accept the problem blaming on bad fuel of Bangladesh etc, the problem was timed, it would do in the morning and when the car engine is in normal temp it would not repeat, then exactly 2.30 hours later if you cranked it would miss fire and sometimes the intake would send AIR OUT rather than taking in making a small pop noise. I made the whole Video with timing and sent it to MMC Japan. Then they found out 49 Pajero's shipped to Bangladesh had faulty ECU programming .
Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BizyB' post='541553' date='Mar 8 2008, 01:04 PM
Ok...first of all, I did search the forum for the answer but could find it, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I just noticed over the past few weeks (now that I have started parking my car in the garage due to number of break-ins in the neighbourhood) that when I start or drive the car for short period (usually less than a minute to park the car in the garage from the drive), that it doesn't easily restart again afterwards (have to crank the engine for a long time, the engine misfires, check engine lights up etc), whether it is immediately afterwards or the next day. However, if I let the engine idle for at least 2 minutes after every start/restart, I have no problems.

I don't recall ever having such a problem before in all previous bmws. Is this normal & I am being paranoid or is it time to visit the dealer?

(E60 '05 530i auto)
Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

your reply was empty
Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Originally Posted by BizyB' post='541553' date='Mar 8 2008, 06:04 PM
when I start or drive the car for short period (usually less than a minute to park the car in the garage from the drive), that it doesn't easily restart again
(E60 '05 530i auto)
Had this on an e46 320i. When you start the engine from cold a huge amount of fuel is pumped into the cylinders. A short drive of a few yards does not burn this off and the car is effectively 'flooded'.
Yes, flooded. Just like a 20 year old car with carbs!

If it is really bad, the solution is to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor past the kick-down point and crank the engine till it fires. You will probably see a lot of unburnt fuel leave your exhaust as black smoke.

Suggest revving the engine slightly after parking to ensure fuel is burnt off.