E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Alternator Gasket - add an Oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Gasket - add an Oil cooler?

Ok So ......... Haven't been here for awhile... to busy fixing my money pit.. ugh.. I mean car.

Just replaced the coolant transfer pipe... noticed an oil leak.. nothing from up top.. it's all under the engine on the alternator.. my guess is Oil pressure sensor.. quick easy fix and cheap so that's being done.

If that isn't it.. it'll either be timing gaskets, valve covers or Alternator gasket.. my hunch is the oil sensor giving the placement of the oil but could be valve or timing... but doubtful as the tech was just all through that stuff doing the coolant pipe and seems to think it's coming from under on the passenger side.

Anyhow... enough of my less than educated guesses!

My question... when I have the poor guy do the alternator gasket job - what's involved to add an oil cooler, what are the net benefits and are there any downfalls, things to watch for etc.? Figured if the oil can run a little cooler, than it'll help the engine and seals/gaskets a bit longer but I might be dead wrong.. Can someone give me a run down on the pros/cons of the oil cooler add-on? Since it's being replaced I figured I might as well go all the way. .. Also! What other sacrificial parts or wearable parts can I replace while this alternator gasket job is being done. Obviously the tech will inspect everything as he goes, but are there seals or any other things that he might not see that we could address at that time?

Car is a 2004 545i with 150,000km (auto, standard suspension)
Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by sotek
Ok So ......... Haven't been here for awhile... to busy fixing my money pit.. ugh.. I mean car.

Just replaced the coolant transfer pipe... noticed an oil leak.. nothing from up top.. it's all under the engine on the alternator.. my guess is Oil pressure sensor.. quick easy fix and cheap so that's being done.

If that isn't it.. it'll either be timing gaskets, valve covers or Alternator gasket.. my hunch is the oil sensor giving the placement of the oil but could be valve or timing... but doubtful as the tech was just all through that stuff doing the coolant pipe and seems to think it's coming from under on the passenger side.

Anyhow... enough of my less than educated guesses!

My question... when I have the poor guy do the alternator gasket job - what's involved to add an oil cooler, what are the net benefits and are there any downfalls, things to watch for etc.? Figured if the oil can run a little cooler, than it'll help the engine and seals/gaskets a bit longer but I might be dead wrong.. Can someone give me a run down on the pros/cons of the oil cooler add-on? Since it's being replaced I figured I might as well go all the way. .. Also! What other sacrificial parts or wearable parts can I replace while this alternator gasket job is being done. Obviously the tech will inspect everything as he goes, but are there seals or any other things that he might not see that we could address at that time?

Car is a 2004 545i with 150,000km (auto, standard suspension)
After replacing the the alternator gasket I started into looking searching for a oil filter adaptor for a cooler and hit a dead end. I wanted one with fittings for a temp and pressure gage. Found many but not for a 545. So I thought about getting all the parts from a 550 oil cooler. I think that would be the best route . If u haven't fixed it yet , now would be a good time to install one. The bracket needs to b changed out . To a oil cooler connecting bracket it has the fittings for hoses and I believe it also has a thermostat. The cooler itself is big and In front of the radiator . Totally doable,, if I was to do it again I would go that route . It's still on my list to do . , I just haven't priced all the parts to get a cost figure on it . So if u plan installing a cooler go with the 550 set up it will be the best route. I ve done hours and hours of searching for an after market set up and came to the conclusion that there is no other route but the factory design.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 AM
H F
New Members

By the way I just read a post on a oil switch that is hard to find when it leaks above the ac belt . I think it's under the vacume pump .
Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I was thinking about this setup when I had my alt. gasket leak fixed. This would involve getting rid of the alternator and installing a water-cooled generator and an oil cooler from the 550i or a Gulf Version 745Li.
Attached Thumbnails Alternator Gasket - add an Oil cooler?-generator-water-cooled.jpg  

Last edited by Rizbel; 06-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by Rizbel
I was thinking about this setup when I had my alt. gasket leak fixed. This would involve getting rid of the alternator and installing a water-cooled generator and an oil cooler from the 550i or a Gulf Version 745Li.
Ya It's defitnatley doable, have u done a cost figure on all the parts for the 550 cooler set up ?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Members

Thanks!! I'll have to do a little research and might hit you up with some questions later. If I get a parts list together, I'll post here for all.

Just had a thought... with this gasket being replaced.. would this be an ideal time to "shampoo" the engine as the electrical could be covered up very well with everything apart??
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by sotek
Thanks!! I'll have to do a little research and might hit you up with some questions later. If I get a parts list together, I'll post here for all.

Just had a thought... with this gasket being replaced.. would this be an ideal time to "shampoo" the engine as the electrical could be covered up very well with everything apart??
Oil does get every where ,, be carefull on what u use to clean up ur engine don't use engine cleaner that are heavy with chemicals , that stuff is not good for the electrical plugs and wiring .. After my alternator gasket leaked and fixed, I used simple green ( its bio degradable )rags tooth brushes and water , got WD 40 sprayed it on the plugs that got wet, to chase the water out . Got my air nozzle and gently blew out all the connector plugs and stuff and havent had any issues..