E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Alpina dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

I haven't resisted and 5 minutes ago I called the BMW-Alpina dealer in my city, asking to test the Alpina B5 .

The man said they have a demo sample, currently on vacation with the boss

I will recall in 10-15 days to fix a date for the test drive .

I pretended to be interested, saying "The M5 has no torque, it is heavy and aspirated" and the man "yes, the B5 is another car, it has another kind of power, I tried it and it's really stunning" .

And this will be the first step of the 2000 km project ..
Old 01-04-2008, 04:25 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

The Alpina B5 is simply awesome -- I love that car!! They also have the B5-S, but lets not go there, just yet!

There was a recent test in a German magazine (AUTO TESTS, Dec 2007) in which they tested the B5 (not B5-S), M5 and E63 AMG against one another. The M5 was deemed the best on the track, the AMG best cruiser, and the B5 simply the best all round and most agile & comfortable -- i.e. the B5 "won" the test, but the others were both very close behind.

Start saving, it's going to be difficult to resist -- especially if its in the beautiful Alpina Blue.
And let me guess, will part of the 2000km take place on the German autobahns...
Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='513573' date='Jan 4 2008, 02:25 PM
The Alpina B5 is simply awesome -- I love that car!! They also have the B5-S, but lets not go there, just yet!

There was a recent test in a German magazine (AUTO TESTS, Dec 2007) in which they tested the B5 (not B5-S), M5 and E63 AMG against one another. The M5 was deemed the best on the track, the AMG best cruiser, and the B5 simply the best all round and most agile & comfortable -- i.e. the B5 "won" the test, but the others were both very close behind.

Start saving, it's going to be difficult to resist -- especially if its in the beautiful Alpina Blue.
And let me guess, will part of the 2000km take place on the German autobahns...

I already posted it, but check this video on YT (00.27) :

Look at how much torque it has

The Alpina clearly seems lighter than the M5/M5 and better balanced .

Do you know why the B5 wasn't the best also on the track ?

Because those pigs by BMW didn't want to let Alpina fit the LSD on his B5 : it's clearly evident in that clip the car doesn't have it, look at the wheels spinning (when I was in London to install the Quaife I saw a B5 that was there for the same mod) .

Unfortunately, it dosn't have some devices our E60s have : Dynamic Drive Control (active roll stabilization, you can see it in the vid), Actyve Steering, sport steering wheel, sport setup, heated steering wheel, little spare tire, Mtech kit, Active Cruise Control .

Can't wait to drive that supercharged 545i !

PS :
Can you get a B5S and swap the stock pulley with a smaller one (as I did on my CooperS), gaining 40-50 HP with EUR 100 in parts and 200 in installation ?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='513605' date='Jan 4 2008, 09:35 AM
I already posted it, but check this video on YT (00.27) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrFnYmUB5ho

Look at how much torque it has

The Alpina clearly seems lighter than the M5/M5 and better balanced .

Because those pigs by BMW didn't want to let Alpina fit the LSD on his B5 : it's clearly evident in that clip the car doesn't have it, look at the wheels spinning (when I was in London to install the Quaife I saw a B5 that was there for the same mod) .

Unfortunately, it dosn't have some devices our E60s have : Dynamic Drive Control (active roll stabilization, you can see it in the vid), Actyve Steering, sport steering wheel, sport setup, heated steering wheel, little spare tire, Mtech kit, Active Cruise Control .

Can't wait to drive that supercharged 545i !
Honestly, those BMW engineers need to put their egos aside, and tell the exec. to acquire Alpina.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I guess that's the trade-off with the Alpina -- all the models are very clearly (in my mind at least!) positioned / aligned the current BMW models. E.g. The B3 sits perfectly in a segment between the 335i and the M3. It could be an M3 competitor, but there are certain specs, like those you Alex mentioned above, that are not on the B3 -- i.e. BMW protecting its M3.

Its a pretty smart way of covering and controlling the "niche" driver markets for both companies.

(As it happends, I actually wanted to order the Alpina D3 instead of my current 520d, but our fleet manager blocked it as it was not deemed to be appropriate for a company car -- ah well, I not complaining now with my E60, but owning an Alpina is still on my "things to-do before I die list"!!)
Old 01-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='513605' date='Jan 4 2008, 04:35 PM

I have just reviewed the (German) article again, and they state that the M5 has "razor sharp steering" and a "fine balanced suspension". The "comfort slips into the back-ground", because the "M5 suspension is very hard". It then goes on to state, "Surprising: the dynamics of the Alpina. Even though it is designed to be more comfortable, it masters the track and is an excellent compromise between the AMG and M5 set-ups."

I hope that quick translation makes sense. Unfortunately it is not a long article and is not go into real detail. It does however seem to reflect the comments you made about the features in the M5, which are missing from the B5.

As for the video, I agree, pretty obvious to see they did not fit the LSD!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='513560' date='Jan 4 2008, 06:28 AM
I haven't resisted and 5 minutes ago I called the BMW-Alpina dealer in my city, asking to test the Alpina B5 .

The man said they have a demo sample, currently on vacation with the boss

I will recall in 10-15 days to fix a date for the test drive .

I pretended to be interested, saying "The M5 has no torque, it is heavy and aspirated" and the man "yes, the B5 is another car, it has another kind of power, I tried it and it's really stunning" .

And this will be the first step of the 2000 km project ..
Hello AlexFW!!!!

I am jealous. I admire Alpina's from a far. Awesome cars although I didn't realize so much "performance equipment" Active Steering etc is not available however Alpina's strike me as a "purer" version of a BMW, less electronics...

You can for the first time get an Alpina in the US but it is the $100k plus B7

Give me a B5 in Alpina blue and I promise not to ask for another car for at least a couple years
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='513896' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:41 AM
Hello AlexFW!!!!
Hello!!

I am jealous. I admire Alpina's from a far. Awesome cars although I didn't realize so much "performance equipment" Active Steering etc is not available however Alpina's strike me as a "purer" version of a BMW, less electronics...
You can get your 545i with all steerings, active roll etc and superchage it

You can for the first time get an Alpina in the US but it is the $100k plus B7

Give me a B5 in Alpina blue and I promise not to ask for another car for at least a couple years
That engine should have many possibilities to increase its power : pulley, a complete exhaust etc. and you would have 600 HP, starting from 530 . With +30% torque compared to the V12 760i .

In Europe a 7 series would be a biiiig car, but there you can buy and enjoy it!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I alway love all the Alpina cars
you guys are very lucky.
no way on this earth will there be a B5 in HK, never seen a Alpina car in HK. I have seen afew in UK.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 AM
Senior Members

Who can traslate from German ?

=)

The engine seems smooth, but that car needs new springs, coilovers etc.

Quick Reply: Alpina dealer