E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

All types of warnings and failure messages

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05' 545i

Originally Posted by za3879' post='737933' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:13 PM
Well when I gave it a whirl last night prior to sleeping, everything was cool and seemed like nothing ever happend. I dont know if I should just change it out anyway or risk the situation...

see if the computer recorded the incident with a fault code or something...that way we can pinpoint exactly what the hell that was....... usually when an alternator goes out, it stays out. see if whatshisname @ stealership can run diagnostic
Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Or is it only a MY 2004 (who knows a 2003) battery that needs to be replaced?

BMW alternators usually last, but the drive belt need to be renewed once in a while.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='737993' date='Dec 4 2008, 04:45 PM

BMW alternators usually last, but the drive belt need to be renewed once in a while.

I just dropped off the car to the stealer. Showed the guys what was happening as it was in full effect when I got there. I actually replaced the battery about two months ago myself so its not a bad battery. They said that its probably just a few loose connections or something and they see this issue commonly when people change out the battery themselves when everything isnt torqued properly or something. They reassured me it isnt as deep as I might think.
I'm hoping it isn't the alternator, and I'd be shocked if it went bad this fast.

I'll keep you guys posted when my SA calls tomorrow. Time to bounce around the good ol' Lex in the meantime...

They gave some guy with a 3 series, an X6 loaner. I wanted that
Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='737993' date='Dec 4 2008, 04:45 PM

+1 on the belt
Old 12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by za3879' post='737998' date='Dec 4 2008, 11:51 PM
They said that its probably just a few loose connections or something and they see this issue commonly when people change out the battery themselves when everything isnt torqued properly or something. They reassured me it isnt as deep as I might think.
I'm hoping it isn't the alternator, and I'd be shocked if it went bad this fast.
I'll keep you guys posted when my SA calls tomorrow. Time to bounce around the good ol' Lex in the meantime...
They gave some guy with a 3 series, an X6 loaner. I wanted that

So you did change the battery yourself!

Hope you drive a 1-series loaner!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i M54 Manual, Saphire Black Metallic, Purchased 03/2004 Standard Equipment: Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights, PDC, Airbags all Around, Folding Mirrors, Active Steering, Extended Lights Package, Aluminium/Black Interior, Heated Black Dakota Leather Comfort Seats, Folding Rear Seats w/Ski Bag, Logic7Audio, Car Key Memory. Retrofitted: ///M Tech Aero Kit, ///M Tech Wing Mirrors, ///M5-Forged Wheels, G-Power Quad Exhaust.

if you attached a more powerful battery, you have to update your charge- management. (it only can be done by your dealer)

I replaced my 85Ah battery by a 100Ah.
Then i realised that may alternator didn?t generate voltage (engine on ->11,7V)
Later i installed my old battery (engine on -> 14,5V -> the alternator is working)

regards

"i also got several failure messages with my old battery, with my new battery the troubles are gone "
Old 12-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option
Smile

[quote name='Centaurus' date='Dec 13 2008, 08:36 AM' post='744431']
if you attached a more powerful battery, you have to update your charge- management. (it only can be done by your dealer)

Later i installed my old battery (engine on -> 14,5V -> the alternator is working)

regards

"i also got several failure messages with my old battery, with my new battery the troubles are gone "
[/quote

When I had replaced the battery myself, I had gotten the exact same one.
Here's an update for everyone that posted on this topic:

I spent $1228.00 because the dealer said that I needed a new alternator based on the diagnostics and seeing the problem first hand.
They also warrantied the battery I put in and put a brand new one in. At first they had suspected it was the 'brain' / computer of the car.
That was later dismissed and we moved forward with the alternator repair. I told them to make sure everything was fine and keep the car an extra day to monitor the situation. I got the car back, put it in the garage as a snow storm for a few weeks dumped on us here in MI and I periodically started the car up and everything seemed to be fine. Today was a nice 50 degree day, so I took her out for a ride and after 20 minutes, I came into the exact same issues as before.

The warning messages include:
- check battery terminals
- ABS
- Dynamic malfunction
- iDrive screen keeps flashing/blinking, etc
- Active steering error
- car wont start again, unless i let her rest for 20 minutes and it will give me a weak start and i'll be skeptical if i can make it to a destination if I have to stop at a light. The problems only happen when I stop and am waiting at a light. The car seems to be losing power at a stand still, the screen goes haywire, and everything lights up.

With a new battery and alternator in place - now what can it be?
I also shouldn't have to pay for whatever the repair might cost now if I'm correct, right? I paid for something that I didnt need.
Is this something the dealer should handle w/o giving me any trouble or what?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by za3879' post='737317' date='Dec 3 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm trying to find the links on the thread for the issues I just faced. I came across:
ABS, DSC, AS, handbrake light, and some funny yellow clock looking display, and -640000km, and the car wouldnt start, and iDrive kept going in and out.
My battery is about two months old. Not sure why this might be happening. I tried to search but came up with limited results.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help...

I can put up pics if need be...

I had the same problem with my car, it was a cable that went from the battery it was a $400 fix but warranty covered it. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i M54 Manual, Saphire Black Metallic, Purchased 03/2004 Standard Equipment: Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights, PDC, Airbags all Around, Folding Mirrors, Active Steering, Extended Lights Package, Aluminium/Black Interior, Heated Black Dakota Leather Comfort Seats, Folding Rear Seats w/Ski Bag, Logic7Audio, Car Key Memory. Retrofitted: ///M Tech Aero Kit, ///M Tech Wing Mirrors, ///M5-Forged Wheels, G-Power Quad Exhaust.

Originally Posted by Centaurus' post='744431' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:36 PM

regards

two weeks after replacing the battery i got once again my warning messages
Now my dealer can?t find any defects?
Meanwhile i hate my car and now it?s for sale

@Gordast
please, anymore information!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Centaurus' post='755959' date='Dec 30 2008, 10:25 PM
two weeks after replacing the battery i got once again my warning messages
Now my dealer can?t find any defects?
Meanwhile i hate my car and now it?s for sale

@Gordast
please, anymore information!!!!!!!!
Sorry to hear that.
So they're sure it's not the alternator either?

Quick Reply: All types of warnings and failure messages